+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: DePuy Buys Finsbury  (Read 2328 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
DePuy Buys Finsbury
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Acquires Finsbury Orthopaedics Limited

WARSAW, IN – Dec. 11, 2009 – DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. has announced the acquisition of Finsbury Orthopaedics Limited, a privately held UK-based manufacturer and global distributor of orthopaedic implants. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

With the acquisition of Finsbury Orthopaedics, DePuy gains several key products, including the DeltaMotion® Ceramic-on-Ceramic Hip System, the ADEPT® Metal-on-Metal Hip Resurfacing and Total Hip System, as well as the Medial Rotation Knee™ System, the Dual Bearing Knee™ System, the BOX® Total Ankle Replacement, Tuke Saw and multiple small joint reconstructive implant lines.
DePuy Orthopaedics leads the worldwide hip market in providing the most complete range of high stability, low wear total hip implants. Finsbury Orthopaedics has pioneered advanced high performance, large diameter hip bearings that feature proprietary ceramic-on-ceramic and metal-on-metal bearing technologies designed to address the unmet needs of active patients. With the addition of the ADEPT and DeltaMotion platforms to DePuy’s existing portfolio of advanced high performance hip bearings, DePuy offers a comprehensive range of hip bearing options for clinicians worldwide.

About the DePuy Companies

DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., a Johnson & Johnson company, is a leading global provider of orthopaedic devices for hip, knee, extremities, and trauma, as well as bone cement and operating room products. It is part of the DePuy Family of Companies, which has a rich heritage of pioneering a broad range of products and solutions across the continuum of orthopaedic and neurological care. These companies are unified under one vision – Never Stop Moving™ – to express their commitment to bring meaningful innovation, shared knowledge, and quality care to patients throughout the world. Visit www.depuy.com for more information.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

toby

Re: DePuy Buys Finsbury
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
Pat,
Yes I noticed this when searching Finsbury's website.
I guess that this means that the Adept Device will be manufactured in the US. When do you think the change will take place?
Do you think that this is DePuy's endeavour to use a device based on identical principles to and rival the BHR (bearing in mind that Finsbury helped the development of the BHR and manufactured it until it was taken over by Smith and Nephew) and gain FDA approval?
I'm interested in this topic as my consultant wants to use a Finsbury Adept.
Toby
ps interesting that when I got on the DePuy site I couldn't find HR on the search!
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
Hi

I don't know if they will ever manufacture the Adept Device in the US. They can market it without manufacturing it here once they get it FDA approved.  If the FDA approval process is like the other devices, it will be years before it is FDA approved.  Stryker markets the Cormet and it is made in the UK.

Remember DePuy also has the ASR hip resurfacing device.  I don't know what all this means since I only read the articles like you do.

The Finsbury has been used overseas, so I see no reason that it is not a good device if your surgeon is suggesting it.  Wish I could tell your more, but I can't.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

toby

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
Pat,
Thanks for replying.
Yeah I agree it's very new information so difficult to predict De Puy's strategy.
I'm aware they have ASR but was thinking aloud, recognising that this device has a 'higher than anticipated revision rate' as identified in both the Australian and UK joint registry studies, and bearing in mind that some devices with similar performance to the ASR are now no longer in use, plus McMinn's rationale for it's problems etc I was letting my imagination run wild.
Regards
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz