+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee to nose  (Read 2696 times)

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
Knee to nose
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
I am at 9 wks post op and feeling good.  At about 8 wks I was able to bring my knee to touch my nose with some effort.  I am stretching daily and I am hoping I can do this effortlessly soon.  I have not been able to do that for about 3yrs..

It is really the little things that I can now do that puts a smile on my face and confirms I made the correct choice.  I hope this continues without incident, and I can get back to 100%, or close to.  I remember the pain and limitations I had pre-op, and it is slowly disappearing.

Just a quick update.
Wish you all the best..

obxpelican

Re: Knee to nose
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
Please be careful not to dislocate your hip, you're still healing.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »
You must have a long nose     ;D ;D  

Haha just kidding I like to read happy stories in here.  Thats cool if it comes easy I guess. I can't touch my GOOD hip with my nose haha.  Like Chuck says just be carefull. I think the general rule is 6 months before you start to push it ?  No one knows your body better than you, just be carefull cause man how bad would it suck to pop that baby out ?  OH schiaatt I don't even want to think about it, man I get chicken skin just thinking about it....
  When I stretch and I'm trying to push it past comfortable I still grab my ass cheek with one hand and kinda pull it and hold it in place, just in case you know  ;D ;D but I'm a chicken. Glad it's going so good !!  
Good luck and keep us posted.  Bill
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:17:43 PM by B.I.L.L. »

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »
Bill,

How are you doing?

I hope all is well with that hip of yours..... I've not seen you on here in a while.

Hope your holidays went well.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

markm

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »
You are a lucky one New Turn! The Knee to Nose (flexion) worries me a lot. Not the movement restriction, its the sharp shot of pain just as I move beyond 90 degrees, hold, then moving back out of this position, another sharp shot of pain. This just does not seem normal, not like stretching a stiff muscle. Has anyone else experienced this kind of pain?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:09:47 AM by markm »
MarkM
Op Oct 10/09 ASR
Dr. Antoniou

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »
Bill,

How are you doing?

I hope all is well with that hip of yours..... I've not seen you on here in a while.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I lurk in here all the time, I've just been quiet I guess :D
Check your pm's, Bill   

larry2458

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
knee to nose at 9 weeks,thats impressive,were you supple before your hip problems ??
lbmh 16th october 2008

bothdone

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:58:51 AM »
Hi NewTurn

I'd go along with Chuck's post - be careful.  Stretching that far, that earlier, may be a bit much for your new hip.

The original post got me thinking about whether I could touch my nose to my knee after my two ops (May 2004 and March 2008).   Laying on the floor, I can comfortably get within 4 inches on both legs.    If I push the leg against something I can get there on the right but am an inch or two away on the left.    It is not something I usually do.

There is another element in this - age.   How many people without hip problems can do this in their 40s, 50s and further?    Mind you, as Larry asks, perhaps you were very supple before your hip problems.  I can only remember ever having the suppleness of a brick.   ;D

Best wishes with your recovery.

Ed
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:01:06 AM by bothdone »
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

larry2458

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:25 AM »
Hi NewTurn

I'd go along with Chuck's post - be careful.  Stretching that far, that earlier, may be a bit much for your new hip.

The original post got me thinking about whether I could touch my nose to my knee after my two ops (May 2004 and March 2008).   Laying on the floor, I can comfortably get within 4 inches on both legs.    If I push the leg against something I can get there on the right but am an inch or two away on the left.    It is not something I usually do.

There is another element in this - age.   How many people without hip problems can do this in their 40s, 50s and further?    Mind you, as Larry asks, perhaps you were very supple before your hip problems.  I can only remember ever having the suppleness of a brick.   ;D

Best wishes with your recovery.

Ed
i've just tried that test too.sat down ,bend over, nose to operated side..............no problem.tried my other leg which is deteriorating............nowhere near.failed
larry,half way
lbmh 16th october 2008

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:15 AM »
Hey Bill,

Got your PM, thanks, congrats on the new board, you deserve it!

Don't be a stranger/lurker Bill.

Chuck

Bill,

How are you doing?

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I lurk in here all the time, I've just been quiet I guess :D
Check your pm's, Bill   
Chuck
8-6-08

gazza

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
You are a lucky one New Turn! The Knee to Nose (flexion) worries me a lot. Not the movement restriction, its the sharp shot of pain just as I move beyond 90 degrees, hold, then moving back out of this position, another sharp shot of pain. This just does not seem normal, not like stretching a stiff muscle. Has anyone else experienced this kind of pain?

Markm
I get the exact same thing as you describe. Although I can get past 90. I struggle to put my sock on, and have not had any improvement with my ROM in the past 3 weeks, although I have been doing gentle stretching excersizes each day.  I had had grown bone spurs on my joint prior to op, and the sharp pain is exactly the same (even though I no longer have the spurs of course). I would be interested to know if others have had this sensation early on during thier recovery.
Garry
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »
Befor surgury I was quite stiff.  I was usually about 5inch from my noze to knee.  I had bone on bone arthritus with large osteophytes that realy restricted my motion.  After sergury it kind of still felt like I had the bone spurs that stopped my ROM, but when I pushed it (slightly) I noticed that now the ROM is slowly starting to increase.  Mind you that I bend my knee, it is not straight, and I arch my back to touch my nose to my knee.

Putting on socks and shoes is slowly becoming easier, but it is not as easy as it should be.  I know I still have a lot more healing to go, but I think because I exercised and tried to stretch regulary befor the sergury it helps some now after the surgery.

morris44

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
before surgery i could not lift my knee past my waist. 3 weeks after surgery I still could not. I asked my doctor why not and he said "hammers and saws". and he told me to take it easy with any stretching until after 6 weeks.

I got it.

I have been going light on stretching, only doing what pt says and stretching on those exercises that have some "stretch" to them, like mini lunge. But at 5 weeks now, I am happy to say i can lift my knee to about belly button height. I'll never get to my nose, never could.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat