+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Final Do's and Don'ts  (Read 1871 times)

grcorl

Final Do's and Don'ts
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
Well, I'm 19 days out since surgery and doing well. I started to walk unassisted after the 14 day...finally. I use a cane in the morning and late at night, but over all, starting to walk normal.

I have my post op appointment next week and start PT next week also. Thus my question. I know the do's and don'ts after surgery of a BHR, however, what are the permanent do's and don't of this resurfacing? Will I ever be able to bend my knee across the other knee again? How do I tie my shoe without bending too far at the hip?

I'm sure my doctor will have the answers, however, I would like to hear from the other patients.

obxpelican

Re: Final Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
A lot of doctors remove the 90 degree rule @ 6 weeks, some go longer, some shorter.

Use slip on shoes until your doctor allows you to break the 90 degree rule, use a sock puller for socks.  If you swim don't do a frog kick and don't even think of crossing your legs at the knees until you get the ok.

You will eventually be able to be unrestricted, Dr. Gross takes most of the restrictions off @ 6 months, like weight restrictions.

Dr. Gross is always cautious up until 6 months, he's never had a femoral neck fracture after 6 months and after a year you should not dislocate unless you do something really crazy.

All I can say is relax, take your time do your excercises as prescribed and you should be fine.

Chuck

Well, I'm 19 days out since surgery and doing well. I started to walk unassisted after the 14 day...finally. I use a cane in the morning and late at night, but over all, starting to walk normal.

I have my post op appointment next week and start PT next week also. Thus my question. I know the do's and don'ts after surgery of a BHR, however, what are the permanent do's and don't of this resurfacing? Will I ever be able to bend my knee across the other knee again? How do I tie my shoe without bending too far at the hip?

I'm sure my doctor will have the answers, however, I would like to hear from the other patients.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

grcorl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:10:49 PM »
Thanks Chuck.

I had two knees replaced and now on to the hips. This is a genetic problem for me. My mother has had all her joints replace starting at 48 yrs old.

My goals are Deer hunting in early December and Golfing in March. Time will Tell.

This is a GREAT Website!

Galen

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:22:20 PM by grcorl »

pamela1130

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
Wow, I am impressed that you were already walking with a cane at 14 days.  I am 14 days today, but I am still on crutches.  The PT said for me to walk will just come natural, so I am waiting.  I don't feel like I am ready for that quite yet.  Like was said here, do what your doctor says and don't try to overdo it. 

grcorl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
I'm finding that Mornings and Nights are tougher, but during the day, I take a pain pill which help me walk better. I think you will find within the next could of days, you will start to be able to walk some. The biggest thing is to be careful you don't strain the muscles by falling or twisting.

Today (19 days post op) I was finally able to put on my stocking, sock and tie my shoes by myself. Ah...the small things in life.

Good luck with your recovery.

takilasunrise

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
I don't remember my doctor telling me when it was ok to do the things you mentioned.  I just started doing them when it was comfortable and didn't feel any strain or pressure.  It took a good 18 months before I could comfortably put on a sock and shoe before the range of motion would let me.  I will be hitting my 2 year mark this January and I still have not had any problems or set backs! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat