+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op and first swim !  (Read 2227 times)

pashley

6 weeks post op and first swim !
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »
been for my first swim 20 mins non step breast stroke as told to by Mr Mcminn ten a further 10mins front crawl, fine hip wise but amazing how much fitness you lose in 6 weeks !  just hope to get better daily now, can't get my own socks on yet not without difficulty anyway just about managed in changing room !
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

gazza

Re: 6 weeks post op and first swim !
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »
Nice one.
I am waiting for local swimming baths to re-open after refurb (should be week before xmas). I was swimming a couple of times a week before op. I thought breast stroke was supposed to be bad.  How did it feel later in the day?.
I have been doing some gentle cycling, and incision area feels quite sore later in the day (although pretty ok while riding my bike).
Gaz
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

pashley

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
mr mcminn says particularly breast stroke which was a surprise to me aswell, lots of advice on mcminn centre if your interested, not starting at gym until had f/u app on 17/12, I was really stiff earlier but ok now
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:02:53 PM by pashley »
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

mark

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »
Just had an 8 week check up with my surgeon Mr.O'Hara in Edgbaston,Birmingham, UK.He gave me the all clear to do whatever I feel comfortable with.I can start to play golf and work out harder in the gym.
I am still using one stick outside,but improving each day.

He said the best exercise is the breast stroke.

I told him that I had read on the internet that the breast stroke should be avoided early on in the recovery.He said that could apply to those who had the posterior approach,but if the anterior method was used there was no risk of dislocation from the breast stroke after a few weeks, and recommended trying the best stroke as soon as your wound had healed.
Mr. O'Hara is very experienced in the BHR,having carried out research and developement in the early years

pashley

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »
just taken dog for walk and forgot stick, was ok but def think I need to continue using it for while longer when out walking !
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

Jim1957

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »
I just found you guys and I'm encourage by what I've been reading.  I'm 52 years old and exactly 6 weeks post op for hip resurfacing.  I had Dr Helmy here in Melbourne Florida.  I started out as a rabbit, used a walker for 3 days, cane for one week and walking on my own since.  I missed two weeks of work and then came back.  I guess I thought I would continue this recovery rate but I seem to have slowed down.  I have a little of the groin pain y'all talk about.  I also have stiffness around the incision site.  I still can't put on my sock or tie my shoe.  My poor daughter gets that job. Like many of you, I get tired by the end of the day and I'm sleeping longer than I ever have.  My wife accuses me of overdoing and pushing too hard and she's probably right.  Anyway, I'm glad I'm in good company with the rest of you.

-Jim

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat