+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resufacing versus THR  (Read 2219 times)

lyndac40

Hip resufacing versus THR
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Hi

I am 43 years old my surgeon want to do THR on my right hip. I spoke to him last week about Hip resurfacing. I am 5 feet tall a size 3 in a shoe so therefore he said my pelvis is to small. He told this was not an option. I have looked on the internet and can't find any information about this. Is there is anyone on here who would be willing to give me some advice. I live in Scotland as I don't have private medical insurance I have no choice but to go through the NHS.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Tekka

Re: Hip resufacing versus THR
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
Hello,

Being small in frame does not preclude you from re-surfacing, I would however advise you to seek the best surgeon.

You may have a bit of a fight on your hands to get it on the NHS, but I'm not sure of the protocol involved, at one point I thought I was not able to use my private insurance, so I made the arrangements to get a loan. I had made my decision to get a re-surfacing and the only person telling me otherwise was Mr McMinn.

I was told by another re-surfacing surgeon that he thought a MOM THR was the best option and I was starting to think this was my only option, but after reading loads of stuff on here I came across Mr McMinn and he was able to do the re-surfacing.

If I remember correctly the cost of the operation by the McMinn team is £14k, I know that is a lot of money but I honestly think it is worth every penny.

If you want more details, mail me direct and I would be happy to give any advice I can.

Best wishes

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  There are statistics that show small men and women don't do as well with hip resurfacing.  But even the worst statistic for women is a 4% revision rate.  You can see some of the recent statistics on the Australian National Registry Info  http://www.surfacehippy.info/aoanationalreg09.php  With that being said, it doesn't mean that you are not a good candidate.  An experineced hip resurfacing surgeon will look at each patient individually and determine if you are a good candidate.  If your surgeon is not a really experienced hip resurfacing surgeon, you would probably not want them to even try a resurfacing on you anyways.  I would suggest writing to Dr. De Smet of Belgium and send him a copy of your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg    He will give you  a free consultation and tell you if you really are a good candidate or not.  If he says no, then you mind would be more at ease to know a MOM THR would be OK.  If not, you would have to find the money to go to someone like De Smet or any of the top surgeons in the UK which is very close to you.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#UK  Dr. De Smet is one of the best in the world and I think the surgery use to be around $13,000.  Not sure what it is now.

I would first find out what his thoughts are, then if you are a candidate - figure out how to get a resurfacing.  You can't force a surgeon to give you one and you don't want to use someone that doesn't really believe in it.  The last thing you want is a resurfacing not done right.  

Here is his info

Dr. Koen De Smet
3200 Hip Resurfacings to date ***
ANCA Clinic
AMC-Gent
Krijgslaan 181
9000 Ghent
BELGIUM
Phone: +(1)32 9 2525903
Fax: +(1)32 9 2526457
+1 for USA & Canada:
E-mail: helpdesk@heup.be
ANCA Clinic Website

Hope that's a start for you.  You are very young to be considering a THR. If you had the money, a trip to India to have a resurfacing with Dr. Bose would also work well.  He is use to doing a lot of smaller people since he does a lot of small Indian women.  You can go to India including travel and medical expenses for around $10,000

Good Luck and stay in touch.  

Pat
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:19:55 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
Hi

I am 43 years old my surgeon want to do THR on my right hip. I spoke to him last week about Hip resurfacing. I am 5 feet tall a size 3 in a shoe so therefore he said my pelvis is to small. He told this was not an option. I have looked on the internet and can't find any information about this. Is there is anyone on here who would be willing to give me some advice. I live in Scotland as I don't have private medical insurance I have no choice but to go through the NHS.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Hi Lynda

I'm sure that you are in the UK, but I don't know where though.

My surgeon Mr McLauchlan is widely recognised as the top orthopaedic surgeon in the North West, not only for THR but also for resurfacings. Iwas rather lucky in that I had private medical cover through my firm, but an initial consultaion cost £160, and the same thereafter. I'm not making any recommendation of course, but it might be worth asking him, or doing some internet research. If you want to make an appointment PM me and I will give you his details.

Good Luck.

Gav
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:09 PM »
Hi Lynda. If I was you, since you are in the UK I would go and see Mr McMinn, in Birmingham. I am from the UK but live here in the US. If I was still in the UK i would definitely be seeing McMinn.
Good luck
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

larry2458

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »
lynda
as barbara says mr mcminn is probably the best in the uk.so,if you have the option,ie private ,he's the man to see.
                                                larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

bothdone

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:42:43 AM »
Hi Lynda

I think there is now some option which allows you to pick your NHS hospital and therefore, I presume, your NHS surgeon.   Whether this allows you to make use of facilities and surgeons outside your NHS area and in England I don't know but it would be worth asking about.     You could try ringing or emailing NHS Direct for advice or I think there's another organisation called Patient Liaison (or something similar) who help. 

You'd then need to get a referral to see the surgeon.  You might have to pay to get a private consultation and pay travel costs but it would give you advice and maybe options.

Hope it goes well.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM