+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain in Nonsurgical Leg  (Read 1696 times)

katfisch

Pain in Nonsurgical Leg
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
I am now just a little over 8 weeks post op left hip resurfacing.  I had my 6 week post op visit 9/1 and at that time was told to stop using the crutches.  Initially, I was extremely unsteady with walking and leaned very much to the left.  I was given a new set of exercises to do - lay on my right side (the non-operated hip) and lift my left leg 30 times and do this 3 times a day.  I told the doctor at my visit that I had been having a problem with cramping type pain in my right hip and thigh for past 1-2 weeks.  Due to the fact that I have hip dysplasia in both hips - my left was far worse than my right - the explanantion I received was that my right hip had to bear much of the work post operatively and the symptoms I was experiencing may be related to that. But to do the exercises to see if it would improve.  I also think my legs are going through an adjustment with the implant - I know my left leg was shorter than my right before surgery - so, I can accept that the muscles have to adjust to these changes.  My walking has improved somewhat, but I find myself going back to the "swaying, waddling" type gait I had before surgery because of the pain I am having in my right leg - and, I do not want to do that.  I am also having a problem sitting for longer than 15-20 minutes without experiencing pretty severe cramping in my right thigh - if I do not stand and move, the cramping pain does gets worse.  I called my doctor and  he explained recovery is different for everyone, which I understand - but, what can I do to relieve this cramping?  He recommended to continue with the exercises - he does not advise PT as the concern is too much stress can cause the femoral neck to fracture. I am allowed to drive - but, if I am in the sitting position for longer than 15 minutes (and, my drive to work one way is 20 minutes) - my right leg goes into such a cramp, it make driving very painful. Walking and exercising do help to relieve symptoms- but, Iam having a hard time wlaking a normal gait.  I need reassurance that this will subside and if anyone has any other suggestions, please advise.  Thoughts are appreciated.
katfisch

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Pain in Nonsurgical Leg
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
Hi

I had really bad cramping the week after surgery.  It was suggested I get some magnesium to take.  Also Calcium helps with cramping and drinking lots of water.  Being dehydrated can cause cramping. 

It sounds like you are going thru some major adjustement of your body.  Maybe getting a massage for your legs would also help the cramping.

I am not a doctor and would not know what else to suggest.  Hopefully, with time, everything will get back to normal. It does take time for the body to heal and try to get back in balance after having a bad hip for a long time.

I had my unoperated hip act up on me during recovery.  I ended up with bursitus in it since I was doing a lot more on the stationary bike and walking.  I ended up getting a shot in my unoperated hip for the bursitius.  The unoperated hip takes a beating when it has to bear a lot of extra load.  Again, hopefully in time everything will work out.  Doing some water therapy or water walking might also help a lot with your stiffness.  It helped me quite a bit around the 6 week recovery period.  Here is a list of what I did http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

katfisch

Re: Pain in Nonsurgical Leg
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »
Pat,
Thanks for your advice - I massaged the hip last evening while watching TV and was able to get some relief - and, I am thinking that may be the way to go.  I feel like the muscles in my right leg just get really tight to the point of spasm. Your words of encouragement made me feel better. I have been taking Calcium since before the surgery - I can try Magnesium as well.  And I will also concentrate on more fluids. Thanks -
katfisch

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal