+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: No Money - Option to resurfacing or THR??  (Read 2578 times)

silvercat

No Money - Option to resurfacing or THR??
« on: November 10, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »
I have been turned down at least for now by my insurance Medi-Cal.  I understand that the surfacing is very expensive so I am not surprised.  Maybe you can not answer my question here but I will ask and see what happens.

I am looking for a less expensive alternative for now that I can actually afford.  I am 60 years old and have been an athlete in my younger years until the hip started bothering me at age 50.  Many athletes get bone spurs removed.  I can see from my ex- rays and confirmed by the doctor that I have some good bone spurs on my right hip.  Is it possible to get any relief and better range of motion from bone spur removal?  I understand that it would not be permanent and that I will still not have much or any remaining cartilage  in my hip joint.   I notice that there are doctors that do laser surgery on necks and backs but I have not seen anything about hips.   Any knowledgeable replies would be helpful.

Thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: No Money - Option to resurfacing or THR??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
Hi

The only inexpensive solution to getting a hip resurfacing is to travel overseas. Unfortunately, Dr. De Smet in Belgium has gone up to almost $20,000 for travel, hotel and medical expenses.  The doctors in India are really excellent.  I know a lot of people that went to Dr. Bose and I have their stories on the website.  He is a very friendly man and there are people on my Hip Talk group that have been to him.  You can do Dr. Bose in India for about $9000 to $10,000  total with travel, hotel and medical expenses.  Dr. Bala in India is even less expensive at about $6000 for a total cost and I have some of his patients stories posted too.  People think you are crazy to go to India, but I know lots of people that have. As long as you stick with the expeirnced, well known surgeons who use the best hospitals - you are OK.  Here is a list of the hip resurfacing surgeons in India  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#IndiaDr. Ure in CA and Dr. Mont in MD I believe will also take medicare for hip resurfacing.  I think there are a few others, but not too many.  You can look up their info on my doctors list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

If you are getting to be bone on bone, there are no current solutions to hip pain and lack of movement except hip replacement at this point.  Maybe sometime many years down the road, they will be able to grow cartilage again, but it isn't happening yet.

I am not sure where you live.  I hope that helps.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vt waddler

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
just tossing this out there. There are clinical trials as well. I know a few people who have been in clinical trials for hep c drugs, and they were treated very well with excellent care.
Just an idea

A quick search shows
http://clinicaltrials.gov/search/open/intervention=hip+replacement

dimples

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
Before my resurfacing,  my range of motion was pitiful because of the bone spurs. My Dr. said that the bone spurs would come right back if I had them removed.  I would keep fighting for resurfacing surgery.  Appeal ins., look at different Drs.
Delynn
LBHR
4/30/08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:49:17 PM »
Pat:

Would be interested to know if the cost of a BHR (or other resurfacing) is really significantly higher than a THR.

Jim

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi

From what I have heard it is more expensive. That is why the surgeons normally won't accept Medicare since it is a more diffiuclt surgery and the hip device is more expensive.  It is almost impossible to get costs for THRs or hip resurfacings from doctors or hospitals.  I tried to get the cost of a THR when I did not have insurance and never did get a quote from any doctor or hospital.  It seems crazy that they can't give you a cost for a major surgery.

I have heard that a BHR device here can cost $12,000 - while the whole surgery, hosptial costs and device are that price overseas.  So obviously, they charge much more for a BHR device in the US than overseas.  All very interesting.  I don't have any printed info - sorry.  Just that I know the price my BHR was - I think about $2000 in Belgium and heard some people quoting $12,000 from their hospital bills during conversations. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mpschrader

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
I just received a copy of the bill sent to my insurance company.  The total cost for a BHR including hospital stay was $26,000. 

Tarhoo2

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
Could we get information from a professional that provides both options; an estimate for the cost for a BHR versus a THR on the same hip?

Tommy

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »
I can tell you that my hospital cost alone was 47984.60 for two nights 34677.28 of that was the BHR implant. Plus there was 690.00 lab bill, 1962.70 was anesthesiologist , 90.00 radiology. My Dr. 4112.78.  This was a very big wakeup call for me. If they do give a price make sure you get paper because hospitals will stick it to you thats what happen to me.
                                                                                  Tommy

Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

Tarhoo2

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
Thanks, Tommy.

I didn't keep accurate tabs on mine, but my best guesstimate is that they were about $50,000 each, about the same as yours.

Anyone have a ballpark idea of what a THR is, "all in?"

dw

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
my dad had two - they were about 50 grand each USD. U Penn Hospital in Philly

My resurface was probably around 45 grand all in
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:10:12 AM by dw »

Debbie

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
My Wright + was about $50K including physical therapy.

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
When you add up all the Doctors, labs, hospitals etc. my insurance comapny was billed nearly $90,000. Theu paid a lot less, but that's what the gross bills totaled.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear