+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Here we go again!!  (Read 1334 times)

tex4ever54

Here we go again!!
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:52:14 AM »
Greetings All:

I am 6+ years out from a Left Hip BHR done by Dr. DeSmet. The hip is great, in fact very rarely even think about it. About a month ago, I began to notice my right groin felt as if I had pulled a muscle. It woke me up at night when I turned over or moved in a certain direction. About a week ago, while shopping the pain got so bad that I had to stop twice on the way to the car to rest and once I got there I could not bend my leg enough to get in my car. In fact I was damn near in tears and sick to my stomach because of the pain level. I made an appointment with my GP and, of course, he said what I did not want to hear - that it was probably my hip not a muscle pull. I had x-rays done and sure enough (to my highly trained medical eye - I have not got the GP's opinion yet) the was a place on the lower part of my hip that appeared to be bone on bone (no where near as noticeable as my left hip was). The speed and severity that these symptoms showed up with seem strange to me. From the time I first had discomfort in my left hip to surgery was probably fifteen years. This time around, when I aggravate the hip, the pain is already at the near intolerable stage. I am rambling on at this point but the bottom line question is any of you guys had a hip go out this fast?
Thanks in Advance!!!!!!

Double Hipster

Re: Here we go again!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
Hi I was also around 6 years between hips, currently on week 7 for a Mitch TRH on the left. In answer to your question last year I had some surgery on my left hip via the arthroscope to repair some labral lesion damage and trim off some cartilage. I was told that it was 50/50 as to whether my hip pain would clear up or not. ( This procedure can postpone the need for a resurface ). As it happened 6 weeks after surgery it was as good as new .......... for 4 months, after that the pain came back big time and I was forced to use a stick. I went for x-rays and guess what, all the remaining cartilage in the joint had virtually gone, bone on bone  .... so I guess from feeling great to terrible was around a month, so that was my time span.

Feel great now though, back to the gym, on bike and walking 3 miles a day.

Good luck

Cheers Murray
One careful owner
Right hip a BHR by Mark Bloomfield September 2003
Left hip a Mitch by Dean Michael October 2009
The rest still in original, if tarnished condition !!

Jed

Re: Here we go again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »
 A buddy of mine told of how he was completely fine, until one day, walking across a busy street, he felt a stab of pain in his hip. Two weeks later he was a permanent cripple, unable to move without a cane. He had a THR. My own right hip went slowly over 3 years or so, first stiffness, then painful 'catching' when I sat, then periodic flare ups that would radiate down into my shins, then permanent shuffling about and constant pain. Had the hip done 9 months ago (ASR) and it's great. My left hip had been going slowly over the years, stiffness but no pain. Then, about a month ago, I had the exact same experience you describe, walking, perhaps striding too far, and wham, a searing pain, as the joint, I think, reached its now reduced limit. This occurs now almost daily, particularly after exercising the other hip. So I guess for me too, it's just a matter of time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear