+-

Author Topic: Severe bone/muscular pain 10 months post-op  (Read 3901 times)

Creakyhips

• 38 with a resurfaced left hip, right to follow?
    • My experience having a BHR including surgical error
Severe bone/muscular pain 10 months post-op
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:31:31 AM »
Hi, I had a l/h resurfacing in July 08 which was complicated by an alignment pin being left insitu which was removed by a second op and further incision, I had an infection in the second wound which was treated by antibiotics due to a subcutaneous suture protruding through my skin! Recovery was I'm told normal, but June 09 I started suffering from sharp pain morning and evening in the wound area this has steadily and progressively got worse, to such an extent that I am unable to get out of bed or a chair without very strong sharp pain - now enough to make me reallly draw breath, its similar to post op pain. Furthermore I am unable to fully straighten my leg until I have carried a standing stretch!

I have seen a consultant who X-rayed my hip area and alignment appears fine, I have a MRI and US booked which may result in the area being aspirated if an infection is present.

I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar. I am worried as I am only in my 30's and am the earner in the household!

Creakyhips

• 38 with a resurfaced left hip, right to follow?
    • My experience having a BHR including surgical error
Re: Severe bone/muscular pain 10 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
An update.

2 weeks ago I had the US and MRI, followed by a guided aspiration of the joint and steroid injection. Since then the pain has subdued by about a third but is still occuring in the same pattern including lying in bed, getting on and off the sofa, stretching and certain flexing movements including car clutch operation.

The radiographer noted on the MRI that that the cause of the problem thank God is not a pseudo tumour and the fantastic ortho consultant Mr Peter McLardy Smith confirmed this morning that the soft tissue has not rejected the implant either but it is a trochanteric bursitis, which although difficult to treat is a great weight off my mind.

Heres to the future!

John C

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »
Interesting that my trochanteric bursitis also appeared at around one year, and was very sore for a couple of weeks. One month on Celebrex, combined with some exercises, has pretty much cleared mine up, though I occasionally will feel just a bit of it. Though you do not hear much about this, I did read an interview with one of the resurfacing surgeons who said that it was common with the posterior surgical approach that is most often used.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

stevel

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
John,

Do you have a link to the interview with the hip resurfacing surgeon?  This is the first I have heard about any connection with trochanteric bursitis and posterior approach surgery.
I had the posterior approach surgery and I haven't any problems with trochanteric bursitis but I haven't pounded my new left hip like you have yet.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

John C

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:27:15 AM »
Hi Steve,
I keep an ongoing google search alert for anything that comes up regarding hip resurfacing, so I get an average of 5 to 7 hits every day that I glance through. I have tried to remember the details of this particular one from a few weeks ago, but sorry to say I cannot come up with any way of getting back to it. What I do remember is that it was written by a surgeon who I recognized from Pat's long list of surgeons who have done over one hundred, so I did take the time to read through it. The article was an effort to educate people on the advantages and disadvantages of the different approaches, without prejudicing one over another since all of them have their pluses and minuses. It did not suggest that the posterior approach was not a good choice, but suggested that trochanteric bursitis was less likely in an anterior approach, for which he listed its own set of problems. My own take away from the article was the old story that people should go with their chosen surgeons approach, since all of them have trade-offs.  I think that it is safe to say that most resurfacing surgeons still prefer the trade-offs in the posterior approach.
Sorry I could not locate the article for you, but its balanced list of trade-offs is certainly not cause for any new concerns.
John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

woodway2

metal ions - revision??
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
Hi K, Bill, Steve
Thanks for your suggestion Steve. I will bring it up at the next appt. Yes this is a total grey area. K, I am so sorry to hear your story and wish you the best. There is still so much to be understood about this procedure.
Nancy

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats