+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op- walking well, but get tired easily  (Read 1556 times)

pamela1130

6 weeks post op- walking well, but get tired easily
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
Hi all:  I am now 6 weeks post op.  I am going to PT, walking well with a very slight limp. I only use my cane if I am walking for a very long time.  I walk the dog short distances and can't wait til I can walk him a good mile.   I get very tired at night though and am sleeping 9-10 hours a night.  Was anyone else like this?  I went away overnight and came home and slept 14 straight hours.  I feel so old!!!

Pam
10/14/09, LBHR, Dr. Hanmer

Lisa M.

Re: 6 weeks post op- walking well, but get tired easily
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:33:04 AM »
Hi Pamela,
I had the exact same experience. I found it easier in the begining when I could not do anything. Once I started to feel better I expected to go back to normal life and I was very frustrated at my lack of stamina. I would go to work and come home exhausted but I wanted to do everything so badly because my hip felt better. It will go away. Your body is using all of its energy to heal. You are still in the early stages and it will take awhile. I am at eight weeks and feeling better every single day. -Lisa
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:48:10 PM »
Major surgery takes a toll on the body.  It takes a great deal of time for some people to return to their normal activity levels.  Your body is doing a lot of healing and is in recovery mode.  It took me almost 6 months to get back to my normal level, but I was 61 when I had my surgery.  Everyone is different.  Younger people get their energy back quicker normally. 

You just need to be kind to your body, take naps when tired and be patient.  It takes almost 6 months for most of the healing to occur and a full year for it to all heal.  When your body has been sliced and diced open - it has a lot of healing to do. 6 weeks post op is still early in the healing process.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pamela1130

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  Makes sense.  I wrote the post because I know my family wants me to visit in NYC to see my adult neice in a dance.  This would consist of taking a 4 hour bus ride, taking a cab and shelpin to my neice's house, staying up late (as New Yorkers do). I knew in my heart that I am not up to it.  Looks like I'll be calling them and declining.  I'm just not up to it yet.  Thank you so much, Pam

moe

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
You're making the right decision, be patient, don't do anything you don't feel ready for. The fatigue is normal.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal