+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wright's path technique  (Read 1861 times)

tseeley

Wright's path technique
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »
Hello all,

i was reading about wright's hip resurfacing and noticed they utilize what they call a minimally invasive "path" technique. Is this any different from the technique a surgeon using BHR would use?

Thanks,

t

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Wright's path technique
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:08:10 AM »
Hi

The minimally invasive surgery is also used by some of the surgeons that use the BHR. 

The MIS surgery uses a smaller incision than a regular surgery.  You can read about MIS with a BHR by Dr. Bose - here is the article  http://www.surfacehippy.info/misapproachbose.php

Doctors just use different techniques - some like doing the MIS surgery and others like using a large incision.  Dr. De Smet uses a large incision because he wants to get in and out as quickly as possible.  He wants to be able to see what he is doing and not disturbe anything but the immediate area he is working on.  His surgeries take about 45 minutes.  The size the of incision does not dictitate how quickly you heal or your post op recovery.  De Smet patients have some of the quickest recoveries and easy post op recoveries.

Dr. Bose patients who get a MIS also have very quick and easy recoveries.  His surgeries take longer since he is working thru a smaller incision. 

It just depends on what the surgeons prefer and what the patients prefer.

I liked the fact that De Smet gets in and out quickly. The less time you are under anasthesia, the quicker you recover. I guess MR. Tracey from the UK does his surgeries in less than 30 minutes.  He has done over 4000.   

Experience of the surgeon is much more important than the size of the incision.  If you are going to be in a swim suit and want to look - pretty - go for the MIS.  If you just want to have a great pain free, active life - choose a regular incision.

You should be chosing the doctor you feel comfortable with first - then know that he/she will give you what they think is best.  Even the hip device, whether BHR, Wright C+ or others really don't make that much difference.  It is the SURGEON SKILL that makes the difference.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tseeley

Re: Wright's path technique
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
Thanks again Pat....you're great! I guess the other big point is to not cut through too much muscle, and i guess that is not really dictated by the size of the incision.

tom

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat