+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Four days post op today  (Read 1974 times)

pamela1130

Four days post op today
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
Hi just wanted to introduce myself.  I am four days post op today.  I had my surgery at Newton Wellsley hospital in Massachusetts by Dr. Alfred Hanmer.  Everything went very well.  He told me at the morning of the operation that my hips were very small (then why do I have a fat ass?) and that there was a one percent change once he got inside that I would need a total hip replacement, but that was not the case, thank God.  He told my husband after that the operation was a "slam dunk".  The first two days were a night mare because I couldn't keep down any thing so that included the pain medication but now with anti nausea medication I am feeling better in that regard.  Also the doctor had put a catherter into my hip and they injected pain numbing medication the first 24 hours.  Anyone else have that done.  It was quite nice.   What type of pain killers did everyone take.  I don't know if I should keep on a schedule or wait until I am in pain.  Which is most of the time, though I did sleep through the night.  When does the pain start to go away?  I only have 60 pills.  I am lucky regarding work because I work in a family busiess and this is the slower season for us.   I am reading all the posts because I didn't realize the recovery period would take so long so it is very helpful so that I don't get frustrated with my self.  Well just wanted to say hi to everyone here.  Pam M

ladler

Re: Four days post op today
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
Pamela- congrats on being post op~ those first two weeks post are tough, at least they were for me,  but you sound ready to take it on.  I am 2 months post op, and while recovery has not gone as easily as I hoped and expected (expectations will get you every time) I have never looked back with regret.  I am still working on ROM and still have a slight limp and some muscle/incision pain- but the joint pain is thankfully gone!

I took hydrocodone- 10 mg- as needed- and since I had just lived thru a year of pain, I decided to stay pain free post op- as much as possible.  More than the pain meds tho- I found ice- lots and lots of ice- those first two weeks made me more comfortable.  I think pain and the response to it is different for everyone- so listen to what your body tells you- right now, sleep is your friend, so if the pain is keeping you awake, I say nab it.  Good luck, congrats again, and keep us updated on your progress!  Best, Lyn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Four days post op today
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
Hi Pam

Glad to hear you are home and starting to do better.  Pain is different for everyone.  Some take almost no meds after leaving the hospital while others take quite a bit for a month or more.  It is just an individual thing.

You just need to listen to your own body.  If you need pain control - by all means use it.  If you don't, then just don't use it.  If you are having pain, it is best to keep up with it on a schedule.  If you let it get ahead of you, it is more diffiuclt to get it under control again.

You will start to feel better soon.  Just take it easy now. Best to do less in the begining and let your body heal. 

Keep in touch.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM