+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 14 Days Post Op - What Next?  (Read 10545 times)

Hip-Bob

14 Days Post Op - What Next?
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
I'm 14 days post-op after a right-side BHR in London UK.  From discharge, after 4 nights, I've been building up my walking and am now up to 2-3 miles per day and, today, discarded the single elbow crutch and replaced it with a single walking pole. 

Am pretty much pain free, except from stiffness if I sit too long, so pretty much pain med free.  (Just the occasional dose of paracetamol when I over do it!)

My question is what should I concentrate on next?  Increasing the distance?  Stairs? (I'm still favouring my operated on leg when climbing stairs) 

Provided I set the saddle high, can I start some road cycling, and when can I get back on to my rowing machine?

Not trying to be macho, just want to progress at a steady pace, so I can return to the grind of daily commuting!

Bob

PaulUK

Re: 14 Days Post Op - What Next?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
Hi Bob,

I've no advice I'm afraid, as I am due to have a right side BHR in a London hospital on 4th May, but I was very heartened to read how well you are doing. I hope I can emulate you! Which hospital and consultant did your op? I am booked with Mr Skinner at RNOH at Stanmore.

Paul

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »
Hey Bob,

It's not really up to us how far you can push it, what are your doctors orders?  Do you have a 90 degree limitation?  Any other limitations? 

Listen to your doctor, he will know what limitations, but most doctors will tell you to listen to your body within reason and not doing something crazy.  Right now you are at great risk of a femoral neck fracture if you do something where you might fall.... protect yourself, the last thing any of us hippies want to hear is a revision, especially since you seem to be doing well.

Chuck

I'm 14 days post-op after a right-side BHR in London UK.  From discharge, after 4 nights, I've been building up my walking and am now up to 2-3 miles per day and, today, discarded the single elbow crutch and replaced it with a single walking pole. 

Am pretty much pain free, except from stiffness if I sit too long, so pretty much pain med free.  (Just the occasional dose of paracetamol when I over do it!)

My question is what should I concentrate on next?  Increasing the distance?  Stairs? (I'm still favouring my operated on leg when climbing stairs) 

Provided I set the saddle high, can I start some road cycling, and when can I get back on to my rowing machine?

Not trying to be macho, just want to progress at a steady pace, so I can return to the grind of daily commuting!

Bob

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Hip-Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
Hi Paul

My surgeon was Miss Muirhead-Allwood and I had my op in The Princess Grace Hospital in Marylebone.  Good luck for the 4th May.

Hi Chuck

No firm 90 degree limitation or any others, but I take your point regarding the risk of a femoral neck fracture; walking certainly feels safer than cycling I guess.  For now, I'll focus on steadily increasing my daily distance and exercises to increase my overall range of movement.

Regards

Bob

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »
Walking is your best excercise early on, listen to your body and your doctor and you'll be fine, you sound like you are doing really well, don't mess it up or I'll find my old crutches and pop you on the head with them.   ;D

Keep up the good recovery and keep us all up to date.

BTW--- range of movement will come on it's own, most people do fine, even with out PT.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

PaulUK

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:52:11 AM »
Hi Bob,

You've maybe already seen this, but elsewhere ion this site it mentions how good stationary exercise biking is for recovery, according to a study here :

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/92/4/814

This is what I plan to do post-op.

Paul

Hip-Bob

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:15 AM »
OK Chuck, I hear you, and I'm listening!  Did 3.25 miles of gentle road walking yesterday, going for 4 today.

Hi Paul

Yes, had seen this via another route and that's what prompted the question regarding road cycling as I have a cycle, but don't have a stationary exercise bike. 

Do you have any idea of the type of stationary bike they are referring to?  I guess something akin to what most gyms use that has magnetic resistance will be OK.

This approach will definitely be safer that road cycling, so maybe I'll take a look on Ebay.

Regards

Bob

PaulUK

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
Hi Bob,

I haven't read the full report, but the bike sounds like a normal gym bike as you say. I bought a pretty neat folding magnetic bike last week from Argos for £79.99, after a few failed bids on eBay:
http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/3027114/reviews.htm

Paul

DirkV

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »
Hi Bob,
Congrats on the shiny new hip!
As a serious recreational cyclist, I was pleased that my surgeon recommends cycling as soon as possible after surgery (not on the road).
As an alternative to a gym/stationary bike, you might consider what we call a track stand or trainer stand in the US - where you afix your road bike to the holder/resistance apparatus. I used my surgery as justification to buy this piece of training equipment, and now a couple years post-op still use the trainer when bad weather precludes outside riding. I can also use it for other resistance training.
Getting on the bike can be a bit of challenge, but not insurmountable.

Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Hip-Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:45 AM »
Paul, Dirk

Thanks for the information, I'll look into both of those options.

Am 21 days post-op now, have walked over 5 miles some days, and no pain meds for over a week now.  Am working on descending and climbing stairs normally.  I even ventured into London on the train/tube a couple of times.

Paul, good luck for Tuesday, let us know how you are getting on.

Regards

Bob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat