+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Don't mean to brag, but....a 1 year hipster here!  (Read 1718 times)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
Don't mean to brag, but....a 1 year hipster here!
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »
Aloha,

It has been one year now for my new hip.  I don't mean to brag but..if you have been reading these posts you might see that insider, lol...but yeah its been a great year for me.  I am so happy with my hip and I am putting it to the test, had put it to the test early after surgery and maybe even too early but my body and hip did extremely well in its recovery. 

I am the type of guy who is always amazed at professional athletic people who get the best care because of the most moneys makes for the best recovery, and I always felt that I should be able to be at that same level body wise and all.  It was that that drove me to my desire to heal at the fastest pace that my body could handle.  I don't recommend that anyone would push themselves so hard that they ruin the work that the doctor did on their hips, I could of messed up my recovery by pushing the envelop on my recovery, but all in all it all went great for me.

I look back my year and am so amazed on what I accomplished in my year.  I look at my house and how I started to paint the outside of the house at the 5th week mark and for 2 months at 3-5 hours a day did a full coverage paint job by hand by myself, it took lots of squatting and other things.  I also am amazed on my own style of PT that I worked into my program while at the beach or anywhere else when I would do my PT.  Swimming was involved in my PT along with stretching at the beach and for strength I was using the bands and using ankle weights and pushing myself 6 day a week 2-3 times a day.

I am also amazed that I did get back into the kite surfing scene at 3 months.  By the 4th and 5th month I was kiting better then I had prior to surgery, riding as if I never had a problem.  My only suffering was a stretched muscle in my groin from a wipe out that would of taken out any muscle anyways..and that was only a 3 day injury for consistent epic surf kept coming and I wanted it.

I had visited my doctor a few weeks back for my year check up and He said see you next year!  He did say I am all good and that it will take some kind of major injury to do damage to my hip(something that would damage a normal hip), for its all good and strong, so don't worry, and then he reminded me that I am his poster child for hip resurfacing.

Besides kite surfing I have been using a longboard and surfing some nice waves lately.  I also keep doing my swimming and snorkeling a few times a month so to me..all good.   I hope this story encourages those who are resurfacing, and again..its not a race..but for me I do know my body..and this is me..I wanted to heal fast.

Aloha,
Eric

rBhr 11/3/08

wayne-0

Re: Don't mean to brag, but....a 1 year hipster here!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
Eric, Your story is just so fantastic. I'm stoked for ya in getting back in the water and really pushing yourself. I followed your recovery process over the last yr with great interest being that our lifestyles are similar. You have been a great insipration to my own recovery process. Keep up the good work.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

Re: Don't mean to brag, but....a 1 year hipster here!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
Good deal Eric !   I'm Stoked for ya.  Yeah lifes pretty good considering just over a year ago you were lying on an operating table next to your leg haha.   Good stuff.  Hope you have an epic winter over there, Lets see some pictures !! 

Wayne-O,   YOU are next !!     

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal