+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 15 days post op - numb skin section  (Read 2347 times)

dougmint

15 days post op - numb skin section
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
41 year old male.  Had S&N device put in my right hip 15 days ago.  Wound was glued closed (no stitches or staples).  When showering tonight, I noticed a 4 inch long by 2 inch wide section of my skin, just rearward of wound that is numb.  I can pinch the skin in this area and cannot feel it.  Every other aspect of recovery is going good.  I will call the doctor tomorrow, but anyone have any thoughts as to what could be going on.  This worries me.

obxpelican

Re: 15 days post op - numb skin section
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Early on I had some numbness around my incision, I can't remember how long it too to come back.... remember your doctor did a lot of cutting.

Call your doctor, but it does not sound bad to me as you're every early in recovery, especially when it's the surface area.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
Hi

It is always good to call your doctor when you have questions.

Many people have numb spots after surgery.  Some are very large areas about anywhere up or down from the incision area, others smaller areas.  YOu have just have very major surgery and it is not unusual to have such areas.  There has been a lot cut during your surgery.  It usually takes awhile for the sensitivity to return.  Usually it always does.  Some pepole have larger areas that have taken many months to return. It is an individual things.

Good Luck and remember you are very early in your recovery.  Many things will happen and be unusual, but unless there is great pain, it is pretty normal stuff.

It is always good to ask your doctor if you have questions. That way you are always safe than sorry.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JMB

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
I had a numb area about a half inch deep all along the rear side of my incision.  It took about six months to go away, but the sensation did return, presumably as the cut nerves regrew. 

dougmint

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
I had a numb area about a half inch deep all along the rear side of my incision.  It took about six months to go away, but the sensation did return, presumably as the cut nerves regrew. 

I don't think nerves are cut as part of this operation.  Am I wrong?

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
Major nerve trunk lines NO, but you have many nerves that react to touch in and around your incision that get cut.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat