+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg swelled and black and blued, I was so scared!!!  (Read 4723 times)

pamela1130

Leg swelled and black and blued, I was so scared!!!
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
I am six days post op.  Tonight while sitting at the computer my leg at the knee and calf started swelling.  My Husband drove me directly to the hospital.  There were no blood clot symptoms of hurt, or heat, just tingling from the swelling.  As I was waiting to be examined by shin area and behind my calf started turning black and blue.  There was no one at the hospital to do an ultra sound.  So the doctor said I didn't have the symptoms of a blood clot but as a precaution they gave me a shot of lovenex which the doctor said they would do if I had a blood clot.  I am to have an ultrasound in the morning and if it is not a blood clot, no harm done, but if it is, I have already begun the treatment.  I wish I had read the posts here about the swelling because I way over reacted and was crying.  I know others haveexperienced the sweeling, but what about the black and bluing.  thanks for listening, Pam

John C

Re: Leg swelled and black and blued, I was so scared!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »
This is certainly not a medical opinion, but just my perspective and experience with "black and blueing"; based on my resurfacing experience, and 50+ years of sports injuries. When you have an injury or surgery, there is bound to be some internal bleeding from whatever was cut or injured. This fluid accumulation leads to swelling. As the blood that causes the swelling sits for awhile, it gradually turns black, blue, yellow, etc, until it is gradually absorbed back into the body and transported away. So basically injury=swelling=pretty colors. The solutions are to not let the blood pool in an area, though elevation, icing, and movement; all of which help to avoid the pooling=swelling=pretty colors. Sitting at the computer with your legs not elevated gives gravity a great chance to pool the fluids in your lower leg, so maybe avoid that for a few more days if you can.
If it makes you feel any better, many of us went through our little "freak out moments" at about your point in time. For some of us, it is just part of the territory.
Best of luck on the rest of your recovery.
John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:23 AM »
I am six days post op.  Tonight while sitting at the computer my leg at the knee and calf started swelling. 

Of course listen to your doctor, but I bet they find no blood clot..... swelling is a VERY common issue following hip surgery, lots of icing and elevating above your heart will bring that swelling down.

Don't be surprised that you make more trips to the bathroom in the next few days, that fluid has to go somewhere.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:35 AM »
Hi Pam

As you heard, swelling and bruising is sometimes experienced.  I, however, think you did the right thing when you thought you could have had a blood clot.  Go to the ER.  Don't think you made a mistake.  There have been several people that did have blood clots and one almost died.  If you are not sure - it is always worth a call to your surgeon or a trip to the ER if you are really worried. Your life is at stake and it is always smart to check things out that don't seem right.  No one has major surgery very often and it is always good to be careful and ask questions.

Take it easy and hopefully, there are no problems.  Keep in touch.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pamela1130

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:49:36 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  If it wasn't for you people here, I think I would of had  a breakdown.  I can honestly say I did not know about the elevation, icing, swelling, etc.,   I thought the icing was just for my incision.  I was not elevating my leg at all.  Also the VNA came in yesterday and no one said anything about elevation.  I guess what happened is that everyone in the medical field took common sense for granted and forgot to tell the patient the first rule, elevate you leg.  The figured I would already know this, but I did not.  I only found out about it here.  Thank you so much again.  Pam

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  If it wasn't for you people here, I think I would of had  a breakdown.  I can honestly say I did not know about the elevation, icing, swelling, etc.,   I thought the icing was just for my incision.  I was not elevating my leg at all.  Also the VNA came in yesterday and no one said anything about elevation.  I guess what happened is that everyone in the medical field took common sense for granted and forgot to tell the patient the first rule, elevate you leg.  The figured I would already know this, but I did not.  I only found out about it here.  Thank you so much again.  Pam

Pam,

What did the test show?

I assume it came back negative?

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

moe

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Pamela, as others have said elevate and use ice. Also flex your feet back and forth, this will help circulation and flush fluid out. Good luck,moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Hi Pam

As you heard, swelling and bruising is sometimes experienced.  I, however, think you did the right thing when you thought you could have had a blood clot. 

Good advice, do what YOU think YOU need to do.

I agree Pam was smart to be proactive, especially something that you might think is a blood clot.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

pamela1130

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
Yes, thank you everyone.  The ultra sound came back negative.  I was so relieved.  Thanks, I am elevateing and icing. lol.  Pam

John C

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi Pam,
Glad to hear things are going well. Here is one more thought to add to your elevation and icing program. Many doctors also recommend doing lots and lots of "ankle pumps" (flexing your ankle up and down). This contracts the calf muscles, which are sometimes called the second heart. Contracting these muscles is what pumps the blood back up from the legs towards the heart, and is a great habit to form whenever sitting around during rehab.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:18 AM »
Actually foot pumps is something we all should do when we sit for long periods of time, like a long flight on an airplane.  Many times blood clots happen when people are put in a confined place where they cannot move their legs.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

pamela1130

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
Yes, I have been doing the foot pumps religiously now that you said so.  It's my easiest expercise!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear