+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I want to tie my own shoe....  (Read 5013 times)

roosevelt heights

I want to tie my own shoe....
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
I am nearly 8 weeks post op, when were you able to tie your own shoe ?

obxpelican

Re: I want to tie my own shoe....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
It took me 3 or 4 months for that.
  I was glad for sock pullers up until then.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »
Hi ...Big Bill here....try putting a book or two (depending on the thickness ) under your operated sides foot. It makes it a bit easier and helps the stretching process also! Small accomplishments eventually reap big goals.  8)

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.

Foosball

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:58:46 PM »
It took me about 3 months. 

8)
RBHR - Oct 21st, 2009 - Dr. Salypongse

roosevelt heights

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:15:43 AM »
All-

Thanks for the info, pretty sad when your walking and someone says, "mister, your shoe is untied and you know that you can't get to it"...At 43 yo I am not ready to sport the velcro shoes...will be patient and try the books

stephen

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
two words-"slip ons!" I can't tie my shoe either and now I have a time table to shoot for that goal without being so hard on myself. I can almost touch my foot being 5 weeks out from surgery and try to stretch the heck out of all the tightness I have in my leg. Hard to do when the muscles haven't truly woken up yet.

Tekka

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »
Hi...12-14 weeks

It will worth the wait.  Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

moe

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
I would sit on the top step of the stairs and that made it easier, sort of like the book trick. 
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

bothdone

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
I sat on the stairs too, but at the bottom.   You can lower yourself safely using the banisters, then lift your leg onto the best step for you.   You can keep your back straight and lower your arms to your foot.   It worked for me.   
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

gazza

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
Hi
I suffled about in slippers to about 3 weeks, then found I could get some slip on trainers on with a shoe horn.  I could tie my shoes at about 2 months, but I pulled my leg across my other knee and slid my foot up until I could reach it (probably not the best way). I could also put my foot on second step up from btm of stairs and tie it. I'm about 14 weeks now and don't even think about it , its just as easy as my good side.
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

rickg

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
  Guess I'm lucky on this one. Last week, which was just a little over 4 weeks I got to tie the shoe. Used the extended shoe horn to get the sneaker on and then slowly bent over to tie the sneaker.  That's the good news. Now the next day I was in a little hurry to go to a high school baseball game. Bent over a little fast and pulled a back muscle. Did not strech that day. I think what has been helping is that in the shower in the morning, I bend over with hands against the thighs and slowly bend over. I am now down to my shins. Do some slow twists also. As many have said, I listen to my body. When I have pushed, I've paid. Was in the pool last weekend..a little chilly at 65 but did walking circles for about 10 minutes. Felt great...until about 3 hours later. Muscles tightened up. Some advil and my friend Jack did a little "talking".  Felt better after that.   ::)
LBHR March 10, 2010 Dr. Stocks Houston,TX

mstar

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
I had my hip resurfaced on May 27th 2009 and still have to sit on the stairs and bring my foot to the stair below my butt to put on my shoe and I have a foot stool beside the bed to put my sock on. I am still unable to cross my right leg over my left in a sitting position.
I can, however, stand and swing my foot above my head (both sides) and do the splits both ways. I can kick my head height with both legs. I am still attending physiotherapy to try to gain more mobility in my right hip.
My physiotherapist thinks my issue lies in my backand should resolve with time. I am not ready to give up just yet. I see my surgeon on the anniversary of my BHR.

D Mstar

jwtoto

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »
Hey, here's something that might give you a little chuckle. To get my sock on this is what I do:

1. sandwich two old shoe footbeds back to back. Slip them in together heel end first into the sock. Put this on the floor. Maneuver my foot between the two footbeds and wiggle my foot into the sock.

Now I lay back onto a bed, bring my heel up to my butt and with a pair of channel locks pliers I pull out the foot beds one at a time, grab the sock and get it over my heel and then with my orangutan length arms I grab the sock and pull it on.

The shoe goes on similarly except that I don't need the footbeds and the pliers are not usually necessary.

I thought about videoing it but my hands are too tied up to handle another implement at the same time.

Jerry
                                      RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/10
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

littleb

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:02 AM »
I am at 4 1/2 weeks and dong slip on shoes. Sock, now that I have worked out a way to do by laying on my unoperated side and bringing my foot back as far as I can. I then hook the sock on my toes and pull it up. Takes a bit and sometimes a few tries. Wear low cut socks.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Gino

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
To heck with the shoes I want to be able to tie my own ICE SKATES again!!!! ;D

littleb

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
LOL, skates would probably be easier since the tie is up higher. Getting the skate on...
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz