+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Return to Kettlebell  (Read 4611 times)

Tekka

Return to Kettlebell
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I know some of us KB, I have been using and teaching KB for many years and it was a staple part of my training/conditioning.

My return to training has been structured and careful, it is important to emphasis this point as I would not want everyone to think I have been irresponsible. I have just finished what I consider a full KB session...WHOW, I don't know why I am so surprised!! the guys I train with are in there twenties and they can't believe how ballistic and how good my form looks.

Honestly, I never thought I would pick up a bell again, being pain free is great but being able to continue with an active lifestyle is a bonus I never thought  would happen.

If anyone would like to swap bell session's great, I know Spencer throws a bell !!

Best wishes

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Return to Kettlebell
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
Way to go Terry! I love the KB swings for improving my hip strength. I usually incorporate the KB into my crossfit routine. Yesterday we did 3x(12kb swings, 12kb cleans, 12 sumodeadlift hi-pull). Only rest when you have to ;)

What was your routine?

spencer

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Hi Spencer, i'm so pleased mate..

Today we did the following, the recovery time is when your partner is doing his set, or if feeling really good, you shadow box while your partner does his set and then you go straight on when your partner finishes, I only say this because as you know the cv of a bell session is wicked.

3 X 10 SWINGS                              16KG BELL
3 X 10 CLEANS, ON EACH ARM          16KG BELL
3 X 10 SNATCH, ON EACH ARM          16KG BELL

1 X 10 SWINGS                               32KG BELL
1 X 7   SWINGS                               32KG BELL
1 X 5   SWINGS                               32KG BELL

Were all blowing now.....

3 X 5 SHOULDER PRESS EACH ARM      32KG

1 X 60SECOND HELD SQUAT WITH A TOWEL THROUGH THE HANDLE OF BELL
1 X 45SECOND  DITTO
1 X 30 SECOND DITTO

Although now tired, things are slowed down and we finish off with a couple of turkish stand up's, this is great for trying to keep your core stability when shattered.

I still can't believe I can get back to this, that said I think all the 100's of glute excersises I have done had paid off.

Cheers Spencer

Terry

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
Terry,

That's an impressive workout. The 32kg kicks my a$$. Keep up the outstanding work. I'm very happy for you!!!

spencer

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »
Hi

Do you know of any good websites which demonstrate how to do these exercises?

Thanks

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Tekka

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
Hi Ed,

If you want to get the best from a bell, then you really need to capture the swing,clean,snatch. If these are not done correctly then the more flowery,eye catching bell routines are pointless mate.

I advocate a minimum of 20 to 30 hours is needed to swing the bell in the ballistic fashion needed to gain the long term benefits.

A great site to look at is www.intensefitness.co.uk, Stan is a proper old school strong guy, he does the bell justice.

Ed, if your in the Midlands give me shout and I would be happy to have a session or two REALLY I mean it.

Best wishes

Terry

bothdone

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 04:03:15 AM »
Hi Terry

Thanks for the information.  I'll have a good look at the website.   Thanks also for your offer to show me how to do the exercises.   Alas I'm way down in the South West so won't be able to make it.

Best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

John11

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
Hi Terry,
Just a quick question....How many weeks post-op were you when you started KB work again ?

JW
John
RBHR 12/3/09
Revision to MOM THR 5/21/10

Tekka

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
Hi JW,

It was seven months before I looked at my bells, at month seven I performed some easy sessions and within 3-4 weeks I was back to a reasonable level. I now swing 1-2 two times a week in combination with my other training...

If you swing a bell, you know how un-forgiving the bell can be, you must keep perfect form...do not be in a rush to get back to the bell mate.

I wish you well mate.

Regards

Terry

John11

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:36 AM »
Thanks Terry,

It's hard to be patient, I just got a 24kg competition KB for Christmas (ordered before my surgery). I'm only 4 weeks post-op. I talked with a Crossfit KB instructor who started doing light KB presses 3 weeks post-op. I'm not going to be that aggressive but I figure as long as I can do KB work I won't worry too much about doing the big lifts (Squat, Press, Deadlift). Definitely going to take it slow. Last thing I want is a broken femoral neck and revision to THR.

JW
John
RBHR 12/3/09
Revision to MOM THR 5/21/10

Tekka

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
Best wishes on your recovery JW....

morris44

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
I'm a kettlebell-er as well. haven't done it for awhile, quit when my hip got real bad. i'm 5 weeks post op now.

I have started a circuit training workout where i incorporate my pt hip work into my upperbody strenght training.

just using free weights so far, plan to add the bell later.

I like Pavel's dvd's.

http://www.powerbypavel.com/

briandb

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 06:46:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

I know some of us KB, I have been using and teaching KB for many years and it was a staple part of my training/conditioning.

My return to training has been structured and careful, it is important to emphasis this point as I would not want everyone to think I have been irresponsible. I have just finished what I consider a full KB session...WHOW, I don't know why I am so surprised!! the guys I train with are in there twenties and they can't believe how ballistic and how good my form looks.

Honestly, I never thought I would pick up a bell again, being pain free is great but being able to continue with an active lifestyle is a bonus I never thought  would happen.

If anyone would like to swap bell session's great, I know Spencer throws a bell !!

Best wishes

Terry

Thanks for sharing this Terry!  How long after surgery was this?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat