+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting your stamina back  (Read 2592 times)

Lisa M.

Getting your stamina back
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
Hi there,

I had my left hip resurfaced on 9/22/09 in Seattle by Dr. Pritchett. The surgery went great and I felt like I was really progressing well until the past few days. I am at 5 weeks post op and yesterday I thought I would do a little shopping. I was exhausted when I got home and all day today too. I am just anxious to get back to normal and I feel like I am stuck. Cleaning my house is exhausting. It could be that my hip was bothering me so badly the year  prior to surgery that I am just out of shape. Did it take anyone else time to feel like they had their old level of energy back? Thanks so much -Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

medgerton

Re: Getting your stamina back
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:46:30 AM »
I think you are correct in your assumption that having a bone on bone hip limited your physical activity before your surgery. The surgery itself and trauma to the body takes time to heal. This takes energy.

So, I think your recovery is normal. Your energy level will return. Give it time. Just keep pushing ahead and listen to your body. If it gets tired rest.

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »
Hi there,

I had my left hip resurfaced on 9/22/09 in Seattle by Dr. Pritchett. The surgery went great and I felt like I was really progressing well until the past few days. I am at 5 weeks post op and yesterday I thought I would do a little shopping. I was exhausted when I got home and all day today too. I am just anxious to get back to normal and I feel like I am stuck. Cleaning my house is exhausting. It could be that my hip was bothering me so badly the year  prior to surgery that I am just out of shape. Did it take anyone else time to feel like they had their old level of energy back? Thanks so much -Lisa

Lisa,

Ask your doc if you're allowed to do a stationary bike, start off small (1 mile) and build on that.... that will help strengthen your legs and build your cardio a lot.  When you were more sedentary you became out of shape as medgerton suggested.

Other than that, rest, relax being tired is quite normal.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:58:46 AM »
Hi

Getting your energy level back takes time.  You just had major surgery.  For most people that slows them way down plus you were probably out of shape for a period before your surgery.  It took me about 6 months to get back to being somewhat normal - but I was 61 at the time.  Many people take several months to 6 months to get back their stamina and energy level.  Some take even more.  Again, we are all different.  It depends on your body, your previous condition and how you are now starting to recondition your body.   Patience is the key and listeneing to your body.  If  you are tired, take a nap or rest.  You can't will your body to heal, it does take some time.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lisa M.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
Thanks everyone, you guys are great. I do not have a sationary bike, but I am doing deep water running and pool exercises. I am also going to Physical Therapy. I think that I just felt like my old self for the first time in over a year and I wanted to get out there and do the things that I have been missing. It just took me by surprise that I might have to build back up to it. I will try not to feel old and keep at it. Thanks for your posts.  Lisa M.
-Lisa M.

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »
Lisa,

The pool is one of the best things you can do for your rehab, just watch what kind of strokes you do.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
If you focus on the posterior chain, you'll avoid any problems with bursitis.

best,

spencer

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
Hi Lisa, I'm also a Dr Pritchett patient. Do you live in Seattle or are you in the burbs??? I'm on the Eastside. Maybe we could meet for coffee!!!
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Lisa M.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »
Hi Barbara,

I live in Bellingham, so I am ,as you probably know an hour and a half away. I would love to meet for coffee sometime. I have my six week check up on Nov 13th with Dr. Pritchett, perhaps we could meet on my way home. You can e-mail me at home at manos1@comcast.net.
Lisa
-Lisa M.

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
Brilliant Lisa, I've emailed you
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Lisa M.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »
Once again you all were right. I am feeling much better now at 7 weeks post op. I think the hardest part for me was not the immediate recovery because all I could do was heal. The hard part started when I was well enough to want to do more. I would feel so good and rush out and over do the exercise and then feel depressed and exhausted and in pain for several days, then I would feel  a bit better and stupidly go out and do it again.  It was a one step forward and two steps back kind of  recovery.
I am now able to walk my dog for an hour or more every day with no pain.  I continue to do my pool exercises and go to physical therapy. My limp is almost gone and my stamina is coming back. I am feeling better every single day.The only time I experience pain is getting in and out of my stupid car.  Recovery is not for the impatient. Now I realize that exercise is about consistancy it is not a race to do more and more. If you are tired rest, if you exercise and it hurts don't increase the next time just consistantly move forward. I am so excited to be feeling so much better than my former myself. This Friday is my six week check up that is really seven weeks. I hope the report is good and I wish the same good feelings for all of you.

Lisa
-Lisa M.

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
Lisa,

Some of the stamina that you're noticing is that your body is using less resources in healing, while it's still healing it's nothing as much as it was the first 4 weeks.

Many patients complain about being tired and not having stamina early on, I was beat my first 6 weeks, after that I got my energy back in a big way.  At around 7 or 8 weeks I golfed 18 holes, many of the holes I walked on my own and I felt great, my intention was to only play 9 holes and walk very little.

I am very glad to hear that you're doing so well, keep up the great rehab.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat