+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When Can I sleep on my side  (Read 2463 times)

pamela1130

When Can I sleep on my side
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
Hi, This has probably been covered and is perhaps a stupid question, but when can I sleep on my side without worrying of doing any damage and are you supopse to use a pillow.  I wake up in the night wanting to move to my side, but I am afraid.  I forgot to ask my PT.  Thank you for your reply.  Pam

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: When Can I sleep on my side
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
Again, sleeping on your operated side is a very individual thing.  Some people can do it quite quickly while others take weeks to months.  It is always good to ask your surgeon when you are cleared to sleep on the operated side.  Many sleep on their unoperated side shortly after surgery.  PLace a nice large pillow between your legs to keep you legs in their proper position and you can sleep on the unoperated side whenever you feel comfortable - as long as your surgeon says OK.
I was sleeping on my unoperated side about 5 days post op.  Others do it sooner while others take much longer.

Again, healing is an individual occurance and we are all different.  If you are not sure - call the doctors office and ask - that's the easiest way.  Your PT might not know much about hip resurfacing and might restrict you while your surgeon will allow you to sleep on the unoperated side.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:30:06 AM »
Hi Pam,
I slept on my right side day 5 and the left side day 8 always keeping the pillow between my legs so they would not crossover ( i had both hips done ). When I was able to sleep on my side it made the nights so much more comfortable. My doc gave me the green light to sleep on my side as soon as I wanted to as long as I kept the pillow between my legs.

Wayne 
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

pamela1130

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
Thank you!!  I just can not imagine for the life of me getting both hips done at the same time!!   I guess I am a whimp!!  Pam

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
I tried, but it was a good 6-8 weeks before I started sleeping on my operated side.  And then I did use the pillow between my legs.  And I think it was the discomfort on my scar more than the hip itself that kept me from doing it before then.   

kb134

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
Hey Pam! No stupid questions here. We are here for eachother, and that is a very good thing. So lay it out there!
My thoughts are,
Depending when your surgery was done, your body will tell you with the discomfort you feel. Laying on the operated side to a long time for me, due to the incision and allergic reaction ... But I also have an amazing memory foam matress, which does not localize pressure as some spring matresses can do.
The most important thing, which was brought up, is to protect your operated hip from internally rotating, and thus, crossing the "mid-line" of the body too soon after surgery. You need not fear, ok, so rest your mind, soul, heart ...
You're going to be fine. Just do the pillow trick between the knees when you lie on your non-operated side as well as if your are able to lie on your operated side too.
I used the 4 inch sitting cushion in place of a pillow between my knees - its thickness was always consistent. I did have trouble sleeping at first - beginning on my back, then to my non-operated side, then back onto my back. Be as comfortable as you can. And do not worry k? You are doing great!
Best.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal