+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: walking unassisted  (Read 2231 times)

mpschrader

walking unassisted
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
I'm still having trouble knowing if I am ready to walk unassisted.  My PT says it is up to me, I only see her once a week.  I can walk unassisted with a little tightness that causes a limp if I don't concentrate.  If I really concentrate, I can walk normal for up to 1 mile.  I find that 1 crutch is a pain and forces me to shorten my stride too much (I'm very tall.)  I'm 20 days post.  The question is, crutch or no crutch?  My wife yells at me when I don't use the crutch but I really feel it's slowing my progress.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: walking unassisted
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
Hi Mark

I was told by Dr. De Smet who has done way over 3000 resurfacings that I use a one crutch or cane until I did not limp.  If you walk a lot without an aid and limp - you are not allowing your body to heal properly.  You need to walk without the limp and be relaxed to drop the cane or crutch.  One or two weeks extra to insure you heal properly is a very small price to pay to make sure you hip heals properly.  What's the hurry?  You have invested a lot of money and had very major surgery - give yourself time to heal.  YOu can't will your body to heal.

Be a little patient and you will reap the rewards.  Forget the macho stuff and give your body time to do what it is supposed to do.  If you don't listen to your body - you will be the one to slow your progress in injuring the surrounding area of the tissue, muscles and ligaments around your hip.  You just had very major surgery.

Listen to your wife!  You will have the rest of your life to use that hip if you let it heal properly in the first place.

Also sounds like you are not using the right sized crutch or cane.  Elbow crutches are the best because you can swing it and really move - I know because I use to walk over a mile a day by 10 days post op.  YOu are to use the crutch or cane on the unoperated side - I hope they have told you that.  If the crutch is a regular arm crutch - go buy yourself a cane that fits your height.  Nothing worse than using a walking aid that is not properly sized for your own body.

Good Luck and be patient.  It will all get better soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
When I got to where you are I would just carry my crutch until the hip muscles started bothering me, then I would just crutch it back home.

You are probably about a week away from ditching the sticks for good.  Don't be afraid to ditch the sticks.

Chuck

I'm still having trouble knowing if I am ready to walk unassisted.  My PT says it is up to me, I only see her once a week.  I can walk unassisted with a little tightness that causes a limp if I don't concentrate.  If I really concentrate, I can walk normal for up to 1 mile.  I find that 1 crutch is a pain and forces me to shorten my stride too much (I'm very tall.)  I'm 20 days post.  The question is, crutch or no crutch?  My wife yells at me when I don't use the crutch but I really feel it's slowing my progress.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
Mark,

Take your time and be patient.  Whether you use a crutch, cane or walk unassisted, it is very important to walk normally and re-establish the muscle memory necessary to walk without a limp.

I had BHR's on both hips 3-1/2 months apart.  My doctor and physical therapist insisted that I walk normally.  My therapist was especially attentive to my gait, how I was lifting my knees when I walked and making sure that I didn't revert to any kind of limp.  There was no rush to get me off the crutch or the cane, both of which I used as I recovered.

I'm about 1-1/2 years post-op on the second BHR, playing golf regularly and walking 3-5 miles almost every day.  Even running some.  The folks I play golf with are amazed when they find out I've had both hips done.  There is no evidence of any limp or other sign of what's been done.

From my personal experience, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you take your time, be patient and focus on ensuring that you enjoy a full recovery.  I was so grateful for what my doctor was able to do that I didn't want to risk screwing anything up and wanted to do everything I could to make sure that my recovery would be as complete as possible.

Best wishes to you!

Jim

pamela1130

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »
Hi, I am 24 days post op and I am still using the crutch.  I go to the doctor on Tuesday so I will see what he has to say.  I walk very well with the one crutch and I try to concentrate on my stride.  The pain in the neck is you can't use that hand to transport anything because you have the crutch in your hand.  Other than that though, I still need the security and I am not going to rush it.  I am going to listen to what my body tells me to do.  Good Luck!!! Pam

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat