+-

Author Topic: Steve's BHR recovery  (Read 6973 times)

sm26

Steve's BHR recovery
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
Steve's BHR recovery

9/29/09 - Surgery performed by Dr. N at St. Pat's Hospital in Lake Charles.  Nurse helped me move from bed to walker to chair and later back to the walker and back to the bed.  Repeated from bed to walker to chair to walker to bed again later.
9/30/09 - PT had me walk up and down the hall a little with the walker and showed me how to go up and down stairs and then i went up and down the stairs.  Released from the hospital that afternoon.  Moved around the house on the walker.  Taking hydrocodone for pain.  Tylenol for fever.
10/1/09 - taking tylenol for fever.  hydrocodone for pain.  moved around the house on the walker.
10/2/09 - stopped using the walker.  started cutting hydrocodone in half.  walking around the house and 1 time down the driveway without the walker
10/3/09 - not using the walker.  walked from my house to the intersection of Hope & Diane in the morning.  walked from my house to the intersection of Hope & Diane in the afternoon.  no pain after walk.  talking tylenol for fever & chills.  swelling going down.

Will post more info as I continue recovery.

We can rebuild him.  Better than before.  Better, faster, stronger...

sm26

Re: Steve's BHR recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
Steve's BHR recover continued.

10/4/09 - not using walker.  walked from my house to the intersection of Hope & Diane.  later walked Sandy (the dog) all the way around the block.  right ankle visibly swollen.  kept legs elevated most of the evening.
10/5/09 - walked from the house fo the intersection of Hope & Diane.  very little pain.  Home health nurse said i am doing great.  doctor cut back a little on the coumadin (anti-clotting) medicine
10/6/09 - walked from the house of the intersection of Hope & Diane in the morning.  walked from the house of the intersection of Hope & Diane again in the afternoon.  short walk with Gena & Sandy.  went to Mallory's volleyball game.  kept legs elevated to continue to decrease swelling.
10/7/2009 - felt good so i walked around the block this morning.  went to SPAR in the afternoon with my Mom.  walked for 30 minutes around the track.  hip felt a little tight.  when Mom brought me back home, i walked from my house to Precision Prints to check out the sale and then walked back.
10/8/2009 - walked from my house to the intersection of Hope & Diane in the morning.

will post more as the recovery progresses

currently, i plan to return to work on 10/12/2009.

Better, Faster, Stronger.......

sm26

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
more of Steve's BHR recovery:

10/9/2009 - walked around the block twice.  starting to rain and turn cooler in the afternoon.
10/10/2009 - walked the dog in the morning & afternoon.  went to SPAR with Gena & Mallory in the morning.  walked for about 20 minutes, then played some volleyball with Mallory.
10/11/2009 - walked the dog in the morning.  went to church.  walked around the block after lunch.  went wal-mart w/ Gena.
10/12/2009 - back to work.  back home @ lunch for nurse to check wound.  went to wal-mart and then back to work.
10/13/2009 - fairly normal work day.  still have chills & low grade fever starting in the afternoon and ending in the early morning hours.  had relations with the wifey tonight.
10/14/2009 - fairly normal work day.  still have chills & low grade fever starting in the afternoon and ending in the early morning hours.

follow up visit scheduled with Dr. Noble on 10/16/2009.

sm26

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
10/16/2009 - saw the Nurse Practitioner for follow up.  X-rays indicate that the cup is in position.  cap on femoral head looks good.  still restricted from riding my bike or other exercises.  walking is the only PT they want me to do for now.  next follow up visit scheduled for Nov. 12.  went to high school football game
10/17/2009 - cut the grass on riding lawnmower. 

Did normal work activities and stuff around the house for the next several weeks.

10/31/2009 - walked ~8 miles to the gym and back.  feet were a little tired afterwards, but it felt great.

sm26

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »
11/12/2009 - 6 week follow up visit with Dr. Noble & everything is great.  Dr. released me to do any exercise I want.

I've been riding my bike about 8 miles a day and started working out at the gym again.  35 minutes of cardio today and feels good to sweat again.

Lisa M.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on you six week recovery. We must have had our surgery about the same time. Mine was in Seattle on September 22, 2009. I just had my six week check up as well. I have enjoyed your posts. I like your writing style. Keep us updated as you continue to progress. Do you have any type of a limp left? My husband tells me I still limp and so I walked in front of a long mirror and I think it is more a cautious walk than a limp. My resurfaced let seems a bit stiffer than the other one. Must need to exercise more.

-Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

sm26

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I am thankful for my right BHR.  The new hip is doing great.  Any limp is gone as far as I can tell.  No one at work asks me about the hip anymore since my walking is so smooth now.

I've been exercising more each day.  Back up to 60 push ups, 15 dips, 30 situps, some weight machines, and 30 minutes of cardio on at least 5 days of each week.

Thanks for the encouragement Lisa.  Wishing you a continued speedy recovery with your hip.

It's great to be a hippie!!

sm26

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »
Hip still doing great.  Exercised 5 days this week.

Not sure where to post this link to the FDA study on Birmingham Hips:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00611585?cf0A120201=FC5338D7!UFBHTkFcQ0hNSzY2TDpwcGduYToIdTdk7cQ2HiVeV%20DC0dSN

I am one of the ~400 participants.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for sharing the study info.

Sounds like you are doing great with your new hip.  Thanks for posting your information so others can learn.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sm26

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
Still going strong.

Exercising 5 days a week which includes an 8 mile bike ride, 20 minutes of stationary bike, 14 minutes of elliptical machine and then pushups, dips, and other machines for upper body.

Also, for the next 8 Saturdays, I am a referee for Upward basketball.

Lovin' my BHR.

Better, stronger, faster.....

jackmac32

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »
Hi Steve,
Came across your posts...sounds like you are doing great!  You had your surgery a few days before mine, and I am not quite on your level of activities.  Hitting the gym 5 days a week, but now focusing on leg machines and building strenth.  Waiting for this New England winter to end, so I can take some 8 mile bike rides as well.  I am sure you are looking forward to the magical 6 month mark...I figure St Patty's day is close enough.   Hope all continues to go well!
Jackmac
LBHR Dr. Su
10/01/2009

roosevelt heights

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
Steve I am on BHR 2/8 in Seattle, I get my other hip done 4/5...I referee HS and JUCO hoops...hips caused me to be on the injured list for this season...I am encouraged by your rehab, I wanna be back on the floor by Nov 2010...

The Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
Hi Steve...Really enjoying reading your older posts and all the replies.  I just had my L hip resurfaced with BHR on 2/22/2010 and so far it is going very well.  I love your active lifestyle and I hope to get back to that level myself.  Keep up the great work.  Thanks...Tom
LH BHR, 2/22/2010, Dr. Rogerson, Madison, WI Meriter Hosptial

sm26

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement.

Well over a year now and I am very active with little or no discomfort at all.

I continue to exercise vigorously 5 days a week.  Riding my bike 4 miles to the gym, 20 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes of stationary bike, and about 45 minutes of various weight machines and body weight exercises.

Looking forward to being a referee during another season of Upward Basketball starting in January.

Keep Rocking, hippy friends.......

sm26

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Right BHR installed on September 29, 2009.

Now, over 2 years with my BHR and doing fantastic.

The BHR hip feels more natural all the time.

I've increased my exercise intensity.  The only thing I miss is running and I've just avoided running to make the BHR last as long as possible.

Looking forward to another season of Upward basketball referee activity starting Saturday 1/7/2012.

Better, stronger, faster..

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Hi Steve,
             sounds like your really doing great after your BHR op! I hope that you continue to have an awesome result! Im now 7weeks and 6 days post op and now making great progress. I cant wait for my 12 month restrictions to be lifted and so i can start to enjoy my martial arts again.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
That's excellent, Steve! I'm a year behind and feel encouraged every time someone checks in. Happy you're doing well -- so what do you do instead of running? (I can guess swimming, unless you have a vintage motorcycle and are using goggles..  ;D ).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
Love to see longer term success stories!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Thanks for posting, really appreciate hearing the long term status.  Very, very encouraging.

Thanks Steve
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats