+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 weeks post op doing pretty good most days  (Read 2085 times)

jj76751

7 weeks post op doing pretty good most days
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
I had hoped to be doing better than I am.  I do great until about 2p.m. and then I get sore but not in the hip more in the thigh and knee area.  We had some friends come see us about 2 weeks ago and we ended up out in the parking lot standing and talking for about 2 1/2 hours.  After that it took me about a week until I was doing okay again which was disappointing.  Anyone have pain in the late afternoon but feel pretty good in the morn?  I hope things start turning back around.  I felt better at 3 weeks than I do right now but I'm not giving up.  Can't do anymore PT because my insurance won't pay for anymore (just had 3 sessions)

Judy

Vt waddler

Re: 7 weeks post op doing pretty good most days
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:11 AM »
Hello Judy,

As others will chime in, let me echo what many have said, --give it time. I myself have been a "turtle" in the recovery phase from bilat surgery, still experience some pain at 12 weeks out. But getting better daily and xrays show excellent impalnt placement and bone regrowth already. Do not judge yourself by comparing your surgery to many of the "rabbit" recovery reports you might read here, as Pat and others will tell you, "we all heal at our own pace". Many will say, walk,walk,walk...but I will add, pt exercise,pt exercise etc., while walking is great, for myself, I've had to focus on working the external rotators/abductors (strengthening/stretching) to get pain relief and was also put on meloxican at week 9-10 for inflammation. I had pain high up on the butt and muscle knotting(reffered, I believe) and a bit of nerve twinge, my self diagnosis was problems with my pirifromis tendon and related muscles, which was cut and reattached during surgery.. The outside of my thighs were killing me, any type of bucket like seat (car seat, truck seat, office chair) would put pressure on the painful-inflammed area, not to mention the feeling of sitting on 2 beer cans all the time, as a result of having no butt muscles left!! So all I can suggest is, maybe have your doc put you on an anti inflamatory (meloxican/celebrex) for a few months and see if that helps the inflammed thigh muscles. And work your PT, side stepping is a biggy for me, doing sliding squats with your back against a slick surface to build back some glute strength, and easy stretching ( even if is only crossing your ankles while lying in bed)....caveat,--all with your docs approval, my opinion is formulated from carpentry experience! (LOL!)

VT waddling less

Vt waddler

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
PS: keep in mind the outside thigh (and related muscle/tendons) area takes a beating during surgery. The iliotibial band which runs from high on the hip down the thigh to the knee has been incised in line for access to the hip. You can goggle for it band stretching
here is one......  http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband_str.html

But again, talk to your doctor before you do anything

Vt waddler

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 05:42:59 AM »
PSS: and one last link I will toss out to you regarding stretching etc....but I can't stress enough, getting your docs input first before forging ahead on your own...I've cherry picked a few of these stretches and exercises---the easier ones(g) for myself...you definity don't want to push past your limit...best of luck and take it slow and steady-rehab isn't a straight line up thing--good days/bad days

http://www.elitesportperformance.com/seminar/Hip%20and%20Pelvis%20Rehabilitation.pdf

ladler

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »
Hey Judy- I am 8 weeks post op and like you- insurance only covered 3 PT sessions... I was flexible like pretzel a year ago-- a life long yoga lover--- and I was a bit shocked to find I was on the very stiff end of the scale following my resurfacing...I figured with my former flexibility and excellent ROM I would be up and fully running in no time...no dice, I guess it is just luck of the draw!

I do a lot of walking, a lot of walking, and every day I see a bit of progress--- some days more than others.  I also have days where I feel angry and discouraged and just want to crawl into bed and sleep---I have to really push myself to do my PT exercises and I know I am not doing them enough... I am someone who could use the pressure of PT 2 x a week, but it is not a reality.

I have set up a course on my walking route- places where I stop to do my PT exercises- steps and such- that I can use for all but those exercises where I have to get on the floor- tho I have gotten down on the ground a few times on warmer days and done those too--

I find that mixing it up- making the PT part of my walk- MUSIC- that iPod I had and never used- it really does add energy and inspiration- a great song can induce me to walk an extra quarter mile...

I know it is hard- but it is ultimately up to us, and so I encourage you to find ways to make the PT, dare I say--- fun???

I also have this crazy broken clavicle- I broke it 6 months ago (was trying to ride my bike pre surgery to get in better shape and flew over the handlebars) - got surgery to have it pinned- and it remains a non union- that I am having plated in a few weeks- it adds to the frustration of taking care of my hip rehab...I know there are all kinds of challenges- but we came this far- we did the surgery- and so, now we must continue to find the strength within ourselves to go the distance... I know it isn't easy- which is why it is so great Pat created this site and we can find kindred souls who are facing similar circumstances.

I wish you well, I assure you that you are not alone, and I know we can do this!

Best of Luck.  Lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal