+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Athlete Resurfaced and Happy  (Read 10703 times)

duck4three

Athlete Resurfaced and Happy
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »
Hello to all the Athletes!

I am two days post op and feeling great.  The progress has been fantastic and I already feel better, some swelling in the quad, but that is to be expected.  Been walking since first day post op and moved to crutches right away.  Headed home and I am excited to be on the road to recovery and getting back on the court.  I want to thank you for your posts and progress updates. 

Pat thanks for such a wonderful and informative site. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Athlete Resurfaced and Happy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
Hi

Great to hear you are doing well.  Remember - take it easy for awhile.  Be careful and don't get too carried away with your great progress. 

You will be back on the court, but for now stick to the crutches!  Have fun and dream of the great summer you are going to have.

Stay in touch.  I gave you your own topic - you deserve it.  Waiting for photos of you back in action this summer.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

duck4three

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
Thank you Pat,

Dr. Pritchett was really great, I am definately trying to take it easy and cautiously optimistic.  I am prayerful that early indications are a sign of things to come.  I am going to definitely take my time getting back on the court, (I'm in no hurry) but the summer is certainly an exciting proposition at this point if only to simply go on a pain free walk with my children.  After eight years of pain and limited range of motion the prospect of moving fluently again is exciting. 

Thank you again! 

duck4three

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
Hello Athletes,

Since Pat was kind enough to create a new area, I felt it might be a good idea to get it started off and share a bit more of my story.  Maybe others will share as well! Hopefully!  The support on this site is absolutely amazing!  I am three days post op and feeling great so far.  The first thing I would like to share is that it took me nearly two years to decide on this surgery.  I did a tremendous amount of research during that 2yr time frame, including researching doctors (ultimately decided on Dr. Pritchett, Seattle) I read studies, on failure rates, Metal Ions, FDA approvals and much more.  At some point you just have to pull the trigger right!  I only wish at this point that I had concluded sooner.  I guess when you get to the point where you don't want to go to work because of the walk from the car to your chair, it's time to do something different.

My early days were spent playing college and professional basketball for a varietly of professional teams, both domestic and international.  I am a lefty so I am not surprised that my right hip was the one to go, as I would primarily jump off my right leg.  Quite a bit of my leaping was also done off of two feet so it will be interesting to see how that goes after recovery. (Anyone with this type of experience?)  As I lost my range of motion I couldn't get my hips through (If you are an athlete you know what I mean) so my jumping was reduced significantly, virtually non existent.  Ahhhh, what will the future hold???  Possibly throwing one down???? LOL!  Ok, so that may be a little agressive, at this point I would be pleased with jogging/running down the court. 

So now the not so good, last night was a tough night sleeping, didn't get very much at all.  No pain, I just couldn't get comfortable enough to relax, i should have stayed in my recliner. 

saa115

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
...So now the not so good, last night was a tough night sleeping, didn't get very much at all.  No pain, I just couldn't get comfortable enough to relax, i should have stayed in my recliner. 

Duck4three,

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm 10 days post op and it is really difficult to get comfortable at night--no pain, but stiffness and general uncomfortable sleep.  I did find one thing that helped me.  I was getting some pain on my heels from sleeping in the same position so long.  My PT suggested putting a rolled up towel under my ankle.  That alleviated the pain.  Good luck.  I hope you get back to throwing one down...

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:08:55 AM »
Hi

Before my first BHR the idea of sleeping whilst laying on my back was one of the things I really worried about.  I always slept on one side before the op.

My advice would be to perservere with sleeping on your back.  You do get used to it.  After two BHRs there are now times when I prefer laying on my back.  I find it comfortable and relaxing.

I agree with saa's post.  Make sure your ankle on the operated leg is not touching the bed.  There's a lot of "dead" weight on the operated leg.  I used a pillow lengthwise under the leg to keep it away from the bed.  I also wedged a pillow either side of my body to stop me rolling around.   They worked.

Best wishes with both your recoveries.  As the possessor of two BHRs I can honestly say, for me, it was worth going through the operations and recoveries to get to where I am now.  On Thursday I had a relaxing pain-free 3.5 mile jog along coastal roads and paths.  Yesterday was 20km on an exercise bike and today will be a 60 minute stroll in the countryside.  Enjoying the hips!

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

duck4three

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
Thank you Saa115 and Bothdone,

The info you both provided is great.  I too am looking forward to a nice jog or even walk, although I have aspirations for some competitive hoops, it's the simple things that I really miss.

The funny thing about sleeping on my back is before the surgery there was no way I could pull that off.  My range of motion was so poor that laying on my back was a major issue.  Now I am complaining about not getting comfortable, I should probably back off of the complaint due to that fact.

An interesting thing happened while I was in the hospital, my nurse asked me if I wanted to sleep on my side of course I said yes.  So the stuck a pillow between my legs and turned me to my non operated side.  It wasn't for very long, but at least it took some pressure off.  The question is, has anyone had a similar experience and if so have you repeated it after returning home?

roosevelt heights

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
At sixth week, I can now sleep on my non surgical leg w/ a pillow wedged, YIPEE ! And get this, I was briefly able to ge to my stomache, Hallelujah !

Bothdone,

Did you have "both done" at the same time or did you do them in intervels. I am soon to be "both done, jr" on 4/5....any tricks of the trade for preparing for the second phase?

bothdone

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:13:02 AM »
Hi Roosevelt heights

I can vividly remember the thrill of sleeping on my non-surgical leg at the 6 week stage, with a pillow betwen my legs.  Another of those milestone moments in recovery for me.

There was nearly 4 years between my BHR ops.  For me, there was no need to have the second leg done until it was necessary.    I did a few easy runs after the first op but decided not to continue as I wanted to perserve the other hip as long as possible.       I found the second op went very smoothly and I got into recovery in a matter of fact way.   I was still very careful and didn't want to rush any aspect of it.   

The big difference for me was for the first op I was in a single room in a private hospital.   The second time I was in a ward in an NHS hospital.    I found the company of the ward made time go much more quickly.  I even had internet access at my bed on the second one.

Best wishes for your second op.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

roosevelt heights

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
Week 6, Drove to work today, parked in my parking spot...and walked to my office w/o a cane...I am feeling liberated !

duck4three

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
Ahh, the refreshing sound of success and freedom!

Thanks for Sharing Roosevelt Heights, as I read your post I couldn't help but have visions of doing the same thing in a few weeks!  I am glad that things are going so well for you!  Keep it coming it's great motivation.

I did a very stupid thing the other day, i took a walk around my block (with crutches) and it felt great.  The next day I was sore beyond belief.  This was just after Pat told me to take it easy, I had originally planned to walk to the corner and back, but the sun was shining and birds were chirping and I took off.  Well, I only have to learn that lesson once!

All the best to you!

roosevelt heights

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
Although embarrassing at first, I found no greater satisfaction than driving the electric cart around COSTCO or Trader Joe's to not "push it"

duck4three

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
Hello Athletes,

Feeling great again, I am really amazed at the progress that can be made from this surgery.  Navigating stairs fairly easily.  I think the walk I took the other day and the resulting soreness was very normal from the other posts that I read, also my doctor says that it's quite normal.  My PT at the hospital told me I could put as much weight on my leg as i could handle, I keep thinking I don't want to do anything stupid.  I feel like i am babying my leg right now, but just don't want to push it too much.  My first post op appointment isn't for a few days so I guess i will know more then regarding how far to push.  Right now I simply feel blessed to be up and around so much. 

Good day!

roosevelt heights

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »
Duck,

I did not explore PT for this procedure, but considering it for the next...Do they offer the same or similar exercises that they recommend post op, or do they offer something "special"...How many times per week do they recommend ?

duck4three

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
Hello Roosevelt,

I will find out in just a couple of days.  My doctor mentioned he would be giving me a PT referral, right now it doesn't seem like there is much they would be able to do.  I would rather save the PT when I can actually walk unassisted etc.  Right now I just don't see many options, I will keep you posted.

Good day!

duck4three

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
Hello Athletes,

I am now two weeks post op and feeling great, most of the swelling is gone, my muschles are firing nicely and no real issues to speak of.  However, I am reading stories of people that have walked unassisted quite a bit anywhere from 8-16 days post op!  After so many years of collegiate and professional basketball, I am a bit conservative when it comes to pushing things to soon.  Right now I am walking very easily but still using two crutches.  Sure I could push it and use one, but I don't want a limp (or very much of one) when I transition, as I know the risk of progressive injuries, you know the ones...they happen because you are nursing another injury and the limping causes your knee to hurt because it is now compensating for your hip etc.  Does anyone have thoughts on when to transition to a cane etc.  I know it's individual but I don't want to be too conservative.  I am looking for the sweet spot or close to it!  I'm just not in a hurry am I wrong?

All the best,

bothdone

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
Hi

After my second BHR I kept a record of what physical activity I did.

When I left hospital after 7 days I was using two sticks (I think you call them canes in the USA).

I kept using 2 sticks until three weeks post op, with the occasional short distance at one stick.

I then went on to one stick up to day 40 post op.

My theory was that using them wasn't doing me any harm but was probably helping me and preventing bad habits.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

saa115

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
Hey duck4three,

I'm 36yrs old and three weeks post op as of today with a left hip Stryker cormet resurfacing by Dr. Mont.  I was prescribed 6 in-home PT visits, which i highly recommend if you have never had any experience with this type of surgery.  The PT gave me daily exercises to strengthen thigh, hammy, calf, knee, etc. and improve stability following the shock of surgery.  I came home from the hospital on day 4, started PT on day 6.  By day 14, I was ok'd by the PT to go from two crutches to one crutch.  I still had a slight limp, but felt good.  I walked up and back on my block (but not all the way around ;)  and felt a bit tired, but not sore.  On day 19, I was told to continue for 10 days on my one crutch before trying to go without crutches.  This seems reasonable to me based on the strength I feel in the leg and the stability I currently have on one crutch.  I am currently doing about 1 hour of daily exercises and muscle activating movements every day to prepare the new leg.  For the record, Mont has me on "weight bearing as tolerated" with absolutely no resistance exercises allowed for the new hip until week 5.  I hope this helps.   I know the vast majority of surfacehippies recover in a year to 2 years time, but I see some reports on complications at 9 weeks, 3 months, 9 months, etc....so I am overly cautious.   Good luck!  I hope this helps.  -Scott

duck4three

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
Scott,

Thank you, thank you!  This is great to hear, I don't start PT until next week.  I don't know what to expect but your perspective helps a great deal.  I feel strong enough for one crutch (I tried a few steps) but felt like I was really favoring the new hip, more mental at this point it seems, I really don't want any issues related to me pushing to hard.  I am willing to take my time for the first year because I plan on pushing hard thereafter.  I am 38yrs old and two weeks post op so your input is very relevant to me.  Thank you for sharing, I am interested in the types of exercises to do, i am still doing the basic post op PT exercises given to me in the hospital.  I will also be traveling to my therapist, which i don't mind too much at this point.  Thanks again Scott, I'll continue to take my time.

All the best,

saa115

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 09:01:22 AM »
Duck4three,

Glad to hear you are feeling well.  It sounds like the way you feel with one crutch is the way I felt about a week ago.  You feel like you can do one crutch, but you still get pressure build up in the joint and you limp, partially b/c of the partially b/c of the pressure and partially b/c of the fear of the pressure turning to pain.  I definitely understand.  I'm taking the advice of Pat and many of the others here and staying positive, recognizing that there will be ups and downs, and always, always, following the guidelines given to me by Mont and the PT. 

The exercises I've been given to do at home include the ones the hospital PT gave me, but there are a few more that I find helpful.  I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  The exercises given to me for my rehabilitation only, are:

(note: NONE of these exercises were meant to add resistance to the hip.  0-5 weeks rehab strictly forbid resistance through weights, gravity, or bands)

Hospital PT:
1) lying on back (or in recliner), elevated leg (small pillow under knee and calf); pump ankles like a gas pedal; both feet
2) lying on back, elevated leg (two small pillows under knee only), ankle lifts, bending at knee.  Pillows help to isolate thigh and avoid use of hip muscles; both legs
3) lying on back, slide operated leg from mid line (strictly forbidden to cross mid-line) to shoulder line.  (sort of like doing 1/4 of a snow angel)
4) lying on back, heal slides.  With op leg heel on smooth surface (i use a cookie sheet), pull heel towards butt, bending knee.  Be sure not to extend past 90deg between thigh and torso
5) Sitting, feet on floor, op leg foot on smooth surface (cookie sheet), extend leg out, keeping foot on floor, then extend leg back with heel sliding behind knee 2 to 3 inches.  I felt this one in my thigh and knee quite a bit, as I had a lot of stiffness there for the first 2 weeks.

In-Home PT:
1) Standing with crutch in front; gently rock left to right shifting weight from op leg to opp leg for 1 to 2 minutes.
2) Standing with one foot ~ 1 to 2 feet in front of the other, shoulder width apart, rock back and forth (like a jab step to back off a defender); rock gently back and forth 15 times; repeat with opposite foot.  Use both crutches for support
3) Standing with both crutches, feet side by side, shoulder width apart, gently bend at the knees, 1 to 3 inches, 15 times
4) Standing with two crutches, heel taps.  Feet shoulder width apart, pick one foot up and tap the heel of this foot at spot in line with the toes of the other foot.  Keep feet shoulder width apart when tapping heel.  No crossing of legs.
5) Standing with two crutches, feet should width apart, gently pick up one foot, and move backwards at 45deg angle, approx. 4 inches, just to activate the upper thigh muscles.
6) Lying on back, both knees bent, pillow between knees, squeeze knees together and push butt down; Do not move knees or butt, try to keep everything in place and just activate the muscles.
7) After 2 weeks, I was allowed to do lifts.  Lying on my back, knees bent, I was allowed to raise my butt up to help strengthen my core.  Very gentle lifts just to activate and slightly work the muscles.
8) After 2 weeks, I was allowed to put 2 lb weights on my operated ankle, with a pillow under my knee, sitting in my chair, and do leg lifts.  The pillow isolates the thigh, so I was not working the hip. 

That's pretty much what I do everyday, 2 to 3 times a day.  I also walk a bit, but not the miles that some people have been able to do.  DO NOT do any of these exercises without consulting your phys. or PT.  I mention these only as a description of what I'm doing.  I hope your rehab goes well!  Cheers, -Scott

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear