+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: String sticking out of my incision  (Read 34189 times)

Lisa M.

String sticking out of my incision
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
Hi,

I have a somewhat unusual problem. My surgery was five weeks ago today and I have a white thread sticking out of the top of my incision. It is very short and I have noticed it for a few weeks now. I do not see my Dr. again until Nov. 13th. My stitches were the disolving kind so I can not imagine what this thing is. I am tempted to shave it off but can't bring myself to do it. Has anyone had this happen?
-Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

obxpelican

Re: String sticking out of my incision
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
I've had loose ends before in other stitches, I just cut them off in the past right at the skin level, it's probably nothing, but call your doctor and they might tell you the same.  One time I was not able to make my appointment to have them removed so I just did it myself.

The only thing I could see where it might not be good is if it caught on something and opened up your incision.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Yogi222

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
I had the same thing & joked with a friend that if I pulled it out with tweezers, maybe my whole incision would "unzip"!

I waited until my checkup and the PA just pulled it out with tweezers & all was fine. It was just a rogue suture (mine were disolvable) and no big deal.

Don't worry & good luck with recovery. I'm 10 weeks out and so glad I had the surgery.

Lindsey
LBHR, Dr. Friedrich Boettner, HSS NYC

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:18 AM »
Hi Lisa

It is probably a piece of stitch.  Why don't you give your doctor's office a call and ask about it - should you ignore it, pull it with tweezers or cut it off.  Best to ask if you are not sure.

I had one stitch left after Belgium that I was supposed to pull out when I got home, but let my doctor do it.  I did not want to take any chances.  They told me to just pull it with the tweezers, but I was chicken.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

grcorl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
Lisa,

This is most likely a stitch that didn't dissolve. I wouldn't pull it out, rather have the doctor do that. The biggest concern would be redness or infection in the area. I would definitely call your doctor and not wait till your post-op.

Roger

Lisa M.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
Thanks everyone. I called my Surgeons office and he confirmed that it was a stitch. He told me to take some tweezers and pull. I did and it came right out. There was not pain at all. It was literally hanging by a thread (hehe). Thanks for your messages, you made me feel much better. :-\
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat