+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trigger Points and Muscle Pain  (Read 2283 times)

Carrie

• Nov 2009 Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt
    • Us dancing prior
Trigger Points and Muscle Pain
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
Does anyone know anything about trigger points?

I've been a massage therapist for 15 years. Trigger point therapy is one of my specialties. So much pain is cause by trigger points. If you just knew a little bit about what they are, how to identify them and how to treat them (self treatment or by a professional), you could relieve yourself of much pain and restricted range of motion in a very short time.

Simply speaking, trigger points are muscle 'knots.' They can cause pain with severity comparable to passing a kidney stone or having a heart attack, or they could be the culprit behind the stiffness you've had for years.

Trigger points refer pain. The pain referral may be local or very distant, so sometimes it is a detective game to find which trigger point is causing the pain. There are many books and websites that illustrate trigger point location and referral patterns. Here is a good one:
http://www.triggerpoints.net/

Trigger points can be treated in several ways - injections, laser, muscle relaxers, but a popular and readily available way to treat trigger points is simply with direct pressure and stretching.

What causes trigger points? Trauma; Chronic postures; even thought patterns that reflect in muscular tension can over time set up trigger points.

So, let's talk trigger points, y'all! Woot!

Carrie

11/09  Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt.

Lopsided

Re: Trigger Points and Muscle Pain
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Carrie,

Where my cartilage is worn away and my bone is rubbing against bone spurs, I cannot see how 'trigger points' are pertinent.

Thank you, Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »
You are right, Dan. Trigger points are not the ONLY cause of pain. But consider this:

Yes, bones rubbing together elicit their own pain. Where trigger points come in is when the muscles crossing the joint begin and continue "muscle splinting."

Muscle splinting is what muscles do to protect you. Muscles do one of two things basically. They contract or they don't. Muscle splinting is part of the pain-spasm-pain cycle. Here is a link to a diagram of the pain-spasm-pain cycle: http://www.pain-relief-hope.com/pain-spasm-pain.html

Trigger point pain can, and most likely will, develop over time as the joint continues.

The trigger point "bible" is the Trigger Point Manual, Vol. 1 & 2, Simons & Travell.

Carrie

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »
Carrie,

Most of the advice on this site seems to be to find the most experienced surgeon, and to use devices developed through thorough clinical process.

In this respect, I am rather jealous of you - and pleased for you - that you have had what I would like, but maybe am unlikely to get, uncemented Biomet done by Dr. Gross.

However, this post seems to me to be an advert for a book.

Thank you, Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »
No, Dan, not an advent for a book.

I just know that trigger points cause alot of people pain (myself included) and decreased quality of life when, if trigger points were in a person's knowing, would provide a way to self-treat, which in turn would provide empowerment, hope, and freedom from pain to a certain degree.

Trigger point therapy is not rocket science and I just think everyone would benefit from knowing about them. I haven't seen any talk of trigger points on this site, so I thought it would be interesting to see if people know about them. I know what I know, and I don't claim to know everything about anything. I love learning and I love sharing what I know.

It is simply that.

Carrie

muzza

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
Sounds like what myotherapists treat. They also use needling, in a similar way to acupuncture.  I've had very effective treatments for muscle problems at various times.

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
It is exactly what myotherapists treat. ...I didn't know they use needles. I do know that acupuncturists treat trigger points. Dry needling it's called.

jwhornsby

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Carrie,

I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr Gross in May 2011 (4 months ago) and have been very pleased so far. What has NOT been resolved however, is that I continue to have significant trigger point problems, especially in/on/around my right buttocks and thigh. I've had this problem for several years, and sought relief from many different sources before discovering that my hip had degenerated. I was hoping that the resurfacing would eliminate, or at least improve, the problem, but it has not.

In fact, right now there are time when I can barely walk, because when I put weight on my right foot and try to walk, the muscles in my butt give way, or fail, causing me to either fall or have to grab something. It's VERY FRUSTRATING, and is making me crazy. I have begun doing my trigger point work again, sometimes with a tennis ball or similar, sometimes with a massage therapist S tool that I bought. That always HURTS exquisitely, but it does help. The problem is that I'm in Sales and sit at a computer many hours each day, which I know is part of the cause. I try to remember to get up and stretch every couple of hours, but sometimes I forget.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something I do to prevent, or eliminate these problems. My butt is literally covered with trigger points, virtually the entire area hurts when I apply pressure.

HELP, anyone?!

J.W. Hornsby
Abingdon, Virginia
Male, age 54

P.S. I've also had both knees ACL reconstructed and left Achilles rupture/repair

Neild5

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
Carrie,

I have multiple trigger points in my lower back, several I know are from walking with a limp due to the hip issues.  The worst one that was there resolved itself with the left RS, hopefully going bilat in the spring will take out a few more.  I was also dx with severe carpel tunnel in both arms and with trigger point work in my shoulders I am pain free.

50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal