+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 weeks  (Read 2209 times)

atbower

3 weeks
« on: April 08, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
Just wanted to take a virginal jump into the hippy chat pool as my surgery date is getting thrillingly close!  46yr old scheduled 4/28 with Dr. Brooks in Cleveland.  I will be traveling roughly 5 hours from SoCen PA.  I am a nurse and cracking myself up that I have not met him but feel completely ready to GO!  I feel like this is the right surgery for me and need to thank a patient I did a stress test on, who first mentioned this surgery as a possiblity and referred me to this website.  And boy am I ready--this was quite a journey to get to this final month.  At this point I am walking around with a butter knife offering it to anybody who is willing to cut me and fix it!  Well, close to that anyway. 
The only concern I have would be setbacks or complications considering the distance I will be from Cleveland.  I am hoping to go home to PA the day after I am discharged.  I guess, like everyone, praying that the surgery and recovery go smoothly. 
Thanks for all the good information and discussion. 

obxpelican

Re: 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
Many people make treks for their surgery, I went from Pgh to Columbia, SC.... almost 9 hours, I drove home around 4 hours back when I was day 3 post-op.

Don't worry about the trip, take a break every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get out and stretch, make sure they teach you foot pumps so you don't end up with a blood clot.

You'll do fine, thousands of us have done it and many of them have traveled.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
I can't address the travelling issue, as my BHR's (at age 47/48, 3-1/2 months apart) were performed by a local orthopaedist, but I can tell you, with your attitude and a good surgeon, you will be a very happy camper after your surgery.  Even though I am generally a pretty impatient person and recovery from the surgery requires some patience, I found myself relishing my post-surgery walks, whether with crutches, cane or no assistance, with the appreciation that pain-free mobility had been restored.

I wish you much success with this and hope that you will be as happy as I have been with the outcome.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Hi

Since the doctor should know you have a 5 hour trip ahead of you, he will make sure you are capable of doing the traveling.  You will need to get out and walk every hour.  I flew 8 1/2 hours to Beligum for my surgery. They would not let me fly for 9 days post op and I had to take extra heprin shots before my flight back.  I got up and walked every hour.  Most people travel for their surgeries.  If you need to stay an extra day or two, then get a hotel and rest up. A lot will depend on how you feel.  Just make sure he knows you need to travel for 5 hours. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

atbower

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I am starting to make lists which means I must be really getting close.  I am glad to find a place where people truly know what this hip situation can do to your life.  I was driving with my husband one day and passed a woman running alone side of the road, roughly my age, and I burst into tears.  I was so jealous and just wanted to RUN again. I think alot of that is buried in there and I was surprised at the intensity of my longing for my life back. I am planning to maximize its longevity with low impact exercise but I am really hoping to run one 5K race and then move on. 

Questions for the ladies: thinking I was going to get tear away basketball pants (in pink!) for the hospital. Yes? Obviously the incision has to be available for inspection etc etc so I thought that would work. Any other thoughts? 

moe

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »
Not a lady, but wear loose pants, there will be swelling. I'm a skinny guy and I had a butt and hips like an NFL lineman, lol.  ;D You'll be fine, moe
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:54:18 PM by moe »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
Tear aways work well.  I had several pairs.  Silk PJs work too.  Anything that is slippery helps when you are rotating your butt trying to get in and out of bed.  A plastic bag underneather you on the car seat helps to rotate into the car also.

Anything large and loose will work fine.  It is diffiuclt getting pants on and off for awhile.  Takes a bit of doing if you don't have help.  Same with socks and shoes.  You can manage by yourself, but it is easier with some help.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM