+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How does your new hip ultimately feel?  (Read 2514 times)

SteveT

How does your new hip ultimately feel?
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
I have a question for the veterans.  It's not certain yet, but it's looking like I'm headed toward some kind of procedure, either a resurfacing or a THR.  My question for those who have had a resurfacing and fully healed (say a year +) is what does it feel like? Are you aware of the device?  Can you move normally or are there residual sensations and motions even after a totally successful procedure? Do you feel something in the course of ordinary activities like walking, stairs, bending, turning, strectching, bike riding? And what about during harder exercise?  I see from the stories here that many people return to serious exercise, but does it feel "normal?"  Many thanks.

Steve

bothdone

Re: How does your new hip ultimately feel?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:17:37 PM »
Hi Steve

I'll try to give the best answer as I can.   I'm about 5.5 years on my first BHR and 18 months on my second.   I can honestly say I have never been "aware" of either device.    Both BHRs feel "normal" to me but remember I had years of restricted movement before both ops so what is normal for me might not be normal for someone else.  All I can say is that I do not feel the presence of either of the BHRs.

What I am aware of is tight muscles around both hips when I exercise a bit too much.   If I ease off, then the tightness eases off.   What can I say, I enjoy the exercise, so I take the tightness.  

A final point.   My BHRs have given me back a huge amount of "normality" in all kinds of areas.   If you need one (or two) and you are a suitable candidate for BHRs, then I hope it goes well.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:22:26 PM by bothdone »
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »
Hi Steve

I was never aware of a metal hip placed inside me except for it clunking - sort of a quiet thump which is felt and not heard, for awhile.  It was quite regular in the begining, but with time it became less and less.  Other than that - you don't know you have a metal hip.  You do feel the tenderness of the incision.  Some people have bruising and swelling while others don't.

I have been told and read medical studies that people with THRs often don't have that natural feeling that a resurfacing gives.  Medical studies conclude that people with resurfacings also have a more natural gait.  That is because they still have their complete femur bone left and the hip is operating as it did before surgery.  With a THR, so much bone is removed that the movement with the long stem is not as natural.  I have had people with one of each say that the resurfacing feels more natural. I would have to go searching for those stories and posts and just don't have time to do that, but it is something that people have really said.

So you won't know you have a metal hip in place except for a scar from the incision is everything goes at it should.  Using a really experienced surgeon pretty much gives you good odds of a great surgery. 

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:05:48 PM »
Hi Steve,
I'm at 13 months post-op.  At various times during the recovery process, I did feel clunking.  I noticed that the clunking seemed to occur each time I found a new range of motion.  But, the clunking was temporary.  Otherwise, no, you can't feel your metal hip at all.  For me, this surgery has been a huge success.    Yesterday, I went on a long mountain bike ride with technical downhill sections.  On Saturday, I played 18 holes of golf.  At 7 months post-op, I snowboarded in 3 feet of fresh powder.  I recently bought a new car with a manual transmission because I can once again drive one.  These are all things that I either had to give up at some point over the last 12 years, or continued to do, but with reduced performance and lots of painkillers. 

Right now, my resurfaced hip feels and performs better than my natural left hip did since my early twenties. 

In comparison to my good hip, my operated side does feel weaker.  That weakness began long before surgery due to my limited range of motion and many compromises for my hip.  Now that I'm past one year, I'm really focusing on working it harder to build more strength and agility in the hip, especially in preparation for snowboarding season.  It's been a slow process.  But, I'm confident that at some point, I'm thinking 18 months to 2 years, it really will be equally as strong and as flexible as my right hip.

Good Luck with your decision!

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

SteveT

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
To be honest, it's hard to imagine that you've got this fairly substantial piece of metal there (two, really) and it just ends up feeling normal.  But that seems to be the consensus and it's gratifying to hear.  I have a plate in my collarbone from a non-union I suffered a couple of years ago and, though I can do everything with it and it feels strong, there's no avoiding that there's a metal plate there and I can feel it quite well through the skin. Resurfaced hips, by the various responses, don't seem to intrude on how you feel like my collarbone does.

So thank you for your responses and thank you Pat for setting up this very informative website.

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
I doubt whether it's possible to feel a hip implant considering how deep that metal is inside you..... go Pat's surgery videos and watch how deep into your tissue those implants are. 

I think it would take a lot for those implants to be knocked loose because of how much muscle and tissue surround them.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
Hi Steve,

My new left hip feels completely natural.  I have never had sqeaking, clunking or cold sensations.  It is even more natural than a "crowned" tooth since I can feel the artificial surface with my tongue.  Since cemented "crowned" teeth hold up so well for so long under extreme pressures and repetitive forces, I expect my cemented left hip will last my lifetime.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
LOL

Steve, you've never had a crown come loose from the cement?

I have.  That cement is bad stuff   ;D

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
Chuck,

Yes, when I was flossing and pulled up, a crown came loose.
Cement is the "right stuff"! :)
The jury is still out for you uncemented guinea pigs of Dr. Gross ;).
Do you know when he expects to release a report for two years of service for the uncemented device?
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »
LOL

Now Steve, if you can pull a crown off that is cemented in, imagine what is going to happen to that ole BHR you got stuck in your hip?   :D

I bet as I type this that glue is getting all old and cracked just waiting for the next time you take a hike then bang......instant THR, right?   ;D 

All kidding aside, when I saw Gross in August he said that so far everything is good for his uncemented patients, personally I think it might be a bit longer before the jury comes back with a positive verdict.   My x-rays were really good, my implant has not budged a bit the bone has not thinned even a little bit. 

Dr. Gross was still very confident when I spoke with him.  If indeed Dr. Gross is correct you watch as a bunch of other implant makers rush to duplicate what Gross and Biomet have done. 

I do not know when Dr. Gross will be putting out a report, but even at 2 years + I do not think it's time to party yet.  Me, I am not waiting for good or bad, I'm going to live my life the way I did before I had hip problems, at 50 years plus I can still be active, in fact I'm going out tomorrow and buying a  Jet ski and I intend on enjoying the warm weather here until the rivers get too cold.... now that Obama and the rest of the dignitaries are gone we can once again enjoy our city and the rivers that we love to enjoy.

Is the weather turning colder up yonder?

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:19:48 AM »
Chuck,

The weather has moved into the fall rainy season and daily highs are about 50 F.  Waterfowl are moving through and last week I bagged some Canadian Geese and Blue Grouse.  I'm already thinking about the upcoming ski season as the early bird season pass is on sale.  My one year post-op is coming up this Tuesday and I'll send in an x-ray for evaluation.  I'm delighted to tromp over hill and dale and feel great with my new left hip.

Best wishes on your uncemented device.  If pioneering patients hadn't tried the BHR overseas 12 or more years ago, hip resurfacing would not have progressed to this point. 
Steve
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat