+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sexual relations after hip resurfacing  (Read 5805 times)

Jane

Sexual relations after hip resurfacing
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:25 AM »
Hi

As i havent notice a topic already on sexual relationships after hip resurfacing... I hope im not being to bold to start one..

I had my resurfacing in September so am nearly two months into my recovery... It seems that there are a lots of different thearies as to what is ok and what isnt... i have looked on the internet and found a few bits and pieces some useful some not..

What i wanted to know was what can you do and what cant you do...so you dont do any damage to your hip, im aware that you have to be careful about dislocating the hip.. i know that a resurfed hip is less likely to pop out than a hip replaced hip..

I havent plucked up the courage to ask my consultant as i have worked with him for 6 years and felt a bit embarrassed to ask that all important question

Is there anyone out there that has any information for the many of us who may not have asked but are interested to know..about the can's and can nots.

thanks for listening

Jane

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Sexual relations after hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
Hi Jane

Sex is always a hot topic  :D on the large Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group.  If a person takes time, you can search hundreds of emails about the subject. Problem is the search function on Yahoo is slow and difficult to use.

That said, people with new hips really do want to begin to be normal again and begin having sex again.  You are starting to feel good and want to regain your life back.

There have been many posts about positions, etc - but in reality it comes down to being cautious about your new hip.  Many feel the solution for men is - let the woman do the work and be on top or use another solution.

I have read about many men getting active quickly with some help from their partners.  I can guess there are a lot of things that are fun without even having intercourse if you are imaginative!

For women, one lady just let her newly operated hip side leg dangle off the bed.  It goes on and on with solutions to best position without straining or hurting the new hip.  I guess we could write the Kuma Sutra for Hip Resurfacing if we had time.  Just make sure you don't bring your new hip side leg up to your chest and turn it inward.  Probably you aren't able to do that yet anyways!

Use some common sense and have fun!  Many have gone before you and experimented and were just cautious while having fun.

Here are a couple excerpts from THR and sex:

Sexual function after a total hip replacement

Will I be able to resume sexual relations now that my hip has been replace?

Most patients are able to resume safe and enjoyable intercourse after hip replacement. The hip pain and stiffness that was noted before surgery will disappear, and you will find your hip to be pain-free and have better motion. However, it may take several weeks before you are comfortable with you new hip.

When can I resume sexual intercourse?

Generally it is safe to resume intercourse in about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. This will allow time for the incision and muscles around your hip to heal. This topic can be addressed at your 6-week follow-up appointment with your surgeon. Please ask if sexual activity can be resumed and which position(s) are the safest.

What positions are safe for me during intercourse?

Total hip replacement precautions need to be observed during all activities of daily living, including sexual intercourse. Your surgeon, nurse and your physical therapist will instruct you on the precautions that you should follow for everyday activities.

Most patients, male and female, prefer to resume intercourse in a passive manner in the "bottom" position. This position requires less energy. As your hip heals you may take a more active role.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:56:26 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »
Jane:

Well, so glad you brought up this topic.  I am 6 weeks post-op today and doing really well.  I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow for 6 wk. f/u and I am going to ask the 'sex' question.   ;D  If you want (and Pat thinks it's appropriate), I can relay my answers to the site.   I know my husband is very wary about the 'usual' positions.  He's so afraid he'll cause harm which is understandable.

Karen  LBHR 9-18-07 Barba

Jane

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:54:46 AM »
Hi Karen

That would be great if you could ask... the more information the better... shall be interested to see what your consultant says...

Jane

momzer2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
Jane:

I shall post my info. tomorrow afternoon.  My appt. is late morning.   :D

Karen

9-18 LBHR Barba

momzer2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »
Jane:

Well today Dr. Barba dropped all restrictions, except high impact stuff like running... >:(

He said sex is fine and said there are no position restrictions.  So wallah--you should be good to go, too.   unless your doctor is keeping restrictions on you at this point?  Are you doing okay as far as expected progress?  If so, you should be clear.  Another thought, you could call and ask his nurse.

Karen
9-18 LBHR Barba

Steve_R

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
I couldn't bring myself to ask the physio with the two women awaiting THR's so will be interested to find out too :-)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »
Glad to hear you are ready to regain your life again.  Common sense is the best rule of thumb for anything you want to do - including sex.

If it hurts - don't do it.  If it seems to be pushing the envelope - don't do it.  Use common sense and almost everthing is possible!

Enjoy and have a fun new life with a great new hip!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jane

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
Hi Karen

Thanks for founding out that information..it all sounds like good news..

My boyfriend is still worried that he will cause some harm, or that my hip will pop out, i have tried to reasure him that it is very unlikely, and that it would be just a case of giving it a try and obviously being very careful... I was told one thing by my physiotherapist when i went, that you mustnt push your knees to far up towards your chest as that could be very harmful, so i guess you would have to be extra careful with the missionary position... what do you think

I will send you a link that i found, which could be helpful  http://members.tripod.com/totallyhip1/educate/sexthr.htm 

Not sure if you would be able to get this if you are in America.. if you cant try wwwtotallyhip.org that should get you to the site...

Jane

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
I finally found Dr. De Smet's link about Sex after hip replacment
http://www.hip-clinic.com/en/html/recovery.html

Waterbed
Do not use a water bed for the six to eight weeks following your surgery or until given approval by your doctor.

SEXUAL ACTIVITY FOLLOWING TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY
Many patients and their partners experience a great deal of anxiety with respect to sexual activity following total hip arthroplasty. This section is designed to address these issues and, hopefully, allay your anxieties.

What effect will total hip arthroplasty have on sexual relations?

Patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty generally have a great deal of preoperative pain and stiffness, which not only interferes with their ambulatory ability but also with their ability to have enjoyable intercourse. Total hip arthroplasty will alleviate a significant amount of the pain and stiffness and, therefore, assist patients to enjoy comfortable intercourse.

When should total hip arthroplasty patients resume sexual intercourse?

The soft tissue envelope about the hip, namely the skin incision and the muscular elements, require approximately four to six weeks for satisfactory healing. Therefore, it is generally safe to resume sexual intercourse in approximately four to six weeks following surgery. However, patients who have a totally unremarkable and uneventful postoperative course with little to no hip pain or patients with a BHR resurfacing procedure may resume sexual activity at an earlier time.

What positions are safe and what precautions should be followed during sexual intercourse?

Total hip arthroplasty precautions have been outlined to you by your surgeon, nurse, and/or physical therapist. These precautions should be followed in all activities of daily living. Remember to avoid excessive hip flexion (bending), adduction (movement of the leg toward the midline), and internal rotation (inward rotation of the leg). Certainly combination moves such as bending and twisting of the leg should be avoided. It is generally advised that the patient assume the more passive role of being in the “bottom position”. As the hip heals, the patient may assume a more active role. After several months following arthroplasty, the patient can resume sexual activity in any comfortable position.

What should be told to your partner?

Your partner should be advised with respect to hip precautions and should have an understanding of the effect of excessive flexion, adduction and rotation. Communicate openly and freely with your partner with respect to your level of comfort, your concerns and your anxieties.

Sex following total hip arthroplasty is possible and can resume quickly provided you are aware of your hip precautions and avoid excessive combination manoeuvres. Initially, the “bottom position”, maintaining your legs abducted (spread apart) and slightly flexed will be the most safe and comfortable position, which will also require the least energy expenditure for you, the patient. As you progress further from your hip arthroplasty, you will be able to pursue a more active role in sexual intercourse. Remember, if there are any questions or concerns that you or your partner may have, feel free to query your surgeon, nurse and/or physical therapist.

In case of BHR procedure, all these precautions are of less importance because of the intrinsic stability of the prosthesis and faster rehabilitation process.

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat