+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Scott Ball  (Read 4884 times)

gpmurfdog

Dr Scott Ball
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
In Dec, 2007 I will have hip resurfacing done by Dr. Scott Ball in San Diego,Ca. Has anyone had
surgury from him and how did it go?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:02:10 PM by Pat Walter »

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
Re: Dr Scott Ball
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:55:15 PM »
  Not yet, but I've a consultation with him on the 27th of this month about my hips.  I'm also sending x-rays and MRI's to Dr. Gross in SC, and digital pics of my x-rays to Dr. Bose in India.  I'm hoping to get in with someone fairly soon to fix my hips, provided they haven't worn down too far.  How was your consultation with him?

Terry

gpmurfdog

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »
Hi Terry,Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but this is the first time to use a message board.
I am 55years old and will get my left hip resurfaced in Dec 2007. I thought Dr. Ball was great. His
office is in the same building as the hospital and he has done over 250 resurfacings. Blue Cross
approved it.Yesterday I took a walk of about a half mile and could hardly make it home .
                                                                           Paul

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:23 PM »
   I currently have Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Massachusetts from my job, and saw that Dr. Ball is on the provider list.  I had my MRI's on Monday, and will get the review of them on this coming Monday.  I'm taking a copy of them to Dr. Ball as well as my x-rays on my appointment.  I'm also going to send copies of my x-rays and MRI results to Dr. Gross in South Carolina next week.  I'm trying to cover all my bases and see how soon and where I can get the treatment I need.  How long after your appointment with Dr. Ball are you getting your surgery? 

I know how painful it can be walking.  My left leg has gotten a bit shorter with the bone wear, and my right hip is hurting a little more each day it seems.  It's amazing how 1 year ago, all I had was a slight twinge in my right hip, and now it hurts and my left hip has really degenerated in just a few months.  I'm glad you're getting it done soon.

Terry

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »
DelMar Surfer,

Im glad to hear you're getting it taken care of soon.  My hips aren't too bad in the morning, but by the end of the day, I'm moving like a turtle.  I've a consultation with Dr. Ball on teh 27th of this month, and hopefully won't have to wait too long to get my hips done.  I'm also sending copies of my info to Dr. Gross in South Carolina - might as well stack the cards in my favor.  I wouldn't wish this pain and feeling of helplessness on anyone.  I'm sure your surgery will go fine.  I'm sure all of here will be thinking of you and look forward to hearing how it goes.

Terry

BUK10

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
 I had My Pre-Op Consultation @ UCSD Thornton Hospital ( Dr. Scott Ball )       

Just had my Pre-Op Cunsultation @ UCSD Thornton Hospital with Dr. Scott Ball's
team. Dustyn is his PA- Physicians Assistant. He is great and will answer any
and all questions. They gave me the typical rundown of the risks associated with
a Bilateral Resurfacing.

- Possible blood transfusion ( 15% risk )
- Possibility of waking up with THR'(s)
- Infection
- Total surgery time TBD @ 4-5 hours.
- Anesthesia is an epidural blocker ( hip region) with general Anesthesia
- I am 39 years old and in good health - ( blood pressure went up today after
discussing the surgery. Wish they would have taken it when I first got there.
Dustyn says they kind of do that on purpose, which I can understand.
Etc..

My Bilateral Hip Resurfacing surgery is scheduled for This Friday the 31st @ 9
am. We are using the ASR* -Articular Surface Replacement System by DePuy as my
implants. I asked Dr. Ball to email me my "templated" Xrays with the ASR
Implants and he did. It is very exciting to see those.

Updates to follow,
Andre

DirkV

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »
Hi Andre,
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I'm a Dr. Ball patient who is delighted with my resurfaced hips. Pat posted my "hip story" on this site (http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories08/dirkvandyke08.php).
At this point, approx 1 1/2 yr post op, I've pretty much forgotten that I had hip arthritis and now have prosthetic hips. I get a surprise reminder on occasion when I catch a glimpse of my butt in the mirror and see the crescent scar  :) . Otherwise life is good "on the other side."
Your first few weeks will require some mental perseverance, but take pleasure in the many small improvements you will make.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM