+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: leg crossing after resurfacing suregery  (Read 4387 times)

Lisa M.

leg crossing after resurfacing suregery
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:11 AM »
Hi,
I thought that I knew the answer to this but my physical therapist disagrees. I thought after recovering from hip resurfacing surgery you would not have any physical restrictions. My P.T. said that she believed that I would be able to do more than I would with a total hip replacement, however I would not be able to cross my legs for the rest of my life. I believe that she is wrong, but I wanted to check with my expert panel here. Thanks Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: leg crossing after resurfacing suregery
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »
Hi Lisa

Not sure who your surgeon was or the circumstances of your surgery - but all of us cross our legs.  We have no restrictions. Many PTs don't have a clue about resurfacing.

I would suggest, just in case you had some different problem, to call your doctors office and check.  If your PT should be working closely with your doctor, then maybe they know something we don't.

Most people with resurfacing can do anything they want after they heal.

How far along are you in your recovery?

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I am nine months since my lbhr, and have all of my flexibility back and a bit more if i'm honest.

Obviously you need to check with your surgeon if you have special reasons for your restriction.

I have not been able to cross my legs for years but the are crossed as i post this and with no pain...

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

moe

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »
My first meeting with my PT, she asked me if I had implants, clueless.  ::)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Lisa M.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »
Well that is what I thought. My surgeons only restriction was the 90 degree thing for the first six weeks and no crossing my legs at that point. After six weeks he told me that I could do anything that my mind and body said I could do. He did not say anything about leg crossing in his script to the PT othere than 90 degrees flexation. I made a comment to her that It would be nice to cross my legs again and she said oh no, you will never be able to do that again. I told her that was not the case with resurfacing and she thought I was wrong and asked me to verify with my Dr. at my six week check up. I of course forgot, so I thought I would double check myself here. Thanks you guys. Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

pamela1130

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
At my 4 week check up my doctor took off all my restrictions, but I am still following the six week rule that I read on this board as I figure, what is two more weeks.  He said that I can do whatever I can comfortably do.  I just started by outside PT yesterday and didn't ask that question.  Pam

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat