+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surfacing vs Full Hip Replacement  (Read 6366 times)

silvercat

Surfacing vs Full Hip Replacement
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »
I went in to Stanford University Hospital finally to talk to Dr Stuart Goodman.  I saw the xrays and the right is real bad (no cartilage and some bone spurs).  I was familiar with the resurfacing for about 5 years since I started looking into the procedures.  The Dr was not a fan of resurfacing and he never said that I was a poor candidate for it but really promoted the hip replacement.  I am 60 and in good health.  I would like to be active again.  He seemed to be indicating that any impact activity would not be recommended.  Swimming and biking ok.  I can deal with that.  However, logically I think that it makes more sense to go with resurfacing.  So I looked up surfacing at Palo Alto Medical, a Dr Hartford.  If they take my insurance I will go see this Dr. Hartford.  Should I be paying for the second opinion?  I believe it was Birmingham or Cormet that he uses.  Anyway, what do you all think about this situation.  I am actually on the Stanford surgery schedule for Oct 23rd.  How should I handle this situation with the (2) differing opinions?

Thanks

Kay22

Re: Surfacing vs Full Hip Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »
My doctor at first recommended a THR, and when I asked about a BHR for the flexibility it would give me, he had me go do a bone density scan.  When we found that I had good bone density, he told me that I could choose my surgery.  I had my right hip done--BHR--in June, and will soon schedule the left hip.  My doctor would not have done a BHR if I had not had good bone density; to him, that is the real issue behind the age restriction often quoted on the BHR.  I'm over 60, but I want to stay active.  Hope this helps.  By the way, the surgery was quite tolerable and the recovery, with physical therapy, decent--had to work through a limp that is now pretty much gone.  Kay22.

muzza

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »
I'm presently recovering from my second hip resurfacing.  I'm sixty five years old.  My other hip was done at sixty three. Bone density rather than age was the determining factor for my surgeon. From everything that I've read, if your bones are good and you want to get back to being active, resurfacing is the best available option.  I'm delighted with my own results to date.

Neil

larry2458

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »
of the people that i know who've had hip operations,3, including me, had re-surfacing, were active before and active after.
the others (4) had total hip replacement hips,one was supposed to have a resurfaced hip but was found to have cysts so had a total hip instead.he was actve before and still is.
of the other three,two have limps and the other one is ok.
don't know if this means anything.
                                                     larry, happy as
lbmh 16th october 2008

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
Larry,

Glad to hear you're doing so well, although the numbers you present are not statitiscally relevent due to the low sample rate it's my opinion that hip resurfacing people overall do make out very well post-op, often without any problems whatsoever.

My hip was so bad I could have walked 100 yards pre-op, this Summer after 1 year I am able to water ski, white water raft and all of the other things I was unable to do pre-op.... my golf game has also improved a lot!

Chuck

of the people that i know who've had hip operations,3, including me, had re-surfacing, were active before and active after.
the others (4) had total hip replacement hips,one was supposed to have a resurfaced hip but was found to have cysts so had a total hip instead.he was actve before and still is.
of the other three,two have limps and the other one is ok.
don't know if this means anything.
                                                     larry, happy as
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

silvercat

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:43 AM »

While viewing my x-rays and before I brought up the resurfacing, the doctor pointed out that I had very thick bone walls (my words as I can't remember if he used a medical term).  As I recall the white image showing bone in the x-ray was 2/3 of the total thickness and the other 1/3 was the middle dark area (marrow area?).  Is this what you mean by bone density?  If so, mine is better than average.    Or does the doctor actually need to do a separate test for bone density?

My doctor at first recommended a THR, and when I asked about a BHR for the flexibility it would give me, he had me go do a bone density scan.  When we found that I had good bone density, he told me that I could choose my surgery.  I had my right hip done--BHR--in June, and will soon schedule the left hip.  My doctor would not have done a BHR if I had not had good bone density; to him, that is the real issue behind the age restriction often quoted on the BHR.  I'm over 60, but I want to stay active.  Hope this helps.  By the way, the surgery was quite tolerable and the recovery, with physical therapy, decent--had to work through a limp that is now pretty much gone.  Kay22.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear