+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post-op Sleeping Arrangements  (Read 2230 times)

edrosen

Post-op Sleeping Arrangements
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
I'm going to have a right hip re-surfacing in a little more than 2 weeks. At home, my  bedroom is upstairs; 1 flight of carpeted steps, handrail on 1 side.
Should I consider putting a bed downstairs to avoid the climb? I have seen some posts re using a recliner - I like that idea, but do not have one currently and am not sure I could get one into the house within the 2 weeks before my surgery.

Thanks..

Ed
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su
LBHR  12/22/15 Dr. Marwin

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Post-op Sleeping Arrangements
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »
Hi Ed

They will teach you to do stairs before you leave the hospital.  You will, however, be moving slowly and be very tender around your surgery area - so you might not want to climb up and down too many times a day in the begining.  If you have someone to help you, then it would be better.  Where is your bathroom?  Up or down.

If you don't have a recliner, get a big pile of pillows to put under your legs when laying in bed.  It makes it more comfortable and keeps your nose above your toes - for good ciruclation and preventing blood clots.  You can sit in a chair or couch - but be careful how you get up in the first few days. 

We all heal at a differet rate.  I ate all my meals in the dinning room at the Holiday Inn after leaving the hospital 2 1/2 days.  I moved slowly, but got around.  I have heard of some people that could hardly get around, but they are normally the unusual cases.  So there is no way to predict.

Who is your surgeon?

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

edrosen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
Hi Pat. There is a half bathroom downstairs in my house. I do plan on staying downstairs mostly, for the first few days.

Dr. Su is my surgeon. Interestingly, I have been advised that I don't need to worry about the 90 degree rule, nor crossing my ankles.

Thanks for your replies.
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su
LBHR  12/22/15 Dr. Marwin

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Hi

You chose a great surgeon.  Dr. Su has a lot of very happy resurfacing patients.

You will do well.  You are in good hands.

Do you have a couch on the first floor?  Just pile up your pillows under your legs on the couch and it will work like a recliner.  You will be very tired and take a lot of naps.  It takes time for the body to heal and get over the anasthesia. 

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gazza

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Hi Edrosen
I think you'll have no problem at all doing the stairs (if you could do them ok before that is). I think the recliner couch is a very good idea (but I had a posterior incision and after a short time it got painful to sit / lie down) I'm not a back sleeper either!, I slept in my bed upstairs from returning from hospital. I found that if I pulled both legs up to about 45 degrees and put a pillow between my knee’s that I could roll onto my un operated side (takes a bit of practice at first) and sleep ok. I found the best way to get into bed was to: drop onto the end of the bed and wiggle up to my pillow (I couldn’t get my operated leg in and out of bed without help for the 1st week, although I did have a sling thing to use, but found the above less disruptive to my wife in the middle of the night).
I wish you all the best for your new hip.
Keep us posted
Garry
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

moe

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
edrosen, "Lafuma" recliners are available online, collapsable, you could get one within a week in the US. The most comfortable chair ever, I'm in it right now! moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Foosball

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
I had to deal with a flight of stairs, 15 steps with a turn.  It was much easier than I thought it would be.  The hardest thing is to carry items up and down the stairs.

One of my friends lent me her combination backpack/cooler.  So every morning I would fill it up with bottled water and soda, throw in an icepack and some ice and I was set for the day.  Also I have a hoodie sweatshirt with a pouch.  Very handy to carry items.  Also got very good at using plastic grocery bags to carry food.  Once you graduate to one crutch, it becomes much simpler to carry stuff.

I strongly suggest a recliner.  I had another friend lend me her recliner.  I picked it up the night before my surgery.  I'm still using it...I might not give it back...heheheh.  It was very easy to sleep in the recliner.  6-7 hours every nite.  After a week, I would attempt to sleep in my bed every nite.  I would almost always end up back in the recliner.  Finally at about 3 weeks I was back sleeping in my bed.
RBHR - Oct 21st, 2009 - Dr. Salypongse

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat