+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Metal Ions require revision  (Read 3147 times)

kristiiirn

High Metal Ions require revision
« on: October 30, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
Hi
I am 5 years out from bilat Gross Biomet with groin, buttock pain and stiff hip joints. I used to skate 10 miles every day after work now I'm looking forward to bilat THR.  I think there is not enough info on what to expect 5-10 years out from this surgery.  Especially for women.........
The doc thinks I have metal ion built up with possible pseudo tumor development and needs to remove all the metal even the acetabular surface.  I'm so depressed and angry
K
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:39:56 PM by Pat Walter »

B.I.L.L.

Pain resulting in Revision
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 12:16:17 AM »
Hi
I am 5 years out from bilat Gross Biomet with groin, buttock pain and stiff hip joints. I used to skate 10 miles every day after work now I'm looking forward to bilat THR.  I think there is not enough info on what to expect 5-10 years out from this surgery.  Especially for women.........
The doc thinks I have metal ion built up with possible pseudo tumor development and needs to remove all the metal even the acetabular surface.  I'm so depressed and angry
K

Aaahh man so sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted and good luck to you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: High Metal Ions require revision
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your pain and high metal ion level.  Did Dr. Gross do a blood test to determine your metal ion level? If you do have pseudo turmors and high metal ions, it definitely would be better to have a revision according to all the surgeons I have learned from.  It is a problem and starting to show up more now that we have many more people with resurfacing.  I still don't think it is or will be a major problem, but some people are being affected.

I can understand that you are upset.  I know any of us would be.  I am sorry that you will have to go thru surgery again so soon since your resurfacing. 

Please keep in touch.  We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.  I know that won't keep you from having  a revision, but we do understand your dissapointment. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat