+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: bus ride  (Read 3543 times)

Lake girl

bus ride
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
Hi all,

I've finally gotten a surgery date, Dec 01. After going through so much for the last couple years waiting and waiting, I thought that I would feel relief, but I have been feeling increasingly nervous and unsure.

I live in British Columbia and I'm planning on taking the Health Bus(cheap transportation through medical) down to Vancouver  for my surgery. It's a 12 hour bus ride, plus 45 min to get to the bus pick up spot. The bus makes stops every hour or two for pick ups and drop offs. My worry isn't getting there, it's getting back. I'm planning on taking the bus home the day after I get out of hospital, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Really I'm feeling kind of scared about it.

I haven't talked to my Dr about it yet. If push comes to shove I can fly back home. The flight would only be two hours long plus the 45 min drive home. Staying in Vancouver longer isn't an option for me. I'm going down on Nov 22, then I see the surgeon on the 23rd.
I meet with the anestheseologist sometime during that week(don't know when yet), then surgery on Dec 1. They're anticipating a three day hospital stay, which puts the date around Dec 4. That's a really long stretch for me to be away from my husband and kids. I'll be staying with my sister in law so I won't be alone, but, I haven't been away from my family that long before.

Should I take the bus?  ??? I'm starting to think about blood clots. It would be pretty near impossible to keep my leg elavated on the bus.

Lake girl
Still on the waiting list

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: bus ride
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Hi Lake Girl

I can tell you definitely, there is no way you could take a 12 hour bus ride the day after surgery!  You will hardly be able to get out of bed and move around.  Everyone is different, but this is major, major surgery.  I went to Belgium to get my hip resurfacing.  I was told I must stay 9 days post op before flying home on an 8 1/2 hour flight.  I did take heprin shots in my stomach - 2 just before the flight.  I was also told to stand and walk eveyr 45 minutes.  This is very important to prevent blood clots.  I had a quick and easy recovery, but the flight back was still very long.  I had bulkhead seats which gave me more room and it still felt tight.

You are going to have to re-think you travel plans back home.  Perhaps your hospital has some recovery facility or at least a hotel close by where you can still get some care if needed.  This is not a walk in the woods surgery - it is major, major stuff.

You generally can't sit for more than 1/2 hour or more right after surgery.  It is too sore and you are way to tired to even be awake that long. 

Your surgeon will certainly have some suggestions for you.  I can't imagine he would even think of letting you take a bus ride the next day more less in the next 5 days.  You would not even be able to get on the bus the next day.  That is the day most people are just getting out of bed.  You will be very weak and possible very much in pain and could be nauseated.  You need to talk about all of this with your surgeon so you get good pain meds and don't get sick post op. Tell them about all of your concerns.

Please remember this is a great surgery and many of us have had fast recoveries - but it takes a week or two to even get your body back to working somewhat normally.  It is nothing to be afraid of, but to plan for your recovery.

Please keep in touch and think more about how you will handle this. 
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kb134

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »
Hi Lakegirl,
Congrats on your surgery date! I agree with Pat about sitting for that length of time ... Is it the $ that has you tentative about flying and considering a long bus ride?
BTW, who is your surgeon here? What device - if you know yet. For traveling, consider Compression Socks.

Lake girl

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
Hi Pat,

I didn't mean that I would be going the day after my surgery but, 5 days after. I am just beginning to make plans for the trip so there's no problem with changing transportation. Our medical plan will cover the cost of a flight so I think that I'll go in that direction.

My surgeon is Dr Clive Duncan and I'm going to get it done at UBC Hospital. I don't know yet what device I'm getting. I've only talked breifly on the phone with him to date.

Lake girl

kb134

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:02 AM »
Hi Lake Girl!
How are you doing?
Keep in mind that the local surgeons here aren't advocating hip resurfacing anymore because of issues with the Durom Hip Resurfacing device, and a published paper out of Oxford regarding Hip Resurfacing and Pseudo-Tumours ...
Dr Duncan will, if you haven't seen him already, be advocating a metal on highly cross-linked polyethylene - essentially, a Total Hip Replacement (or THR.) The BC medical system will cover a THR, and one that a surgeon recommends. If you deviate from the surgeon's preference or prescribed device, then the patient has to pay for the device.
So, figure out how this applies to you so you are not surprized when you get here.
Keep in touch, and much blessing!

Lake girl

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
Hey there KB134,

I'm doing well, getting all my ducks in a row for the upcoming surgery. I've been trying to get out and go for a walk everyday to be in half decent shape for recovery.

I don't know about surgeons not advocating HRs here. Both my GP and surgeon said that I was a good candidate for this procedure, and not one mention about having to pay for it. I still don't know what device I'll be getting. I'm having a face to face appt. Nov 23 so I'll find out then.

I thought that I saw some literature that said that they quit using the Durom device because of issues. I thought that Dr Duncan mentioned a MOM device, but again not sure. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

How's your hip now? Did you have a revision?

Lake girl

Lake girl

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
So it turns out that you were right. I just got in touch with the surgeon's office and they have me schedualed for a THR. If I want an HR I would have to pay $4168 up front. So I guess I'll be getting a THR. I have to start looking into that now.

Lake girl

MarilynRS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:57:51 AM »
You might want to consider - just consider - paying the money to have the right to keep your bones....  the government doesn't have to live with the choice they're pushing through finances - you will... 

I've had to pay lots and lots of money for my choices for my body....  which means lots less money for my family in all sorts of things, most all clothing used from Good Will, lots of rice and beans, etc etc.  I'll be paying probably for another year or so.  But I am so jazzed with the results!!!  and the knowledge that I have most of my original body. 

.... just some thoughts. 
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

kb134

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Hi Lake Girl,
I am so glad that we're talking about this now, and not later. Yes, at VGH and at UBC, they have stopped using the Durom Hip Resurfacing and the Durom Large Diameter-Head MOM (THR-style) device, due to poor results with the Durom Acetabular Cup and high Metal-Ion issues with the MOM device.
And now that you know for sure that you have to pay for a resurfacing - they've switched back to implanting the successful Birmingham Hip Resurfacing - you have the time to think about the choices before you.
Remember, doctors in Vancouver are not the only ones who do hip surgeries. And, considering that your bone-stock is good, and that you are spending the money to travel for surgery, your options are still open.
Just because the THR is "free" does not mean it will be the best choice. Do the homework - look into what the differences are between a Resurfacing and a THR. I am trying to remain un-biased as I write, but I know from experience that Dr Duncan and other Vancouver Hip Surgeons do not advocate Hip Resurfacing, even though they will implant one at the patient's request.
However, I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Dr John Antoniou in Montreal, and he is a strong advocate for Resurfacing, and has seen positive results with Metal on Metal devices.
Do your homework ... you owe it to yourself to make the best informed choice, not just the cheapest.
With Sincerity,
Klint

kb134

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
As for my revision ...
I have a loose Durom Acetabular Cup, and as per my last meeting with Dr Duncan (not the surgeon who implanted my device) my revision will be in approx. three months. It has been a terrible and frustratingly long wait to get answers ... and another wait to get this pain finally dealt with.
So, I urge you, learn all that you can before any appointment, and ask the hard and blunt questions, like,
"How many hip resurfacings have you personally, not collectively, have you done?"
You need an experienced surgeon for this task, not a surgeon who specializes in implanting Metal on Polyethylene THR's and revisions.
You also need a device with a sound track record. And for resurfacing or any device - find the results for yourself. Talk to other patients, like you are doing here :)) And good for you for doing that! And get in some good exercise. Being as fit as possible for surgery is like investing in your recovery.
Keep posting.
Best.

Lake girl

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
Hi Klint,
      Thanks for all the concern and great info. I think that I am going to go for the THR though. I've already put my kids and family through quite a bit to get to this point and I just want it to be over with. I know that a HR would probably be better but everything has been planned out. Cargivers in place for the kids, plane tickets purchased, I just want to get fixed up and go on with my life.

Again thanks for all the advice.

Lake girl

kb134

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »
Hi Lake Girl,
I hear you. There are going to be some choices before you concerning which THR device will be best for you. So if this is the direction that you are leaning towards then I recommend a bit more study. Know what you are getting.
There are a few different combinations of the Acetabular Liner and Femoral Component materials.
Metal on Metal
Metal on Polyethylene (not sure if straight-up polyethylene is obsolete, due to Highly Cross-Linked type)
Metal on Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene
Ceramic on Ceramic
Ceramic on Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene
Check out this link:

http://www.hip-clinic.com/en/hip-info/treatment.html

just copy and paste into your address bar.

Understand the terms: Osteolysis, Septic Loosening, Aseptic Loosening (Not to scare you, just to inform you.)

And understand the relevance of the diameter of the Femoral Head, from whichever material you choose to ask for the largest size possible - so a 32mm to a 36mm femoral head, depending on your bone size and allowances. The larger the femoral head diameter, the more stable it is, and thus, a decreased possibility of dislocation. However, studies do show that at 36mm and above, (40mm, 44mm) that stabilty becomes relative - in relation to a THR. Resurfacing, which involves larger femoral component diameters, are more anatomically correct, and gives a patient an incredibly stable joint.
I am not a doctor. But I want you to "know" what you are getting, and not just be led around by the nose, so to speak.
For me, only wish that I was not as ignorant as I was when going in for hip surgery.

Best.

kb134

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
And,
the only device coupling that BC Med will cover is the Metal on Polyehtylene, which I think covers Metal on Highly Cross-Linked Poly too.

fedup

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »
So Klint, are you getting a metal on highly cross linked polyethylene? Mine is still doing well, better than my loose Durom ever did... Good luck. I am still holding off on getting anything done with my other hip and my metal levels are gradually coming down, now 6 months post revision. And Lakegirl., as far as the bus ride goes, I would avoid this at all costs. Hopefully the airline can take good care of you on the way home.. Do you have the equipment in place at home for when you return? Hope all goes well.

Carrie

• Nov 2009 Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt
    • Us dancing prior
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 04:44:53 AM »
Hello All,

Carrie is having her surgery on the Wednesday the 25th of November and we are flying  to Phoenix and driving to Tucson on Sat the 28th. I got the OK from Lee at Dr. Gross's office. I did take flight insurance as it seemed chancy at best to me. Right now the important thing is she that she gets that hip done, she was limping  at the Mall today but her spirits are high.  The flight home will be just another detail.  Once that shinny new  hip is in place, I will breath a lot easier.

Tom

11/09  Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Tom,

I cannot stress this more, Carrie is going to be fine.  I've never met a doctor who told me that he all but guaranteed me that I would be fine, call it cocky, call it confident Dr. Gross is the real deal.

You guys will love Lee, she is one of the most compassionate people I've ever met in my life.  I love their southern draw..... of course being yankees ourselves they probably think we talk funny too.   :D

Don't worry, let Dr. Gross worry about it.

Before Carrie makes the trip back take the max amount of vicoden that Dr. Gross allows and she will be fine, just make sure before you leave she tolerates the vicoden well. Carrie WILL be swollen when she gets home the next day, elevate & ice a lot.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats