+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 13 days post op  (Read 4129 times)

crofty

13 days post op
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:44:03 AM »
Just another case study for people to use as a guidance, i'm 13 days post op now and so far so good. I have managed to walk at least a mile every day since . Sleeping on my back was hard for me but i took on Pats advice and stuck a pillow between my legs and i'm able to sleep on my good side for a while.
I'm having my staples out later today so hopefully that will feel a bit better too. I have managed without painkillers for most of the time, although i did need a couple yesterday. The only discomfort i have is  stiffness and the occasional ache at the back of my knee but it is great to be rid of the pain i had before the op.

bothdone

Re: 13 days post op
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
Best wishes with your recovery.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »
It's awesome to be able to finally roll over huh?  I'm a side sleeper and man when I found out I might have to sleep on my back I was more worried about that than I was the operation.

Chuck

Just another case study for people to use as a guidance, i'm 13 days post op now and so far so good. I have managed to walk at least a mile every day since . Sleeping on my back was hard for me but i took on Pats advice and stuck a pillow between my legs and i'm able to sleep on my good side for a while.
I'm having my staples out later today so hopefully that will feel a bit better too. I have managed without painkillers for most of the time, although i did need a couple yesterday. The only discomfort i have is  stiffness and the occasional ache at the back of my knee but it is great to be rid of the pain i had before the op.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Carrie

• Nov 2009 Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt
    • Us dancing prior
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
I'm 13 days post op, too! I'm doing about the same as you. I don't have staples though.

11/09  Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt.

crofty

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
You're right Chuck, i'm looking forward to going to bed again!
Great stuff Carrie, have you had your stitches out? I had 28 staples and all came out easily and wound is healing well. I will be interested to see how you get along so keep posting. Are you a sporty person aswell?

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
Ah, yes, the bed-and-sleeping breakthrough showed up yesterday. I was able to get my leg into the bed unassisted, and I actually did sleep on the affected side for a short time last night. Sleeping on the unaffected side has been increasingly more comfortable, which I'm happy about since I am a side sleeper, too.

I don't need stitches out at all.

Yes, I'm a 'sporty' type. I LOVE to bicycle commute - vehicular cycling. For most of my life I've rode my bicycle everywhere I've needed to go, until about three years ago when my hip pain got bad enough that I had to start driving a car. I can't wait to get back on my bicycle.

I also love to hike steep hills. I love social dancing - ballroom, rhythm, and swing; west coast swing being my favorite.

Dancing was the very last activity to go as my pain increased.

Yesterday I walked a mile at a pretty good pace and with a cane. I haven't been able to walk that far in about three-plus years.

Carrie

crofty

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »
i bet you can't wait to get back to cycling and dancing again, i'm a mountain runner and also play a bit of golf, i have been advised not to run for 6 months so May 25th is pencilled in my diary!

roosevelt heights

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »
I am scheduled for 2/13/10...I cannot wait to share my experience...I live in a two story home, have either of you had challenges climbing stairs?

crofty

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 04:37:39 AM »
Hi Roosevelt, i only have 1 set of stairs to contend with in the house but have quite a few steps leading up to my house from outside and have to say that the steps have caused no problems at all. Just take it easy, especially coming back down.

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
I don't have stairs in or around my home, but I can climb stair just fine. It's no problem.

John11

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »
Interesting to see the different protocols different doctors use. I'm 1 week post op and my doc does not want me to walk too much. He is focused more on range of motion issues so I'm doing a lot of stretching (easy stretching not like hard yoga or anything).
On the other hand, if I had one, I could have been on a stationary bike the minute I got home from the hospital.
I could get around much easier on 1 crutch or with a cane at this point but the doc insists on 2 crutches for at least 3 weeks.

Stairs are not an issue for me because I was doing them the same way pre-op.
John
RBHR 12/3/09
Revision to MOM THR 5/21/10

crofty

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:56:20 AM »
Advice does seem to vary, my surgeon here in the UK wanted everyone up and walking every hour from day 2. Day 16 now for me and i'm just beginning to use 1 crutch around the house, sleeping is improving and i'm going to go to the theatre tonight and i have an aisle seat booked!

Lopsided

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:04:19 AM »
... my surgeon here in the UK wanted everyone up and walking ...

Crofty,

Which surgeon did your operation, and at what hospital?

Thank you, Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
Crofty, you seem to be very well.

Dare I ask how old are you?

Where in UK do you live?

Gav
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

crofty

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 06:30:53 AM »
Hi Gav, i'm 47 from the west midlands, things are going well thanks. I am just trying to make sure i obey the golden rules of not bending beyond the 90 degrees, twisting and leg crossing. Is your groin pain any easier? That is the only place that i feel any real discomfort too but i suppose it's only natural.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:10 AM »
Hi Crofty

It doesn't seem to be mending quickly, but what I have read on here it's something that does happen. Hopefully it will settle down. I've always had a problem with a straight leg lift since I had my op. I couldn't do one for a few weeks. Now I can do, but it does hurt my groin. I'm hoping that it will calm down.

My surgeon has told me to contact him in a few months for an ultrasound if it does not subside.

Regards

Gav
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

crofty

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
Well it's 4 weeks post op for me tomorrow, all still going well. I'm able to walk easily with the one crutch and have a slight limp around the house without one. I'm still not able to put my sock on unaided or tie my lace, in peoples experiences when were you able to do that?
I have no pain anywhere apart from numbness in the scar area. I can walk up stairs unaided quite comfortably .
My target is to walk to the top of my local hill on christmas morning with my daughter as i have done for the last few years, before the op i didn't think it would be possible but i know i will be ok now!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat