+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Golf advice please ??  (Read 4749 times)

Double Hipster

Golf advice please ??
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
Hi everybody,

I had a BHR on my right hip 7 years ago, and found it relatively easy to get back into my golf after 4 months or so.

Without wishing to get over technical, as a right hander, the right hip 'has it easy' on the golf swing as it is not required to pivot as much as the left or bear as much weight.

I have now had my left hip resurfaced, 12 days ago, and although I am walking around 2K a day I am far from ready to swing a club, ( far too confusing when your on crutches !!). I have put thought to my swing though and realize that the left hip is the pivot that my body weight needs to get through to play an effective shot.

I was hoping that there may be some experienced golfers out there that have been through this and could suggest a time span, relevant exercises, do's and not-to-do's etc of returning to the sport I love sooner rather than later.

Thanks, and to non golfers, sorry to bore you ....as my wife say ' Golf is a good walk spoiled '    :D

Cheers Murray

One careful owner
Right hip a BHR by Mark Bloomfield September 2003
Left hip a Mitch by Dean Michael October 2009
The rest still in original, if tarnished condition !!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Golf advice please ??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Hi Murry

Not much of a golfer, but know a lot about resurfacing.  Most important is to listen to your surgeon and ask when you can start to play again.  It is not really up to you or any other golfer, it is up to the doctor.  When you are given the OK, it is always better to listen to your body.  If it hurts while you are swinging or after playing a bit - then you are doing too much too soon.  YOu have to listen to your own doctor - then your own body.  Your body will heal in it's own timeline and you can't push it.  Since you are already a golfer, returning to golfing should be be much easier for you. 

Don't push it and be patient.  Next summer will be great for you.  Listen to your body and your common sense after listening to your doctor.  Being cautious and patient will really pay off in the future.  Once you push too hard or too soon,  you could have muscle damage or even hip damage. It will make your recovery much longer.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Double Hipster

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
Pat, thanks for the sound advice, I can't afford to waste this opportunity and screw my hip up, I will heed your advice, thanks for taking the time, regards Murray
One careful owner

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »
Murray,

I am a double hipster (LBHR 12/07, TBHR 4/08, Dr. Engh) as well as an avid golfer.  I didn't try to play between the first and second operations as it was winter and the right hip was shot.  However, as I recall, I started swinging easy in late June last year and by the end of July or early August I was swinging full and out on the course playing 18 again.  Early this year I played 36 holes in one day for the first time since the surgery; I was tired and had a few sore muscles the next day, but no hip pain whatsoever.

From my experience, besides what Pat said about going at your own pace and listening to your doctor, I would say that total dedication to the stretching and strength regimen provided by your physical therapist should be sufficient for you to get back to your normal swing and game.  Knowing that I am a golfer, my therapist even had me making small swings while standing on one leg on a Bosu platform to improve balance and strength.

Best wishes to you.  You'll be a very happy camper next year.

Jim

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »
I know what you mean about golfing and the left leg being the important leg, I had my right one done Aug 2008 and was back on the course (in a cart) 8 weeks later playing better than I have in years, that said I have a friend of mine that had his left hip done in June, he waited 12 weeks and he played very well.

I will say my friend put more time into re-hab than I did but of course I had the better leg done that does not affect your swing. 

Walking is great re-hab along with whatever exercises your doc gives you is my best advice.

Good luck, and remember what Gerald Ford said I'll know I'm getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators."

Chuck

Hi everybody,

I had a BHR on my right hip 7 years ago, and found it relatively easy to get back into my golf after 4 months or so.

Without wishing to get over technical, as a right hander, the right hip 'has it easy' on the golf swing as it is not required to pivot as much as the left or bear as much weight.

I have now had my left hip resurfaced, 12 days ago, and although I am walking around 2K a day I am far from ready to swing a club, ( far too confusing when your on crutches !!). I have put thought to my swing though and realize that the left hip is the pivot that my body weight needs to get through to play an effective shot.

I was hoping that there may be some experienced golfers out there that have been through this and could suggest a time span, relevant exercises, do's and not-to-do's etc of returning to the sport I love sooner rather than later.

Thanks, and to non golfers, sorry to bore you ....as my wife say ' Golf is a good walk spoiled '    :D

Cheers Murray

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Double Hipster

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
Jim and Chuck,

Thanks for your replies,

Jim,

18 holes would be a dream, 36 is incredible !! keep it up !!!

I will target Spring 2010 and work my physio around that date taking my doctor's advice.

I Should be up and running for the summer, now if I could just stop dreaming about it until then I'd be happier !!

I will certainly take the advice on warming up and stretching ...

Happy golfing guys ....

Murray 8)
One careful owner

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
Murray,

If your operation goes well I do not see why you won't be doing some Winter golfing, say February?  That's over 16 weeks.

I don't know where you live but if you have an area where the weather is nice in the Winter like Florida I bet you are swinging clubs in February.

Chuck

Jim and Chuck,

Thanks for your replies,

Jim,

18 holes would be a dream, 36 is incredible !! keep it up !!!

I will target Spring 2010 and work my physio around that date taking my doctor's advice.

I Should be up and running for the summer, now if I could just stop dreaming about it until then I'd be happier !!

I will certainly take the advice on warming up and stretching ...

Happy golfing guys ....

Murray 8)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »
I'm just over 5 weeks post op now.

I think I could probably get round my course, but it is quite hilly. I am worried about slipping and dislocating, so I may leave it until next year now.

I'll have to go to the range to get my perfect swing going again!!!
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

brownie

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced March 5. 2009 by Dr. Frank Smith in Hamilton, Ontario. At my six week appointment he told me to start chipping and each week, if there was no problems the next week hit short irons, the following week hit long irons etc to where I felt comfortable that nothing was going to happen. I am now back walking a golf course for the first time in about six years. No pain, or problems. Listen to your doctor, and listen to your body

Double Hipster

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
Guys, thanks for your messages, the chipping idea is a good one, sadly I never practice that enough when I'm fit ..so I'll give that a go. I see my surgeon next week and I'll chat to him. I will be 3 weeks post op by then. I have been doing some walks over hillyish ground at Virginia Waters, Surrey UK near where I live, about a mile at a time, so getting stronger. Though my legs still look like sticks of spaghetti .... where do those muscles go, and when will they come back !!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your posts, very helpful

Regards Murray
One careful owner

Giant Rugby Monkey

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
Hello,

I had a BHR on my left hip in mid september. My main sporting goal is to get back on the golf course and the advice I've been given is that with regular strenghtening and stretching exercise I should be ok for the new season in Feb 2010 ( I'm a brit from Newcastle, England). My Consultant advised me to get out on the range as soon as possible which in my case was after about 6 weeks and start with low irons and progress to half swings with woods when comfortable. At first my follow through was non existent but not as my flexibility gets better I see a marked improvement every visit to the range. For strengthening and stretching in one exercise I find that dropping the saddle on my exercise bike to the lowest setting then leaning into the handle bars to increase the hip angle works a treat.

Good luck to all BHRs out there and keep swinging.

Howard

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
Monkey that's Discrimination mate.

I had an ASR!!
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

tedroberts

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
I had bilateral hip resurfacing Jan. 7, 2009 (BHR, Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN).  At my 6 week follow up Dr.  Nelson
said I could golf "when the courses open"  which was about mid-April this year.  I swung a club a few times in my
yard and then hit a small bucket of balls all with out pain.  For the first month I rode a cart, then I started pushing
my clubs and half way through the year started carrying my clubs again.  I had no pain in my hips and my golf game
was fine. 

I've started dry land training for ski racing and see how far I have to go to full strength and mobility.  I think golf is
the easiest sport to get back into after hip resurfacing.  When I asked Dr. Nelson about bicycling or in-line skating
at six weeks he asked "which one am I least likely to fall on".  There is very little high speed falling risk in golf.

Ted Roberts

Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats