+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 1721 times)

Caroline109

• My So Called Orthopedic Life
Newbie here
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
Hi all. I am new to the site, new to even starting to think about possible hip resurfacing. Here's a quick run down of me. In 2003, I had 2 meniscus tears (1 in each knee) and had 2 arthrscopic surgeries (one for each knee) for that. In August, 2007, I tripped on a vacuum cleaner cord while vacuuming (a good reason NOT to vacuum, lol) and ended up again with meniscus tears in both knees. I had surgeries again Oct. 2007 and February 2008 to clean those up. Bone on bone arthritis developed in my right knee and some arthritis in my left knee. By the spring of 2008, my right knee was causing a lot of pain and I ended up having a partial knee replacement in September of 2008. I had PT and feel much much better as far as that knee goes. I had over the years as well a few twinges of hip pain but nothing too bad. There is a strong arthritis history in my family and my mother should've but never did have a hip replacement. In June 2009, we were in Boston, when I somehow twisted myself to prevent myself from falling as we were walking. Bad left hip pain after that. I finally went back to the orthopedic office I go to and had an MRI that showed arthritis in both hips, mild in right, mild to moderate in the left (the one giving me more pain). I had 4 weeks of PT to help build some flexibilty and strength in the hip. The ortho., who is in the group I used but had never seen before (but was sent to see because my usual guys weren't available), first mentioned hip resurfacing. He also said I might try a hip cortisone shot so I did that in July. It lasted about 2 weeks. I already see a rheumatologist and his PA and I was there last week because my non-replaced knee has started aching more. I got a cortisone shot and arranged to start a course of Supartz at the end of the month. The PA told me that the hip MRI report (which I had never seen so I didn't know all the details of the report) said that 50% of the cartilage is gone in my left hip and there is a defect in the remaining cartilage.
The hip has been bothering me more and so I am now starting to consider the whole process, maybe by the end of next year, unless I end up deciding I need it sooner than that. I was surprised and happy to find this site and hope to learn stuff here! I go to a similar site for knees which has been a great thing. I'm hoping this will be the same.
Sorry if this was very long but thanks for reading it!
Cortisone shot in my left hip, July 2009
Already have a partial knee replacement (Sept. 2008)
I also have ITP, a blood disorder that can make me bruise more easily than most people, though I have a fairly mild case of it.

medgerton

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
A few thoughts from my experiences.  I had a cortisone shot in the hip. It really did not do anything. However, soon after the shot my hip got progressively worse quickly. I am not an expert by any means, but I am not a fan of cortisone shots in joints.

I had my right knee scoped for meniscus tears 15 months ago and left hip resurfaced 25 days ago. Looking at the two operations one would say the knee was a simpler operation. It was outpatient while the hip was "major" surgery. In the hospital two days with a good sized incision.

However, from a recovery standpoint my hip recovery has been quicker with less pain. From the time I woke up from my hip surgery I had no joint pain. My resurfaced hip feels completely natural. I was walking with no crutches after 6 days. I took no pain medication after leaving the hospital. So far the hip has been an excellent recovery.

My "simpler" knee surgery took months to feel fairly normal. It really took over a year to feel good again.

If you have bone on bone in your hip I strongly recommend looking at hip resurfacing and visiting a doctor who is experienced.

Tommy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
 " However, from a recovery standpoint my hip recovery has been quicker with less pain." How True.
  I had torn meniscus scoped in november 08 and hip resurace in june 09 and the knee still have a lot of pain from the knee and the hip is great. Maybe I should have use my hip Dr. for my knee. medgerton post hit it right on in my case!
         Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

Caroline109

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I have to agree that when you replace the arthritic joint with a prosthesis, there is just about immediate pain relief. That's what I found with my knee replacement. The arthritic pain was gone immediately but I had months of muscle issues, dealt with with weeks of PT,  but it still lasted for quite a while. I work very part time at a national department store chain and my replaced knee hasn't been a problem since I went back to work last DEcember. HOwever, now, my hip hurts every time I bend over to get something (which is often). I've had 5 meniscus tears and hope not to have another one any time soon.

I've always had good luck with cortisone shots in the knee (although by the time I was ready for my PKR, they would last about 5 days) and in my shoulders where I also have arthritis. Since the hip cortisone shot I had lasted such a short period of time, I'm not planning to do it again. The cost isn't worth the short period of time the pain relief lasted.

The ortho group I go to here (60 miles northeast of NYC) has a number of orthopedist. WHen my knee got to the point of needing the replacement, my ortho referred me to the partner in the group who specializes in replacements of all kinds. I see him again in January for a follow up on my replaced knee (a 1year+ follow up on my replaced knee) and I'm going to discuss things with him at that time.
I also have ITP, a blood disorder that can make me bruise more easily than most people, though I have a fairly mild case of it.

stevel

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
You are lucky!  You are only 60 miles away from Dr. Su in Manhattan, who does knees and hips, and is one of the best, most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons on the East Coast.
Send him your hip x-rays and MRI and he will examine them and advise if you are a hip resurfacing candidate, for free.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:45:43 AM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Caroline109

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
Is Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery? My brother has mentioned going there in case I ever think that I need more specialized care than what I can get locally. Our local hospital is a teaching hospital for Yale and for at least one other medical school in NYC so I've gotten good care there at least when I had my knee done and I like the doctors in my ortho group so I haven't felt the need to do consult at the Hospital for SPecial Surgery. I have the disk with my hip MRI scan (but not the xray) on it but have no idea how to contact him. If someone can provide me with that information, I'd appreciate it. Whether or not I actually send it to him remains to be seen, but in case I do, I'd like to have it.

I need to go out to do an errand now for my husband who works at home and when I get back, I'm going to be checking out more of the site (ignoring the fact that I need to go do a second coat of paint on the trim in the dining room).

stevel

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
Yes, Dr. Su works at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).  Contact information is at his website www.hipresurfacingnewyork.com.  The website for HSS is www.hss.edu.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:00:10 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat