+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two weeks post op theatre trip  (Read 1961 times)

crofty

Two weeks post op theatre trip
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:14:35 AM »
Hi , i'm shortly due to have my hip done, i have been offered some thatre tickets 16 days post op. In people's experiences, would you have been able to sit in a theatre for a couple of hours or do you think it is too soon?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Two weeks post op theatre trip
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi

It is diffiuclt to tell how you will feel.  It also depends on the surgeon and the surgical skill he/she uses.  I flew for 8 1/2 hours from Belgium to the US 10 days post op.  I stretched and stood up every 45 minutes.  If the seats would have been narrow - it would have been uncomfortable for me.

We are all different.  Some people hardly leave their houses for weeks, while others are active a few days post op.  Most De Smet patients in Belgium have the same recovery I did since we all traveled long distances to get there.  We were all out sight seeing by about 4-5 days post op on one crutch.  That did not mean we were running marathons, but easily able to get around.  I was with 8 others who had the same expeirnce. It is typical for overseas surgeons.  Some of the US surgeons keep you on walkers for weeks. So it depends on your surgeon and your own recovery.  It is diffiuclt to tell.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
Hi , i'm shortly due to have my hip done, i have been offered some thatre tickets 16 days post op. In people's experiences, would you have been able to sit in a theatre for a couple of hours or do you think it is too soon?

Pat's correct, we're all different, but I'll give you my take.

I got operated on August 6th and got home August 9th to Pgh.  On the 12th of August my daughter had softball tryouts, I wanted to go watch and I sat almost 2 hours and watched it and I was fine.  I was 6 days post-op.   I even drove home some of the way back from Columbia to Pgh.

I hope you can go to the theatre after your surgery, if you do let us know how you like the show.   ;)

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

pamela1130

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
Well, I am 17 days post op today and I would say no.  I'm almost ready, but I would not feel comfortable going out to a theatre tonight in any way,  shape or form.   I think I need a few more weeks.  Don't get discouraged hearing about people site seeing in 4-5 days as I humbling think that is an exception rather than the norm, but perhaps I am wrong.  I was driven to my office one mile away one week post op and I was very uncomfortable and put out.  Anyway if your asking for an opinion, I would pass.  
Good Luck!!!  Pam

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
Hi Pam

I have to comment on your reply
Don't get discouraged hearing about people site seeing in 4-5 days as I humbling think that is an exception rather than the norm, but perhaps I am wrong.

Back in 2005, there were no surgeons performing hip resurfacing with the BHR and the few that were doing resurfacing under trials would not normally do a 61 years old woman like myself.  So it was the norm for people back then to travel to either De Smet in Belgium, a few of the surgeons in the UK or Dr. Bose or others in India.  Standard for a hip resurfacing surgery back then.  I talked to at least 50 people that went before me to Dr. De Smet in Belgium and since have talked with several hundred.  What I have learned since 2005 from these patients and now the US patients of the newer surgeons is the "Surgical Technique" makes a difference for MOST people during recovery.  Most of the patients of Dr. De Smet have the same typical recovery that I had. I was with 8 other patients while I was there - it was not a coincedence that we had the same recovery.  Most of his patients have the same easy,  quick recovery.  There have been a few that did not and a few bi-lats that were slower, but on the whole - we all had quick and easy recoveries. I was with a bi-lat who was on one crutch the same as I was after having 2 hips done.  It remarkable to see how well his patients do.

So please do not think I am bragging or trying to make another person with a slow recovery feel bad.  I am not - I am telling my true story of my hip resurfacing.  If I did not have that great outcome along with the others I was with and those that went before me and after me  - THIS WEBSITE WOULD NOT EXIST!  You have to understand it was this wonderful experince during surgery and recovery that encouraged me to TELL THE WORLD ABOUT HIP RESURFACING.

We can only tell our own stories and I believe what people say.  When they tell me they had no pain after leaving the hospital - I know because I did not either.  When they say they are having a slow and painful recovery - I believe them because I have heard about many.  I don't tell people with fast easy recoveries - don't post your information. That would be unfair.  I also don't want people to think resurfacing is a terrible ordeal which takes years to recover from.  On the average, most people do fairly well in their recoveries and eventually we all end up in the same place - out of pain and active.  Those that are slow can't hate those that recovered quickly.  Those that recover quicky can't think other people are lying when they are having problems.  Surely we are all mature enough to know we are all different and we can share our experineces without someone criticizing us. 

I spend a lot of time encouraging people to use the very experienced surgeons - which many people criticize me for.  The reason I encourage the use of the really, really experienced surgeons is because in general I have learned that their patients have quicker and easier recoveries. These top surgeons are the best in the world and have done hundreds to thousands of resurfacings.  The newer surgeons are still learning and don't have the surgical skills and experince of the top doctors.  That surgical skill often dictates the ease and quickness of a recovery.  Not always, but in general it does.  So why chance having problems when there are excellent surgeons with great track records doing resurfacing.

Lets be tolerant of all stories, slow or fast - good or bad.  We are here to support others and answer questions.  No one should feel criticized by the recovery they had or the story they tell.  All stories are presented for others to learn by.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

crofty

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »
well thank you everyone for your thoughts. I have managed to keep active so i'm hoping that this will help me recover a little quicker. I have taken a chance and accepted the ticket, i can always sell it on anyway! I will just have to avoid having too many interval drinks!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat