+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Questions for the surgeon  (Read 967 times)

jwtoto

Questions for the surgeon
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »
I just read the list of questions posted on this website by Pat. There are many really great questions that I would love to have answered by every doctor that I see regarding my hip. However, when I try to picture myself asking these questions I can't get the image out of my mind of the doctor becoming irritated at being asked so many questions. Is it realistic to expect the doctor to patiently answer such  a detailed inquiry? Has anyone here successfully done it and what was the doctor's reaction?
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Questions for the surgeon
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:49:54 AM »
Hi

Absolutely, the doctor should answer all of your questions whether you have 3 or 30.  You are paying this man to determine if he is the proper person to cut you open and replace your hip.  You only have 2 hips and if this is not done properly, you could require a revision, not walk properly or even have nerve damage.

We forget in this country, that we pay the doctor to do a service for us.  They are not gods.  We hire them and in turn they will perform the service which includes answering all your questions.

Most doctors know you will be coming with a lot of questions.  Some even have a copy of the questions with the answers printed out.  If the doctor will not answer your questions, then I suggest you find another doctor.  All of the experienced hip resurfacing surgeons know their patients come to them very educated thru websites like mine. 

The overseas doctors will answer all your questions via email - no matter how many you have before surgery or after surgery.  The top surgeons here are also good about answering questions.  Some will even give you their cell phone numbers so you can call them after surgery.  Not many, but some will.  They overseas doctors like De Smet does too.

It is normally only the inexpeirnced surgeons that will not want to answer the questions. Those are the surgeons that you want to avoid anyways.  Most of the top hip resurfacing surgeons know of my website and expect questions.  Many have told me and others that hip resurfacing patients are amoung the most educated of any speciality.

Ask the questions - you deserve the answers for peace of mind.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Questions for the surgeon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
I agree with what Pat said but don't think that every doctor is going to sit and answer all your questions patiently.... the first doctor I went to here in Pgh seemed to think I was taking up too much time asking a couple of questions, the guy stood by the door with his hand on the door handle half way in the open position.  At the max I think he gave me 4 minutes.

In the end it worked out for me, the guy in Pgh barely had 100 surgeries under his belt, I looked on this site and found that others traveled to find a really experienced surgeon and I did. 

The first time I talked to my surgeon was via phone, Dr. Gross and I talked for at least 30 minutes and he never cut me off and he kept asking me if I had any other questions.  When I went down to Columbia SC our face to face meeting was the same thing, I spent another 30 minutes with him..... on the day of surgery he stopped in to my room and asked if I had any questions.

Be the best patient advocate for yourself that you can be.

Good luck

Chuck

I just read the list of questions posted on this website by Pat. There are many really great questions that I would love to have answered by every doctor that I see regarding my hip. However, when I try to picture myself asking these questions I can't get the image out of my mind of the doctor becoming irritated at being asked so many questions. Is it realistic to expect the doctor to patiently answer such  a detailed inquiry? Has anyone here successfully done it and what was the doctor's reaction?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats