+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 mo. wait b4 Dr. Su consult- OK to keep moving thru the pain?  (Read 1622 times)

Kathleen

2 mo. wait b4 Dr. Su consult- OK to keep moving thru the pain?
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
March 15 I meet with Dr. Su.  I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis (AVN) in left hip in July after pain and a limp didn't go away for six months. Then it never occurred to me to consider surgery, but not anymore! I am 49, fit, in good health.  If I've taken a long walk or swam, by evening my hip is so sore I don't want to move around.  How hard can I push myself?  I take (2) 75mg Arthrotec/day which now I supplement with a couple of Aleve some days.  I plan to call local ortho to get higher dose of NSAID to bide the two months.  I want to keep active because that's what I'm used to.
Thank you.

Debbie

Re: 2 mo. wait b4 Dr. Su consult- OK to keep moving thru the pain?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
I asked my doctor the same thing.  Once we had decided that I was definitely going to have the resurfacing he said to go ahead and push through the pain because everything that hurts in my own personal hip is going to be removed anyway so further damage will not make a difference.  It was better to stay in shape prior to surgery for an easier recovery and better range of motion.

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »
It is my understanding that if the hip is too badly damaged then it might be unsuitable for hip resurfacing and might need a THR.   

Perhaps Pat or someone with my knowledge could comment?

Prior to my BHRs I couldn't walk very much but continued to be active by using exercise bikes, road bikes , and rowing machines - all of which do not impact on the hip.

LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Debbie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
I think you are correct about there being a "window" and one can exceed that.  Since six months passed between deciding upon surgery and getting it done, he felt I would not exceed that window.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
Thank you.  Much appreciated.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat