+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waiting for a new BHR in Australia  (Read 1725 times)

david2009

Waiting for a new BHR in Australia
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
Hi Everyone, My name is David Mitchell. I now find myself four days away from have my right hip resurfaced with a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing device. Like others, my journey probably started some thirteen years ago when I was involved in a serious turbulance incident aboard a 747 aircraft en route to Tokyo from Cairns Australia. The incident itself was very scary, serious enough to put thirty nine people in hospital including some of the cabin staff. I suffered at the time, heavy bruising from my right armpit to my right knee, spinal compression in the dorsal region and a "sore" right hip. This required a month off work for recuperation. Things seemed to progress swimmingly, the occasional stiff knee and sore hip!! Fast forward nine to ten years. I noticed a slight click in my right groin and some stiffening of the gluteals in my right buttocks. Stretching and mobility exercises tended to help which enabled the daily two hour mountain bike rides. However, over time the stiffness became more and more prevalent requiring me to vist a physiotherapist (physical therapist in the US). A couple of weeks of therapy and back to normal. Some two months later again I notice the stiffening returning. The Physio informs me that I need to keep the joint mobile otherwise I will be up for a hip replacement. A scary prospect for an otherwise fit forty five year old. More therapy, with no abatement of the increasing pain in my lower back, right hip and stiff gluteals. my Physio then suggested a visit to a othopeadic surgeon. My GP had some concerns and ordered some films. The report noted degenerative arthritis and a narrowing of the femeral space. Osteoarthritis!! My GP then referred me to a Orthpeadic surgeon who very quickly confirmed the report, listed some options but very quickly inferred that a BHR was inevitable. Again, at now forty six, I was very nervous and concened that I was being advised to have a form of hip replacement at such a young age. A colleague of mine at work, who was a Physiotherapist in his past professional life, advised me to obtain a second opinion and referred me to Dr. Lawrence Kohan in Sydney Australia. Funnily enough, a friend of mine informed me that he too had the BHR procedure, further he had Dr. Kohan perform the procedure. He could not talk highly enough of Dr. Kohan. He also informed me that he was back running the sandhills at the six week mark post surgery. I could not believe this!! A visit to Dr. Kohan was facilitated and I was promptly informed that I indeed have Osteoarthritis. Most likely the cause was a trauma as I was too young to suffer the level of arthritis present. At the time I could not think of such a trauma, no car accidents and no football! My surgery was scheduled for February 20th 2009. However, two weeks prior to the surgery I recalled the turbulance incident and informed Dr. Kohan. He advised that I cancel the surgey and investigate workman's compensation as I was one of the crew aboard the aircraft. It is now August 21, and I have been through the loopholes and minefield with this approach and have decided to finally have the procedure and worry about the legal side at a later date. Dr. Kohan has performed in excess of 900 BHR procedures. This is comforting given his track record. He also informs me that I will have no pain at all, as he and his aneathatist have developed a drug protocol that will eliminate all pain. Apparently, Dr. McMinn has also adopted the same protocol. I survive each day on a 50mg Diclofenac tablet and two Panadeine (paracetamol/codeine). Panadeine is an over the counter pain tablet in Australia, however, not available over the counter in the US. The mountain biking stopped about twelve months ago. To make matters worse, both knees are now displaying symptons of arthritis. I may have a long journey ahead, but will take each day as it comes. Reading the stories on this website is truly reassurance that there is a pain free future. I will keep you all posted on my progress, while looking forward to reading all of your success stories. Cheers David

Tekka

Re: Waiting for a new BHR in Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
Hi David,

Your story is similar to lots of people here mate, I suppose the most important thing is to get back to being pain free, you will get lots of support and information from this community.

Just a comment, lots of people recover very quickly and get back to a high level of activity....but the example of running sandhills at six weeks is crazy mate, you don't need to be putting the BHR to this test so early, take your time and get strong in all the right places. This is a mojor operation and you will need to be realistic !!!

You will be amazed at the pain management, Doctor Kohan has invented an analgesic cocktail that is injected into the muscles on three occasions in the operation and it has eliminated to use of morphine post operative, Mr Mcminn does use this procedure and it is fantastic,"his own words".

The age is a strange one, when was told ten months ago at 42 that I needed a new hip I was in shock mate, but I did what you are doing, research and finding the best doctor to perform the operation, the hip will not improve and taking diclofenac is not great.

Good luck and I hope you get to be pain soon.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

mitchelldac

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
Gday Terry,

Thanks for the well wishes. Rest assured that I will not be putting the BHR to any tests such as my mate. The good news however, is that he returned from 3 days snow skiing last week at 13 months post op. No issues and nil pain. That certainly sounds great. My hope is to get back on the mountain bike at 6 months as advised by doctors Kohan & Kerr.

Further, I race go karts and hope to be back in the saddle March next year. Snowmobiling and jet skiing soon after. Three years of nought is too much. 10 - 12 kgs is too much. So a gradual excercise plan and slowly does it. I think you termed it realistic!!

Thanks again for your post. I am two days out. Off for a blood cross match this morning!

Cheers

Dave

chocolatedrop29

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
good day dave! could you please tell me about dr kohan ortho surgeon in sydney? i got diagnosed with LEFT HIP OP GRADE II-III october 2011. had the cortisone 2-3 weeks ago and the sports physician said that my next step and last resort would be total hip replacement. how many resurfacing has dr kohan done up to date? im 28 years old by the way.

hope to hear from you soon!
thanks
jc

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
Wow, seatbelt sign is on and put your tray table up, Batman!   :o  That's quite a story.  I know there is turbelence out there, but if it was that much, I hope they sent the airplane back to Boeing for a check up.

I suppose it could just be that you have early OA like many of us regardless of the incident.  Regardless, sounds like you picked a good surgeon and I think you made the right choice.  Pain free should be coming soon.  Good luck and keep us posted.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat