+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thailand  (Read 4151 times)

Lopsided

Thailand
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
Has anyone been resurfaced in Thailand?

I live in Thailand and, although it might be sometime off, I would prefer to have surgery done here.

My doctor is good, but conservative, and does not yet recommend resurfacing, and has also pointed out that degenerative hips are rare in the local population (I am not native).

So I interested in:
1.) references for resurfacing surgeons in Thailand,
2.) experiences of resurfacing done in Thailand,
3.) other residents suffering hip osteoarthritis, either pre or post, interested in mutual support.

Thank you.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Thailand
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  You did not say how old you are or if you are a man or woman.

I am sorry, but I don't know of hip resurfacing surgeons in Thailand.  I do know of Dr. Bose of India who is one of the best in the world.  I know many of his patients and have many stories posted on the website.  He is very use to doing small, Indian women which surgeons in the US are not use to doing.  There seems to be a lot of AVN in India and he specializes in that too.

Many surgeons don't recommend resurfacing because either they don't understand it or are not able to do the surgery.  It is a very diffiuclt surgery and patients should choose the most expeirneced surgeons that they can.

Resurfacing is prefered to a THR since it is bone conserving - you do not need a large portion of your femur bone cut off.  Since you keep your femur bone, resurfacing allows you to have a more natural gait, has almost no chance of dislocation and allows to you to activity you did earlier in your life.  THRs can dislocate and have problems, especially if you don't get the new modern MOM THR or large ball ceramic on ceramic.  The old fashioned small ball plastic/metal THRs can dislocate easily and are restrictive  in activites they allow you to do.

So please, if you are young, take time to learn about resurfacing and even modern THRs.  Try to read some of the info on the visitors guide  http://www.surfacehippy.info/visitorguide.php and view some of the videos of surgeons and also active patients  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videos.php   You can read stories about Dr. Bose patients here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Bose_Hip_Stories_

Information about the more expiernced resurfacing surgeons in India can be found here http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#India  You can just email Dr. Bose and send him your x-rays attached in a digital format as a .jpg and he will give you a free consultation.  THe overseas doctors are really good about that.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
Thank you Pat.

I am 46 and male, degenerative hips and a slightly mashed up spine (is this technical?), but still active though distinctly lopsided and losing movement.

I have already looked well through your website, and got much useful information from it, including that India seems to be a hub for resurfacing.

Still, I would like to keep this thread open, for all things hip-connected, to where I am located.

staggerlee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »
Yo Lopside,

I just got my hip resurfaced 10 days ago at Kasemrad Prachacheun in Bangkok.  The doctor and nurses are great and I stayed in the hospital for 6 days total.  I am having a hard time immediately recovering though because I can't sleep well.  I get restless every night and I have only had one good night's sleep no far. I'm not taking pain killers, only paracetamol and a muscle relaxant. 

Since I'm onlyl 10 days out I cannot report to you any results yet.  But I will let you know how my recovery goes in the near future.

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »
Hi Staggerlee,

I am pleased you have replied to this thread, and have really been wanting to know other people in similar situations over here.

I have got lots of questions for you:
  • What was the name of the surgeon that done you?
  • What type of device did you get?
  • How much did it cost?
  • Is your hip condition related to the altercation with Billy and the stetson?

Ten days ago I was in Bangkok. I wish I had known, I could have gone to see you. Presumably you live there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan

staggerlee

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
Hey Dan,

Yes, my condition is related to Billy and the Stetson.  In my former life,
Delia DeLion shot me in my hip, not in my balls as the story is told by Robert Hunter. 

My surgeon’s name is Dr. Jatupol.  He works part time at Kasemrad Prachachuen Hospital.  He works full time at the Police Hospital in Bangkok.  I used my Thai Social Insurance Card (Thai pragan sangkom card)  so I didn’t have a choice of surgeons. I was given an appointment with the doctor who does the social insurance patients at the hospital that is assigned to me on my card.  I  don’t have a reference to compare him with anyone else, but I can tell you that he is knowledgeable and willing to listen to me and answer my questions.  I trust him, and in my opinion he is a good doctor.  The nurses and staff are great to me. I have no complaints. 

I don’t know the name of the device, I will ask him on Wednesday when I see him again.  He did tell me that it is made of cobalt, nickel, and chromium.  And I think it came from Australia.  The price of the device alone was 149,000 baht, which probably included shipping. 

The total cost of the surgery and hospital stay was about 300,000 baht.  I thought the price was on par with the total hip replacement costs at other hospitals around here.  Maybe in Bangkok, costs are a bit higher.

I live in Bangkok, so I took a taxi to and from the hospital.  Where do you live?  I am guessing Rayong or Chonburi. 

When are you thinking about getting the operation?  For me the operation was necessary because I had end stage osteoarthritis in my left hip.  I was pretty much limping around for the past year

Lopsided

I hope Billy Had Insurance
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
Hi Staggerlee,

Shot in the hip in a former life. That's rough, but at least you know why you developed OA. My orthopaedist told me it was just bad design.

I am sorry, (from your other thread) that you are not sleeping well, but I am impressed that you do not take painkillers. I do not like to take them either, so I hope I fair as well as you when I get my operation.

The prices you mention seem about right. Bumrungrad, Vejtani and Bangkok quoted me about 480,000 including the device. Unfortunately, I do not have insurance. My orthopaedist (again) said I could get done (his words) at Chula, which supposedly would be a lot cheaper, but he only recommends total hip replacement, which I do not want. I would like to know what device you had, the three hospitals I saw just had the Birmingham.

I am lucky I do not need the operation right now, maybe a year or two off. I am also lucky that in general I not not have pain, I am just getting stiffer and stiffer.

Although I am sorry that you have hip OA too, I am actually glad to have come across someone else over here with it, and who has had resurfacing. I hope to be in further contact with you.

Dan

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat