+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Weeks Post op Doing so much better  (Read 3053 times)

jj76751

3 Weeks Post op Doing so much better
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
Hi All!

I was at 3 weeks on Aug. 16, 2009.  I have to say that I have never regretted having the surgery.  It was the best thing I could have done.  I am feeling great most of the time.  I'm only taking Vicadin on occasion when I over do it.  I am walking with a cane I could go without but when I go 2 days in a row I usually pay for it on the 3rd day so I feel it is better to continue to use it rather than have to pay the price.  One of my problems now is that I want to get out there and do things but remembering that I still need to take it easy.  I am having a problem sleeping but it's not due to pain so I end up napping in the middle of the day.

The incision is healing up very well and I had very little if any swelling.  Does anyone know when they usually let you start swimming again?  Does the scab from the incision have to be completely gone?  I really want to start swimming again.

Tuesday the 22nd I go for my 3 week apt. with Dr. Rector.

Have a great day! :)

CeeJay15

Re: 3 Weeks Post op Doing so much better
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »
HI fellow Dr. Rector hippy!
So glad that you are doing well. I started swimming at about 4 weeks - so only a week or so more to go for you! The scabs need to be gone before you can go in the water.
I am going on 10 weeks post op. I don't need a cane - I can walk as long as I want to. I ride my mountain bike out here on the canal road behind my house. I go to the gym every morning before work and lift weights and do cardio. It's amazing how good I feel and how great it is to be pain free!
Best,

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

MarilynRS

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »
Congrats Ceejay.  You sound like you're doing so great.  And good for you for making/taking the time to go to the gym each day.  Wow!  It's hard to imagine, but I would like to get there even 3 times a week.  I'm still just walking around my neighborhood, which feels good.  Are you doing weighted exercises involving legs or hips? 

Good night,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

CeeJay15

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
Hi Marilyn -

I feel better if I go to the gym before work. I slept in a couple of times and it seems like my hip and the surrounding muscles were stiffer, so I make a point to get my butt up out of bed and go.
I am doing leg extensions, leg curls, leg press and seated leg curls using light weights. I also do the adductor/abductor machines and have been increasing the weight steadily. Then I squat with no weight.
I've started to ride the spin bike for about 30 minutes a day. The trainer remarked this morning that he just cannot believe I had surgery only two months ago.
I love it!

cj
Carolyn

jj76751

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
I just got back to Grand Junction from my apt. w/ Dr. Rector and he gave me the go ahead to swim, recumbant bike, elliptical trainer, leg presses, leg extensions,  etc. but no running which doesn't break my heart.  I was glad to see the x-ray as it calmed me know that there was nothing wrong going on in there.  It is kind of weird to see the hardware on your own x-ray though.  Dr. Rector said my incision looks great and it looked great on the x-rays as well.  Can't wait to start exercising and get some of this weight off.  All I can say is that I have absolutely no regrets and would definitely recommend Dr. Rector and his staff to anyone contemplating or who is on the fence.  Has anyone had any problems traveling with airport security and the metal hardware?  Thanks!

Judy :)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »
Hi Judy

I'm 3 weeks post op on Friday and it looks like I'm not that far behind you. You seem to be doing very well.

To be fair, I haven't put that much weight on, but my muscles have contracted as a result of not being able to follow my normal weekly excercise routines.

I'm hoping to start going to the gym again in a week or two and using stepper, crosstrainer and treadmill (sadly no running!!!!!).

Hope things continue to go well.

Regards

Gavin
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

CeeJay15

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
Hi Judy -

Glad to hear your post op appointment went well! Dr. Rector and staff are absolutely wonderful.

I know what you mean about seeing the implant on your own xray. Although I think it's rather awesome.

As far as security through airport check ins, Dr. Rector told me to just tell the security people that you've had total hip replacement (they won't know what a resurfacing is). Then they will wand you. That's what I did went I went to the local town hall meeting to see President Obama. They had a security gate set up exactly like at the airport. I told them I had total hip, they wanded me, it beeped at my hip level and I was sent through.

Best!

cj

ps - I don't really want to run either! LOL
Carolyn

jj76751

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »
This morning was a definite eye opener.  I finally got to take a bath and oh it felt so good.  Some of the things I couldn't do before the surgery was I couldn't shave my right leg without tweaking my body (shifting it) in a position to where I could reach to shave, I couldn't put on my socks without making adjustments as well.  Some of the things that you take for granted when you have a good hip with just daily living I can now do and was so excited to be able to do those things in a normal way.  I am so thankful for my new hip!!  Thanks for all the support!

Judy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal