+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heavy lifting and pain  (Read 1986 times)

Jed

Heavy lifting and pain
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »
I'm 9 months post op and doing really well. However the other day we were rearranging some of the furniture to make way for a new flat screen tv. Moving furniture was fine but my wife and I lugged our old tv down to the basement and it was huge, must have weighed 200 pounds or more. I did think twice about it but my surgeon had no problems with me portaging my 80 pound canoe so I thought this short lug would be ok. Well no problems moving it but next day I had some discomfort, mostly muscle aches I would say but also around the site of the scar and a bit of a feeling of weakness there. Any other stupid people out there with similar experiences, and how did they resolve themselves?

dw

Re: Heavy lifting and pain
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »
first off - you're not stupid!

I'm at almost 11 months - and learned that I needed to keep doing the PT excersises - in additon to the normal gym workouts. I thought (incorrectly) that if people are skiing at 6weeks(!) things shuold progress rapidly. Not true, there's allot of soft tissue to heal, and it takes a LONG time. 

I also realized I was still favoring the operated leg when picking things up, and all that, so I've concentrated on getting that leg more supportive when doing daily activities. I guess it get's habitual with the pain before, and the requirements after surgery.

Keep stretching and doing your excersises!

muzza

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
Jed,

I actually spoke to my surgeon yesterday about this topic.  It was my three month check up after resurfacing of my second hip.  So far I've been ultra cautious with lifting anything heavy, even though I have regained the strength to do so.  I have been renovating my house and needing to move beds, lounge suites, boxes of books etc. Till now I was getting others to do the lifting as a precaution.  When I asked my surgeon about it, he said at this stage, no restrictions on lifting at all.

He always emphasises the strength of the BHR and its ability to withstand heavy loads.  Healing muscles, tendons and  ligaments seem to be the limiting factors. Gradual overload strength training should get them back to par.   

Jed

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
Thanks fellas. It's still a bit sore, mostly in the butt but a bit easier now. Of course your initial thoughs are always have I bu....ed it up, the prosthesis that is. I do exercise quite hard, swimming and running in the water 2 times a week and 2 or 3 times a week hitting the gym, including - after warming up on the stationary bike - balancing exercises, leg extensions and curls, leg presses or squats or lunges, a thigh master type of machine (but no Suzanne Sommers!) and some butt exercises. However there always seems to be some new activity in daily life that catches you out, now and again. Shouldn't complain though, as the fellow in the bed next to me when I got my new resurfaced hip, who had a THR, two weeks ago fell off a ladder while cleaning his chimney. Shattered his femur. So he is going to be out of commission for a bit.

Jed

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
It's been about 3 weeks since I first hurt the hip and it's been up and down since then. After a week it seemed really good, but then 2 hours in a car and lugging some shopping, and it set it off again. A week later it settled down and once more, slight activity set it off. Another week, settling down, only to be provoked by again minimal activity. No pain at all bearing weight  or going up and down stairs, but carrying anything down stairs seems to easily set it off. Gone on the celebrex to help settle it down. I guess I'll have to really baby it but it is so hard once you have got used to activity again. Has anyone had a similar experience - provoking their hip and then it taking ages to settle down.
Yes it is soooo frustrating.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal