+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Frequent urination  (Read 13142 times)

Michael1

Frequent urination
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:09 PM »
I am a 58 yr old male in reasonably good health. I had my surgery on Monday March 8 and was eleased from the hospital on Thursday March 11. Since my release I have sufered frequent late night urination ... usually around 5 or 6 times in a night. I've been tested for irinary track infection and retention issues ... both are normal. I have a slightly enlarged prostrate (sp) and prior to surgery usually had to get up twice a night ... but nothing like this. This problem makes getting a good nights sleep impossible and has increased my anxiety 10 fold. Is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience and can help with some information. Thank you ...     

tedroberts

Re: Frequent urination
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
I had a similar situation after my bi-lateral hip resurfacing.  For almost a week I had to get up and empty a bursting bladder about every hour each night.  Getting out of bed after bi-lateral hip resurfacing is no easy task much less when you are holding your pee!

Both my hips and legs were very swollen.  I think my body was getting rid of the excess fluid at night.  Why not during the day I have no idea.   I called my surgeon's office about it and they sent me to my doctor.  My doctor said don't drink water after 9:00 PM (that actually helped a bit). 

Good luck.  Hopefully this will fade away like mine did (and the swelling).

Ted Roberts, Bi-Lat BHR Jan 7, 2009 Dr. Nelson, Edina, MN 
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »
I am a 58 yr old male in reasonably good health. I had my surgery on Monday March 8 and was eleased from the hospital on Thursday March 11. Since my release I have sufered frequent late night urination ... usually around 5 or 6 times in a night. I've been tested for irinary track infection and retention issues ... both are normal. I have a slightly enlarged prostrate (sp) and prior to surgery usually had to get up twice a night ... but nothing like this. This problem makes getting a good nights sleep impossible and has increased my anxiety 10 fold. Is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience and can help with some information. Thank you ...     

Yes, I've heard a lot of people complain about frequent urination post-op, it's sometimes the result of your body reacting to the medicine you received during surgery and sometimes it's your body getting rid of excess fluid from swelling.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stephen

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
I can relate but as time goes on, it is less and less.

moe

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
I went through the same thing, the fluid has to get out somehow!  ;)  It will get better, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

rickg

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
Hey Michael...had my LBHR done on March 10. Yea, I was making frequent trips but after two weeks I was back to my normal once or twice nightly visits. The good part about it I was back to bed and sleeping in 3 minutes.  ::)
LBHR March 10, 2010 Dr. Stocks Houston,TX

PaulUK

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
I'm 4 days post op and am experiencing the same problem. I'm sure it will go away, but meanwhile here's a tip to avoid the trip to the loo: in the UK we have 2 and 4 pint plastic screwtop milk bottles with a wide neck. I'm sure you get my drift (sorry, ladies - men only!)

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
Actually post-op it's probably not a bad idea to just get up and go, you're more apt to get blood clots the less you move around--- the more you use that hip the better.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jwtoto

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
Try limiting your fluid intake after 7:00 p.m. That works for me. And don't drink when you have to get up. Just wet your lips. Also, during the day try to hold it a little longer to get you bladder to gradually get used to lasting longer.

Jerry
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
I'm 4 days post op and am experiencing the same problem. I'm sure it will go away, but meanwhile here's a tip to avoid the trip to the loo: in the UK we have 2 and 4 pint plastic screwtop milk bottles with a wide neck. I'm sure you get my drift (sorry, ladies - men only!)

I am sure you are meant to drink the milk first for good bone density.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jay

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
Hi, I am 6days post, last night I was up 6 times unloading and not just a little I had to go. I did tell my wife I felt like I was holding fluid. I felt bloated I would guess I am getting rid of excess fluid from surgery.
J

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat