+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight  (Read 2990 times)

Jim M

Weight
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:37:40 PM »
Considering Hip resurfacing next year. I am 51 and arthritus in both hips. I have been advised by a Dr 2 years ago that I need THR on both hips but I have been putting it off for as long as possible hoping for new technology. I am large 6-1, 265 lbs. I would not consider myself obese but large. I have read that most Dr's will not perform hip resurfacing on obese persons. Is there a general scale that Dr's use and in your experience what is the cut off for someone my size.  Thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Weight
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »
Most of the really experienced surgeons will do hip resurfacing on overweight people. I know Dr. De Smet in Belgium does. He recently did a lady that was quite over weight.

Certainly 6-1 at 265 is not very overweight. You should not have problems if you are a good candidate.  I lot of the new US doctors are very conservative.  If you have them telling you you are not a candidate - look for a new doctor.  Look at some of the really experienced docs that have done 1000 or more.  You can also get free consultations from some of the best in the world - Dr. Gross in SC, De Smet in Belgium where I went and Dr. Bose in India where many other that I know have gone.  You just email them a letter and attach your x-rays in a digital format - a .jpg file   Normallly use an image 500pixels or less on width or heighth.

Just ask the doctors what they think - you need input from the actual doctors.

Let me know if I can provide any other info.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:26:06 AM »
  I am meeting with a doctor tomorrow - 10/29/07.  I have arthritis in both hips, bone to bone contact in both hips, and severe wear in my left hip.  I'm still losing weight , but I'm concerned that at 6'0" and 287, the doc might not want to do surgery until I lose more.  Itls getting harder to move about because of the hip, but I find swimming is a great exercise for me.  Anyone out there know of any limits a doctor might have?  I would think that a severe enough hip issue would warrant surgery even with some excess weight.  BTW, I've already lost 30 lbs since 8/20/07.

Terry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:47:06 AM »
Hi again

The experienced hip resurfacing surgeons will not make you wait if you need your hips resurfaced. Weight is not the driving factor.  If you surgeon is bulking because of weight - find another surgeon.

Dr. De Smet of Belgium just recently did a very overweight young lady.  Once you have hip problems, it is very difficult to loose weight since your activities are very limited.

He said one good thing about being overweight - is your walking is good weight bearing activity since that is what rebuilds bone density.

Don't let weight be your driving issue in hip resurfacing.  If you doctor won't give you one, search for a really experienced doctor that will. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
   Thanks Pat!  My left hip (looking at x-rays) needs to be done very soon, otherwise BHR won't be an option.  I'm still able to get around, but the "ball" is flattening out on the top and if I wait too long I fear that there won't be enough bone at the ball to do the BHR.  From reading your site, if that happens I'll ask for a THR MOM, so I get the largest size replacement I can.  Thanks for having these sites available to us with hip issues.  I've learned much in the last few weeks of reading and fact finding.

Terry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »
Hi Terry

Remember, if you current surgeon says a hip resurfacing is not an option - be sure to get an opinion from other surgeons.

Dr. Gross in SC, Dr. De Smet in Belgium and Dr. Bose in India provide free consultations if you send them emails with your x-rays attached in a .jpg form.

Make sure you are really not a candidate for hip resurfacing before you accept the THR.  You are still very young at 51 and should have a hip resurfacing if possible.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »
Terry,

I know for a fact that your size is not a factor.  When I was researching my surgeon, I was contacted by a guy who was 300 lbs. and had his BHR.  He is 9 months post-op and doing super.  Of course, the closer you are to your 'perfect' weight the healthier you are and the less stress you will be exacting on your 'new' hip.  Get the surgery now and keep working on the weight loss.  What part of the country do you live in?  I'm in the midwest...

Karen

Jim M

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »
I'm in S Florida. Considering going Dr Fowble in Palm Beach, very experienced surgeon with over 300 hip resurfacings. I've just been putting this off for so long, hoping not to have to have total hip replacement. Hopefully I'm a good candidate. I will see him early next year.              Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »
Hi Jim

Don't put off seeing Dr. Fowble too long or you could lose the opportunity to have a hip resurfacing.  Hips can get so bad that you can only have a THR done. There is window of opportunity and you don't want to lose it.

If you are living your life in pain, do it sooner than later.  Too many of us waited too long.  I waited 10 years because I did not want a THR. Then I found out about hip resurfacing! 

It is great to be out of pain and get my life back.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:02:05 AM »
Karen,

I'm in Southern California - and unlike popular belief, we aren't all trim and buff here  ;D .  I'm getting an MRI on Monday to help diagnose AVN, but the doctor who ordered it only has 1 BHR under his belt, and 30-40 THR's, so I'm sending the MRI and my x-rays to a more experienced doctor (hopefully by end of next week) and with any luck will hear what he has to say soon after.  I also have an appointment with another doc here in SoCal in November - I'm trying to load up on my options  - so I hope to get some options from either doc by end of November, and if I get a quick response from out of state, even faster.

Terry

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
Jim,

I might be in that window, only because my left hip went from zero to horrible in just under 6 months.  Had no problems with the left hip - as far as I know - until after I had my right hip looked at.  Then, shortly after, the left hip became an issue.  In fact I'd say it was only 4 months from irritation to pain.  Still, I can get around with medication, and some days are better than others, but my x-rays didn't look good to me, though I'm not the expert to be sure!  In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy - Git er Done!   Seriously, do not delay - I should've had it looked at 2 months ago when I had the first stab of pain, but thinking it was a bone spur I put it off a bit. May have been the wrong thing.

Terry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »
Hi again Terry

Since you live in CA, Vicky that works closely with me on the website lives in CA too.  If you wanted to talk with someone on the phone about hip resurfacing, AVN and the experineced doctors, I am sure she would be happy to talk with you.  She works with a lot of people to give them information.

Let me know if you want to talk with her.  I can email you her number or have her call you.  Email me if you want to talk.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat