+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Days Post-Op BHR w. Dr. Michael Anderson, Milwaukee, WI  (Read 2688 times)

David Wheeler

6 Days Post-Op BHR w. Dr. Michael Anderson, Milwaukee, WI
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
My right hip was resurfaced with the Birmingham appliance/method; I am scheduled for the left hip in 5 weeks (12.29). I was “suffering” with hip issues for several years; but just counted it as normal pain from running and tennis; and racquetball before that. I was an avid racquetball tournament player for 20 years; and I figure that had as much to do with my hips “going away” as anything else. There was always pain after tennis and running but in the last 10 months; it caused a complete cessation of sports and other activity. For the longest time I was unwilling to think that it was my hips since the pain was in my groin, for the most part. I now know that it is common to come to that conclusion. However, an x-ray of my hips prior to getting my right knee scoped for cartilage again, confirmed the pain as bone on bone in both hips. My knee has no evidence of arthritis.

None of the orthopods in my area are trained in HR; and the hospitals are not setup with the equipment. My daughter is a GenSurg in Milwaukee and she “scoped” out Dr. Anderson as a “good guy”.

My sense is that he has done a good job; but I time will tell. I had expectations about the recovery that have proven false though. It seems that some around here talk about loading the hip very soon; even though I’m in excellent shape, that will not be the case for me. They have been very clear in warning that I CANNOT load it beyond 50% for 4 to 6 weeks; very little rehab till I see surgeon on 12.09. Those restrictions may be specific to my case. My hips were more engaged that expected. I’m hoping my capsule and surrounding soft tissue which feeds the femoral head have not been compromised; so then I guess I’m hoping that the cautions are more related to muscle surgical intervention than expected/normal.

In my post op visit on the 9th I’d really like to be able to hear the “inner” discussions about how it all went; pros and cons. I would be comfortable with that discussion; but I really don’t know how to set it up so he would be.
The incision is 10-12”; in an arc. I had asked and was told that he prefers posterior. Prior to general anesthesia I was offered and received (when it was explained that this is NOT an epidural) a spinal morphine (Duramorph) injection. For 36 hours after the surgery I had 0 pain; I felt like I could get up and do anything. There was very little swelling (probably due to the drain which was removed before I was discharged).

Since my 5th day I have considerable swelling; I elevate as much as possible; I ice the incision, even though the swelling is to my foot. I do only the simplest “exercises” (ankle pumps, heel slides, quad sets, and terminal knee extension); the terminal knee extension really “hurt” the upper quad; so I’m assuming some surgical work went on there.

It just seems to me that I’ve got a lot of recovery to make before Dec 29th rolls around; and this new leg becomes the dominant one.

The only other thing that really caught me off guard was the use of warfarin. I discovered that this was just standard procedure for Dr. Anderson. It just seems odd that patients with standard or lower risk for DVT are treated the same as those who are at high risk of DVT.  Regardless I am taking the stuff as directed and going through the monitoring. This would not have been a deal breaker. So this is what a “big surgery is like!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 6 Days Post-Op BHR w. Dr. Michael Anderson, Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »
Hi
Congratulations on the new hip.

Yes, it sounds very conservative to not be able to put your weight on your operated hip, but you need to listen to your surgeon - not to other people's recoveries.  We are all different. Your doctor may know something we don't since we are not doctors.

Almost all surgeons use some form of blood clot prevention.  Many include shots, asprin, TEDS and other methods.  It is important because there have been several people that had hip resurfacing and almost died of blood clots.  It is a real threat - but fortunately it doesn't happen often.  If you ever suspect a problem from swelling after surgery that seems very unusal and extremely painful more than normal, don't be shy. Call your surgeon or visit the ER.  One man almost died. He was lucky that his wife insisted on a trip to the ER.  So always take major, unusual severe pain and problems seriously during your early post op recovery.

If you don't feel your hip has recovered enough for your second surgery - postpone it until you feel comfortable. We all heal at different rates and no one can predict your recovery time. 

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gazza

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi David
I had my left hip done on 3 November in Derby, England. I seem to be making a slow recovery to (having watched the video’s on this site). I am 47 yrs old and have a BMI of 29 (if this makes a difference). I am heading for week 5 now and still struggling to walk normally (I still have a limp, so still using crutches), and I can’t put my sock on in the morning without help. We don’t go for any form of PT here in the UK either. I am able to put full weight on my hip though. I suspect that soft tissue damage is the thing that is holding me back (I think we had the same incision, as mine is also 13” long, and uncomfortable to sit for any length of time). I think what Pat says about waiting for nxt hip is good advice.  But also you may find that by week 5 or 6 you feel ok to go ahead.  Things can be different for each person, and I was feeling like I must be slacking after reading how easy other people were recovering.. I have learnt to be patient and wait for my body to tell me what’s right.  If you feel ok by end of December then go for it, if not then wait until you do.
Best of luck
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

David Wheeler

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:51 AM »
Hi Gazza,
One thing for sure we are all going to recover at our own pace. I'm 9 days post op now. It confusing when i'm asked about pain because it is certainly not in the joint or like it was before pre op. The only real pain i have is in the big thigh muscle above the knee and on the outside of the leg. It is very stiff and restricts movement. I think once the swelling subsides things will progress at a faster pace. Also, I am probably overly cautious about that "only 50% loading" restriction.

I didn't mention it but my age is 56. Had i been more sensitive to my body I would have been visiting these decisions 4 years ago; but then HR would not have been an option.

I meet with Dr. Anderson in 5 days. So, the exercises I've been allowed to do, I do.

I'm sure you are anxious for your recovery to quicken and wish you the best. I have to smile about the sock thing; prior to my HR I was barely able to put my socks on; so that will be a bonus for me.

Best wishes,
David

pashley

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
Gazza I'm 5 weeks + 2 days post op and put my socks on with an aid because you're not supposed to bend past 90 degrees for 6/52 ! In last 2 days have managed to get round house (with a limp) without crutches so finally feel like I'm making some progress but I was advised to use 2 crutches for 4/52 ten 1 crutch for another 4/52 so not worrying about it and will continue using them for 3 more weeks at least outside, this hip has to last a long time so much better to do as told and make a complete if slow recovery.
     Do you live in Derby I live near Matlock ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:58:08 PM by pashley »
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

gazza

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
pashley
I live in Long Eaton, and had my Op at Derby Royal Hosp on NHS. I see you went to the main man in Birmingham, did you get him on NHS or do you have private med plan?
Dave
I been to work today, (just for a visit as Iv'e been sighned off for 6 weeks). And took crutches with me but didn't use them all day.. Paying for it now though with some lower back pain (that'll teach me). I also have discomfort on front of thigh (even now) but not sure why, its still tender if I poke it. I'm sure you'll feel much better when swelling has gone down (mine was pretty much gone by 14 days). Come 4 weeks you'll feel 10 times better than now, I think I do.
Best of luck with recovery... Keep us posted.
Garry
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM