+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guess I'm getting close  (Read 1250 times)

arc1

Guess I'm getting close
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »
I'm a really active 51 year old who got a huge shock last summer. An ortho I wa reffered to gave me the news everyone here has heard. He said is not 'if', it's 'when'.

I'm still in pretty good shape, bit I know it's getting worse. Oddly it seems the most painful thing for me is walking. Ok for a while but more than 15 minutes or so with my dog and it really gets angry. Walking hurts more than skiing, which is great for me but was a huge suprise. It's also starting to shorten my bike and ellipical sessions.

So I guess my question is this: When do I go see a resurfacing doc?
I'm guessing I'm still at least a year out from needing the procedure, but I don't want to damage it so badly I can't have a resurface.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

halfdone

Re: Guess I'm getting close
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
IMHO Now!

I think you are in a good position to spend a little time identifying and getting to know a good experienced doc.  With his/her advice and feedback you can then plan the op and the rehab (which is more fun in the summer!).  The progress of OA can be unpredictable and you show the signs of it beginning to seriously damage your quality of life, so why not be ready.  With the benefit of hindsight, I left it later than I would have if I knew then what I know now, partly because of fear of what lay beyond the operation and partly because the prosthesis was still becoming established (age 47, 2006).  I endured pain I really didn't need to and had a harder rehab recovery than if I had gone in with a little less hip deterioration (in muscular sense). 
I will be interested to hear other opinions.  Good luck. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:21:28 PM by halfdone »

arc1

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
Thanks - I wondering if I deny this hard enough if it will go away.

moe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
It won't go away, take the time now to do the research. Lot's of good info here.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

medgerton

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15:22 AM »
If you are modifying your exercise regime to accomodate your osteo hip then the time to have resurfacing surgery is now. This isn't like every other "injury" or pain you have had in your muscles/joints/tendons. Rest does not cure it. Stretching does not cure it. Motrin doesn't cure it and eventually doesn't relieve the pain either.  Cortisone did not work for me. In fact, I believe it damaged my joint more.

Your recovery time is the same if you have the procedure done tomorrow or next year. But if you have it done tomorrow you will be back doing everything you want to do one year earlier than if you wait a year. And during that year you will continue to lose function.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat