+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: info on DR JONATHON YERSAMIDES IN KY  (Read 3940 times)

TGSMITH

info on DR JONATHON YERSAMIDES IN KY
« on: December 26, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »
HI,this is my first post,I would like to have any info on DR JONATHON YERASIMIDES here in Louisville,Ky.He does hip resurface the anterior way, any info  would be appreciated

obxpelican

Re: info on DR JONATHON YERSAMIDES IN KY
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
That doctor uses the direct anterior approach I think, the incision is in the front of your hip rather than the back.   

The anterior approach utilizes the same basic incision area as the posterior but the anterior approach uses a different route around the muscles.

Pat has info about the different approaches on this site.

Check out how many surgeries he's done, I think he's rather new.  Always remember, the learning curve on hip resurfacing is rather longer than total hip surgeries.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »
Hi

I am sorry, but I don't know about the doctor you mention. I only list surgeons on my Doctors List that are very experinced.  I don't even like to list surgeons that have only done 100 resurfacings.  I have a number of medical studies showing that a doctor has a steep learning curve.  I have interviewed a number of the top surgeons  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosdoctor.php  whicih talk about the learning curve and how important it is to choose a surgeon with a lot of experince.

The retention rate of the BHR before the US doctors started doing resurfacing was 99.9%   Then the US doctors started doing resurfacing in 2006.  The retention rate dropped to 96%  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bhrhistory.php There are also revision rates shown on the National Registries too which indicate that the expeirnced surgeons have less problems than the newer surgeons.  It does not mean that you will have problems with the less experinced surgeons, but why gamble being one of the 4 out of 100 patients with problems.  Stick with the top experinced surgeons.

Ask the surgeon how many resurfacings he has done - not incudling hemi-resurfacings and assisting other surgeons.  Also ask how many revisions and infections he has had of his resurfacings.  As him to explain his surgical approach. Does he use one of the special tables.  Ask what his post op protocol is so you know what to expect.  The anterior approach is much more diffiuclt than the posterior approach, so you need a really experinced surgeon to make sure you have no problems or possible nerve damage.  It always comes down to using a really experinced surgeon.

Good Luck and stay in touch. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

nkyboater

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »
1st post for me as well.  I'm scheduled with this doc in January.  Only doc I could find in OH-IN-KY that does the anterior approach.  Has the specialized tables.  Anyone out there with post op experience from this doc?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
Dr. Brooks in the Cleveland CLinic has done over 500 hip resurfacings and does the anterolateral approach.  He is the most experienced surgeon in this area. You can view his video here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosdoctor.php

From my experince of learning about hip resurfacing for the last 5 years, having the posterior approach and talking personally to many surgeons and attending the Hip Resurfacing courses - I can say the approach has little to do with your recovery.

I know may people with very fast and easy recoveries with the posterior approach including myself.  I was released from the hospital in 2 1/2 days - stayed at the Holiday Inn in Belgium with 8 other patients.  We partied the night of our release and every night after that.  We ate all our meals in the dinning room.  I was on one crutch as were the other 7. Even one of the bilaterals was only using one crutch.  I was sight seeing 5 days post op.  Had no brusing or swelling after surgery - same with all of us.  Was walking over mile a day when I came home 9 days later after an 8 1/2 hour flight from Beligum to Ohio.  I did not need the one crutch after 3 - 4 weeks.  Just kept it with me on long walks.

So approach has nothing to do with recovery.  The major factor in recovery is the surgeons skill.  If you take time to read the hundreds of stories an posts both here and on the Yahoo surfacehippy Discussion Group - you will see the trends over and over.  Use the most experinced surgeons and normally, there are always a few exceptions, but normally the top surgeons patients have good recoveries.  It takes time to read the thousands of stories as I have, but you learn a lot.  That is why I choose Dr. De Smet of Belgium - he had done over 3000 hip resurfacings and his patients have wonderful outcomes.  I was with 7 others so I know it personally.

Take time and learn about the surgeons.  Be sure to ask your surgeon for the names of 3 or 4 patients you can talk to. Ask them how their recoveries were.  Ask all the questions and make sure you feel good about the answers.  If that inner voice is saying it is not sure - then look elsewhere.  If you like the surgeon, then go with your decision.  It is all up to you.  Since you are asking for other patients input - I am guessing you have not been given names of other patients.  Call the surgeons office and ask for the names of other patients to contact.  The doctor and his office staff should be very helpful in answering all your questions.  The top surgeons will bend over backwards to answer your questions and make you feel at ease about your surgery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
Pay special attention to the many patients that said they wished they had listened to Pat and found and traveled to an experienced surgeon.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

nkyboater

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
Pat & Chuck,

Thank you for your prompt replies!  I've been looking for sometime - OA developed over a number of years.  Had a scope in NYC 5 years ago but, besides the OA spurs, had already worn through the weightbearing articular cartilage.  Rest of my body seems to be changing pretty quickly over the last year to compensate.
I spent about an hour with the doc in Louisville - very patient & answered all my questions.  Now with your list I'll ask some more.  I see a lot of mention of the learning curve for these sx's.  I realize it will all be different, but, what is the number that seems to be 'over the hump' on the learning curve? They did have a former patient who is a year out call me and we talked at length.

Great site - thank you for it.

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
Personally knowing what I know, I would want 300+ minimum before an HR --- < 100 for a THR.  The angles have to be exact with HR surgery.

Your body will re-adjust with time in most cases.  My back bothered me, it's gone now, my left hip started hurting it's fine now.

My original doctor told me he did 100 surgeries, but that included cadaviers and assists that was not even close to what I would want now.  Because of that doctor being in Pgh I was going to go with him, but after reading this site I started researching other surgeons like Gross and I found so many patients who loved him (including one from here in Pgh) I went with Gross and I have NEVER regretted traveling to him.  My family ended up enjoying SC so much I think they secretly want my left hip to go  ;-)

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat